Steelers fans, do you feel WHOLE?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Or, do you feel the last 2 Titles you 'earned' were hand wrapped to you by the officials?

How the Refs Won the Super Bowl

by Daniel Brommer (Scribe)
5 363 reads
Game Recap
February 02, 2009

Today's Must Reads

<H2>http://bleacherreport.com/articles/118515-a-winter-of-discontent-the-robbie-keane-story

<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> var fansnap_syndslot_clientId = "320532980-127719648"; </SCRIPT></H2>

I already know how much this article is going to tick off you Steelers fans, but after thinking about that for about I don't know, A SECOND! I've decided it doesn't matter. The referees in last nights Super Bowl pretty much gift wrapped a win for the beloved Steelers.
That was by far the worst officiating in any game I've ever seen. Having said that, I have to have some sort of evidence.
Here it goes, roughing the passer on 3rd-and-long? Even Big Ben has to admit that was a little much. I mean come on, why don't quarterbacks turn in their pads for some skirts. How much longer is this going to go on?
Honestly not even a brick wall can stop a 300-pound defensive lineman when their momentum is carrying them. That was when I first realized this game was a little fishy. Then the roughing the holder, yep I did say the HOLDER, I don't even have to explain myself on that one.
Then you have to add the clipping. Most of you are probably thinking what clipping? I'm talking about the incredibly visible clip on Tim Hightower on the 15-yard line on James Harrison's interception return. Are you kidding me?! That was the outcome of the game, you can't just leave a game like that up to horrible calls.
  • B/R Ticket Guide
Powered by FanSnap.com
<SCRIPT src="http://synd.fansnap.com/synd/js/search?clientId=320532980-127719648&num=3&page=1&_category=nfl&_headliner=Pittsburgh Steelers&_location=&q=&class=fansnap_syndslot"></SCRIPT>
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>fansnap_syndslot_get_headliner();fansnap_syndslot_get_category();var fansnap_syndslot_instance = new fansnap_syndslot();var fansnap_script_include = new Element('script');fansnap_script_include.src = fansnap_syndslot_instance.server + '/synd/js/search?' + fansnap_syndslot_instance.params();$('fansnap-instance').insert(fansnap_script_include);</SCRIPT>Then came the icing on the cake. The last play of the game. Clearly that wasn't a fumble. Last I checked, if you still have a firm grip on the ball, like Warner had, and your arm is going in a forward motion, that's an incomplete pass, not a fumble.
I wonder how much Daniel Rooney was paying these guys. The worst officiating crew in NFL history. This makes what Ed Hochuli did in the Denver and San Diego game look like a minor offense.
The bottom line is this, the Arizona Cardinals got screwed in every single aspect of the game. They deserved to win that game although everyone counted them out. And that mighty defense of the Steelers? What mighty defense?
When Kurt Warner at the ripe age of 37 is passing for well over 300 yards and three touchdowns, I would say that defense didn't show up.
Congratulations Pittsburgh on another undeserving Super Bowl win. Just like in 2005, the Seahawks are still shaking their heads. What is with this love affair that the NFL has with the Steelers?
I think the Rooney's have contributed a ton to the NFL and for the most part the Steelers have been an amazing organization, but can we honestly sit back and let this stuff go? What if they had been playing the Giants or the Panthers, would it have been a different story?
I mean, Arizona wasn't expected to go, and some people wanted a Cinderella story, but it seemed like the NFL couldn't allow that Cinderella story to be against the Steelers.
Let me hear what you guys think, because I think that was a crime.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Re: Steelers fans, do you feel WHOLE?

doesn't bother me one bit

Really? Wouldnt you prefer a no doubt victory? Wouldn't you prefer a game where it was a no doubt crushing by 20 or 30 points? Wouldn't you prefer a game where everyone WAS FORCED to give the Steelers credit and the refs were no factor because the steelers were by far the superior team? I know i would.

texansfan

EOG Master

I was on Arizona fwiw and there was nothing the officials did or didn't do that affected the outcome of the game. Were there questionable calls made in the game? I think so. However, I don't believe anything called affected the final score...

