what is a square play

fivedoorsdown

EOG Dedicated
when i hear this most of the time it doesnt fit. so i ask you what is your take on a square play

ranked home team
favorite
public favorite
can it be a dog

can square plays make you money
is always leaning toward chalk plays

Re: what is a square play

I love this question:

Square play doesnt need to be a heavy public favorite, and it can most defintely be a dog. It doesnt even need to be a high profile game or conference. You can make a square play in the southern league or the big east, doesnt matter...

My personnal opinion on what is square may be different from some...IMO examples of some sqaure plays this week were Tenn -4 last night, to a lesser degree N. Iowa +3 the other day, Duke -4 last night...It's typically when you pick the more easliy recogizable team or "better" team over a lesser team and the play is way too obvious. But i honestly think that these square plays are cashing in this year more frequently than in years past...

Seriously having CLemson +4 last night and watching the results, reminded me that thier is some justice in the cbb world still...

when i hear this most of the time it doesnt fit. so i ask you what is your take on a square play

ranked home team
favorite
public favorite
can it be a dog

can square plays make you money
is always leaning toward chalk plays

I'd say this is the criteria that points to most square plays. And yes, it can be an underdog. And sometimes sharps and squares can end up on the same side which is dangerous.

fivedoorsdown

EOG Dedicated

I love this question:

Square play doesnt need to be a heavy public favorite, and it can most defintely be a dog. It doesnt even need to be a high profile game or conference. You can make a square play in the southern league or the big east, doesnt matter...

My personnal opinion on what is square may be different from some...IMO examples of some sqaure plays this week were Tenn -4 last night, to a lesser degree N. Iowa +3 the other day, Duke -4 last night...It's typically when you pick the more easliy recogizable team or "better" team over a lesser team and the play is way too obvious. But i honestly think that these square plays are cashing in this year more frequently than in years past...

Seriously having CLemson +4 last night and watching the results, reminded me that thier is some justice in the cbb world still...
nfl is tough that way. squares do well there imo

the games last night 2 obvious ones nd and wake
2 less obvious ones usc and minny

fivedoorsdown

EOG Dedicated

I'd say this is the criteria that points to most square plays. And yes, it can be an underdog. And sometimes sharps and squares can end up on the same side which is dangerous.
notre dame and wake i believe fell into both catagories last night. i backed off those games

Jesse Black

EOG Member

Players who bets mostly overpriced glamour teams, that have a built in "sucker tax", are considered squares. They do however, cover very often. Duke, last night is an excellent example of a square play.

Heres some I might consider square.( I have reservations doing this because: a) I know I make a "square" play now and then b) I dont mean to offend anyone who might be playing these games and c) they still have a good chance at cashing.)

Illinois, Butler, Arizona, Gonzaga, and Saint Marys.

I also considered a ML play on the Cards a very square play because the value was horrible. But I am grateful to them for giving such great ML value on Pitt.

I might add that making a square play does not make you a square in my opinion. In fact if one can reconcile the fact that you are on a "square" type play that is a winner and play it anyway then that should make you a "hexagon", which (by the way) can be said to resemble a diamond, which is a very nice thing to be.

Hahah natty you crack me up

I can only define a square play as Boston -3 against the Sixers two nights ago.
You just look at it and something tells you to stay away its not right, and you still make the play, you square!

But we did ourselves one better and decided to play the moneyline instead of laying 3, which makes us super sharpies.
Thanks Ray Ray Allen

Didnt realize this was the College Hoops thread.

Ill share my square play

North Carolina -35(may have been a little less dont recall exactly) against Oral Roberts on ESPN(why would you broadcast this game to begin with unless you know people will bet NC and they wont cover).

North Carolina should win by at least 50? Right?
WRONG!

From Philadelphia, we have a Mayfair here too.

haha but i could see the SoCal resemblance in my picture