Thieving ex-officer gets house arrest; He stole from man, 87, to support drug habit

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated
Thieving ex-officer gets house arrest

He stole from man, 87, to support drug habit

At first blush, Eric Washington's criminal case looks like a run-of-the-mill example of burglary.

He was convicted of stealing about $1,400 from an elderly man he met in 2007.

Former police Detective Eric Washington listens as he is sentenced Wednesday in District Court.

But Washington isn't a typical defendant. A nine-year veteran of the Metropolitan Police Department, he was assigned to help the victim in a home loan scam.

Instead of helping the 87-year-old man, Washington drained money from the victim's bank account to support a prescription drug addiction.

On Wednesday, a judge sentenced the 32-year-old former detective to four to 13 years in prison but suspended the sentence, meaning he won't spend time behind bars if he stays out of trouble for five years.

District Judge Jennifer Togliatti also ordered Washington to be placed on house arrest for six months and urged him to write an open letter of apology to his former police colleagues.

The judge also rebuked Washington for betraying the public's trust and dishonoring police officers by committing the crimes.

"You blew everything for $1,411. Everything," Togliatti said.

Washington, who appeared in court, apologized to the victim. He explained that he was injured while on the job and became addicted to Lortab, a prescription painkiller. Rather than seek help, he allowed his addiction to get out of hand, he said.

"I'm sorry. I ask for forgiveness," said Washington, who resigned from the department in May.

Las Vegas police arrested Washington in December 2007. He pleaded guilty in 2008 to felony charges of burglary, grand larceny and fraudulent use of a credit card.

Defense attorney Kevin Kelly said that before taking Lortab, Washington had never ingested a mind-altering substance. He described Washington as a clean-cut man who had never been in trouble before the criminal case.

The victim was a man who suffered from dementia and called police seeking help with a home mortgage scam, said Lee Drizin, an attorney representing the Clark County Public Guardian's office. The office helps individuals who need a guardian.

Washington convinced the man to move money into a bank account that Washington was able to access.

Over a three-day period, Washington tried to withdraw money 17 times from the man's account. He got funds out of the account six times, Drizin said.

The bank alerted the victim. In turn, the man informed Washington because he believed the detective was helping him.

Washington convinced the victim to pull out money from the account and keep it in his house. Washington then tried several times to steal the money, authorities said.

"This isn't something that was spur of the moment and an impulse," said Chief Deputy District Attorney Christopher Laurent. "This was something that was cold, calculated. A complete betrayal of trust."

Besides the house arrest, Togliatti ordered Washington to complete 200 hours of community service and pay back the $1,411 he took from the victim.

She also ordered him to attend the drug court program, which allows qualified defendants to stay out of jail and receive counseling.

Togliatti said drug court could be hard for him because he might run into a person he once arrested. But the difficulty of the program was the point, she said.

"I expect you to recognize that you're not better than them," she said. "You're one of them."

texansfan

EOG Master
Re: Thieving ex-officer gets house arrest; He stole from man, 87, to support drug habit

They should double his sentence, put him in general population, and make him serve all of his time.

Hey Prophet, I sent you a PM about the topic you were asking me about. I was wondering if you ever received it?

Doc Mercer

EOG Master
Re: Thieving ex-officer gets house arrest; He stole from man, 87, to support drug habit

Soooo

he aint going to prison?

Great judicial system we have .... if this dude got busted with a lb of pot he is gonna "enjoy the company of men" on a nitely basis

The Prophet

EOG Dedicated

They should double his sentence, put him in general population, and make him serve all of his time.

Hey Prophet, I sent you a PM about the topic you were asking me about. I was wondering if you ever received it?

Appreciate you taking the time to retrieve the information.

Please pardon my ignorance regarding the PM function I know nothing about while suspecting anything claiming to be ?private? may have limited access but is not really private, if you know what I mean.

Again, appreciate your time and attempt, while apologizing for not receiving your message as well as any other PM?s that may have been sent my way.

pioneer

EOG Dedicated

I could not discern from the story, either from what I saw on TV or what's posted here, whether he also lost his job. I'm assuming he did, which is a pretty good punishment in itself. And Texansfan, I can appreciate that you are in favor of harsher punishment for one of your own who broke the law and makes all of your law enforcement brethren look bad, but if you look at it honestly and rationally, you will acknowledge that he can't be sent to the general population simply because he is a cop. The object of the punishment is not to get him assaulted and battered, raped, even killed...all of which might be probable in the general population. But if he doesn't mind his P's and Q's over the next 5 years, that's where he will end up....that should be sufficient incentive for him to walk the straight and narrow.

texansfan

EOG Master

I could not discern from the story, either from what I saw on TV or what's posted here, whether he also lost his job. I'm assuming he did, which is a pretty good punishment in itself. And Texansfan, I can appreciate that you are in favor of harsher punishment for one of your own who broke the law and makes all of your law enforcement brethren look bad, but if you look at it honestly and rationally, you will acknowledge that he can't be sent to the general population simply because he is a cop. The object of the punishment is not to get him assaulted and battered, raped, even killed...all of which might be probable in the general population. But if he doesn't mind his P's and Q's over the next 5 years, that's where he will end up....that should be sufficient incentive for him to walk the straight and narrow.

I know they would never send him to general population. I just don't like child abusers, people who abuse the elderly, and cops who break the law.

I'm not saying a cop who breaks the law is equal to the others I mentioned but it's disgusting when cops do this. I don't like it when people abuse their authority, nor do I like those who abuse the helpless people in out society.

I know of a prosecutor who was sent to the pen and refused administrative segregation. He did all of his time in general population and was never attacked, though his identity and former occupation was known.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

How did he never get attacked?

I've heard ya either kill someone or act like Texasfan (mentally unbalanced) and they wont fuck with ya

Did he ever give ya details?