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I was on Arizona fwiw and there was nothing the officials did or didn't do that affected the outcome of the game. Were there questionable calls made in the game? I think so. However, I don't believe anything called affected the final score...

But, its was apparant that this game, these teams were very equally matched. This game could have went either way. Take away the fluke Harrison play and Az might win by double digits. When teams are this evenly matched, ANY wrong call can be the difference. Not calling the 15 yard penalty on the prop-celebration might have been the difference. You never know where or when a mistake by the officials is going to be the difference in the game.

texansfan

EOG Master

The only thing I questioned was the lack of a review on the fumble by Warner to end the game. I've heard they looked at it during a commercial but who knows.

Were there bad calls? Yep. The roughing on Ben was one. The ridiculous call when the rusher knocked over the holder was another.

Bottomline, Ari could have won the game by not allowing Pitt to march down the field at the end of the game.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The only thing I questioned was the lack of a review on the fumble by Warner to end the game. I've heard they looked at it during a commercial but who knows.

Were there bad calls? Yep. The roughing on Ben was one. The ridiculous call when the rusher knocked over the holder was another.

Bottomline, Ari could have won the game by not allowing Pitt to march down the field at the end of the game.

That's all true. Quite possibly Pitt would have won regardless of all the mistakes by the officiating. I just want to know if the Pitt fans care that almost the entire body of NFL fans believe the Cards (and Seahawks) got screwed and really don't want to give the Steelers the credit they deserve. Does that hurt your heart to know many think you won these SBs because Rooney is loved by the NFL and not because you were the superior team.

texansfan

EOG Master

The one thing I do know is that Renfro caught the ball for a TD against Pitt in the AFC championship.

But, its was apparant that this game, these teams were very equally matched. This game could have went either way. Take away the fluke Harrison play and Az might win by double digits. When teams are this evenly matched, ANY wrong call can be the difference. Not calling the 15 yard penalty on the prop-celebration might have been the difference. You never know where or when a mistake by the officials is going to be the difference in the game.

Pittsburgh is known to play conservative ball when they have the lead, so how they would have played the second half had the interception not occured is likely different than how it was played with it. The fact is, Ben's tip in the air INT isn't the same as Kurt's clear mistake - and the officials didn't cause that. What I find funny is that when Arizona was on third down, missed the first by at least a foot, yet the refs gave it to them with an extremely generous spot for a first down and a continuation of a drive that the Pitt D had legitimately stopped. No one's barking about that one, are they?

Pittsburgh played arguably the toughest schedule in the league to get to the Super Bowl, while Zona played the NFC South - twice.
The better team won that football game, refs or not. 12io4j2w90

The one thing I do know is that Renfro caught the ball for a TD against Pitt in the AFC championship.

THAT PLAY IS WHY I'VE BEEN IN FAVOR OF REPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! The motherfuckers OWE me, as a Houston Oiler fan, a mutherfukin Superbowl. . . I can still feel the smooth anger from the moment, when replay clearly showed a spectacular touchdown catch. . .

texansfan

EOG Master

THAT PLAY IS WHY I'VE BEEN IN FAVOR OF REPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!! The motherfuckers OWE me, as a Houston Oiler fan, a mutherfukin Superbowl. . . I can still feel the smooth anger from the moment, when replay clearly showed a spectacular touchdown catch. . .

:LMAO

I know exactly how you feel. I can still remember the play like the game was played yesterday.

Pittsburgh is known to play conservative ball when they have the lead, so how they would have played the second half had the interception not occured is likely different than how it was played with it. The fact is, Ben's tip in the air INT isn't the same as Kurt's clear mistake - and the officials didn't cause that. What I find funny is that when Arizona was on third down, missed the first by at least a foot, yet the refs gave it to them with an extremely generous spot for a first down and a continuation of a drive that the Pitt D had legitimately stopped. No one's barking about that one, are they?

Pittsburgh played arguably the toughest schedule in the league to get to the Super Bowl, while Zona played the NFC South - twice.

I meant NFC West.

waco

EOG Dedicated

They drove 90 yards in 2 minutes and Arizona couldn't stop them. They had a Steeler linebacker who weighed 240 lbs go 100 yards with a interception and nobody from Arizona could catch him. They didn't deserve to win and they didn't win. Simple as that. If you want to win that game, they had to stop them and never came close.

texansfan

EOG Master

They drove 90 yards in 2 minutes and Arizona couldn't stop them. They had a Steeler linebacker who weighed 240 lbs go 100 yards with a interception and nobody from Arizona could catch him. They didn't deserve to win and they didn't win. Simple as that. If you want to win that game, they had to stop them and never came close.

Let's not go overboard here. Ari stopped the running game and played great defense for the most part. It was an evenly matched game that either team could have won.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

You mean the 100 yard return with the obvious block in the back that didn't get called?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Great post. I'm sure that lots of skeptical fans are reading that and feeling better about themselves. Feeling that the better and more deserving team DID in fact win.

Its a tough spot to be in having to defend winning. Having to defend winning a title and 2 in 4 years.

I'll be in the same boat as you having to defend the Yanks WS title this year. Many won't give me credit, they'll say i bought it and whatnut. I'll have to defend myself from all the critics.

You'll help me out, won't cha sportsgirl? :+waving-5

myDixieWrecked

EOG Enthusiast

crap happens in every game... this one is under a microscope...

in 2 years.... all that anyone will remember is that the Steelers won

I know exactly how you feel. I can still remember the play like the game was played yesterday.

The whole city was angry. the pep rally for the team in a full-to-capacity Dome after the "loss" was a spectacle unheard of before or since. EVERYBODY knew that the Oilers were robbed of a Superbowl. I'll never forget that team, the players who gave all, and what they accomplished. . .

texansfan

EOG Master

The whole city was angry. the pep rally for the team in a full-to-capacity Dome after the "loss" was a spectacle unheard of before or since. EVERYBODY knew that the Oilers were robbed of a Superbowl. I'll never forget that team, the players who gave all, and what they accomplished. . .

Yep, little consolation for the league to admit it made a mistake.

Late in the third quarter, he beat Steelers cornerback Ron Johnson to the right corner of the end zone and made an apparent game-tying TD catch.
But side judge Donald Orr ruled "no catch," indicating that Renfro didn't get both feet inbounds. The Oilers never recovered and lost the game 27-13.
Not even belated regrets sent by Pete Rozelle (who confirmed the call was missed) could soften the blow or take the dent out of Bum's cowboy hat which he spiked to the ground.

Just one more reason to believe that Earl is the best "they ever wuz". . . Bum was once asked if it bothered him that Earl was always slow to get up after a play. He responded: "no, because he goes down slow, too."

texansfan

EOG Master

Just one more reason to believe that Earl is the best "they ever wuz". . . Bum was once asked if it bothered him that Earl was always slow to get up after a play. He responded: "no, because he goes down slow, too."

I feel priveledged to have grown up getting to watch the Houston "Earlers" play football. My best memory was attending the MNF game when the Oilers played the Dolphins.

I'm sure you know but there have only been four people named an Official State Hero by the state of Texas.

1. Stephen F. Austin
2. Davy Crockett
3. Sam Houston
4. Earl Campbell

I feel priveledged to have grown up getting to watch the Houston "Earlers" play football. My best memory was attending the MNF game when the Oilers played the Dolphins.

I'm sure you know but there have only been four people named an Official State Hero by the state of Texas.

1. Stephen F. Austin
2. Davy Crockett
3. Sam Houston
4. Earl Campbell

I think I knew this at one time; :cocktail:cocktail. Earl was a state hero from UT days; I SAW him carry 9 TCU defensive guys on his back for eight yards. . .He's the only back that I ever saw where I knew I was seeing divine intervention at work. He is the man. . .The world is a better place because the Tyler Rose passed through. . .

texansfan

EOG Master

I think I knew this at one time; :cocktail:cocktail. Earl was a state hero from UT days; I SAW him carry 9 TCU defensive guys on his back for eight yards. . .He's the only back that I ever saw where I knew I was seeing divine intervention at work. He is the man. . .The world is a better place because the Tyler Rose passed through. . .

I agree. Jman has some great videos of Earl running over people. The guy had 34 inch thighs and would just look for people to run over. It's too bad he's in the shape he's in right now, the man can barely walk.

I agree. Jman has some great videos of Earl running over people. The guy had 34 inch thighs and would just look for people to run over. It's too bad he's in the shape he's in right now, the man can barely walk.

Sad, but true. . .At least UT is taking good care of him (although I can't imagine he needs it). OT: How are you able to watch so much sports? Tarrant County Detectives claim to work 50+ hours per week?

OT #2: I've often wondered why Jim Bowie is not in the pantheon of Texas heroes. Though modern scholars have implied that he surrendered (though contested), the evidence still shows that he had a chance to leave before Santa Anna's arrival b/c of illness, and chose to stay facing certain death. . .

texansfan

EOG Master

Sad, but true. . .At least UT is taking good care of him (although I can't imagine he needs it). OT: How are you able to watch so much sports? Tarrant County Detectives claim to work 50+ hours per week?

OT #2: I've often wondered why Jim Bowie is not in the pantheon of Texas heroes. Though modern scholars have implied that he surrendered (though contested), the evidence still shows that he had a chance to leave before Santa Anna's arrival b/c of illness, and chose to stay facing certain death. . .

Well, I work around 60-65 hours a week. I'm off on Thur/Fri/Sat from the city. I work an "extra job" on Thurs and Fri but I'm given a laptop to use and I just sit there. I've worked for that company since 1995 and they treat me well.

I really only watch football, college and pro, and kind of just catch what I can with the rest. I hate when football season ends...

TensaZangetsu

EOG Member

Well, Steel City deserves the title with that 2 minutes drive. But let us also give credit for the Cardinals who prove that they belong to that title game...12io4j2w90

My pet peeve about law enforcement is the practice of having one guy patrol in a car. I think EVERYBODY is safer with two-man patrols; I know that beat cops patrol in "pairs" but when the real bad guys are pulled over, it doesn't matter that your patrol "partner" is only 30 seconds away. The idiots are less likely to try something stupid if two cops are there from the beginning. . .I appologize for taking this thread way off track. . .

P.S. this is addressed to Texansfan. . .

texansfan

EOG Master

My pet peeve about law enforcement is the practice of having one guy patrol in a car. I think EVERYBODY is safer with two-man patrols; I know that beat cops patrol in "pairs" but when the real bad guys are pulled over, it doesn't matter that your patrol "partner" is only 30 seconds away. The idiots are less likely to try something stupid if two cops are there from the beginning. . .I appologize for taking this thread way off track. . .

P.S. this is addressed to Texansfan. . .

Staffing problems are the cause of this. It would be nice if patrol officers were able to ride a two man unit but unfortunately this isn't reality. If the department began reducing the number of patrol cars in the call for service loop the public would complain. It's all about politics and not safety unfortunately.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

1. Stephen F. Austin
2. Davy Crockett
3. Sam Houston
4. Earl Campbell

I remember the good old days of the NFL. I wasn't an oilers fan, but i didn't dislike them either. Earl Campbell was a modern player put back in a time machine. He was too big and strong for the players of the 1980s some of the shit he did wasn't fair.

Great post. I'm sure that lots of skeptical fans are reading that and feeling better about themselves. Feeling that the better and more deserving team DID in fact win.

Its a tough spot to be in having to defend winning. Having to defend winning a title and 2 in 4 years.

I'll be in the same boat as you having to defend the Yanks WS title this year. Many won't give me credit, they'll say i bought it and whatnut. I'll have to defend myself from all the critics.

You'll help me out, won't cha sportsgirl? :+waving-5

You betcha! 91023i2ndw;l

munson15

I want winners...

Wasn't that catch a little similar to Holmes' catch? Same general area of the end zone, same type of high throw which he grabs and tiptoes in-bounds? I'd love to see that one, and the missed clip that FK mentioned. I remember thinking that he should have been the Cardinal that had the best angle on Harrison when the play started.