Where does Kobe rank all time in the NBA

royboy

EOG Dedicated
Re: Where does Kobe rank all time in the NBA

i'd say top 8-10, definitely think he'll be in the top 5 on most people's list when he's done. we're watching two of the best ever right now with kobe and lbj.

3. Dream is #1, MJ # 2. Lebron may pass Kobe before it's all over, though. I'm out. . .

TensaZangetsu

EOG Member

Kobe's probably in the same sentence with MJ, Magic and Bird when he retires...
Although I would think right now King James and Kobe are the best....

royboy

EOG Dedicated

hard to put him above some of these guys yet...

mj

wilt
magic
oscar
russell
bird
kareem

tensa - magic and bird are not in the conversation with michael fyi. it's michael, then magic and larry, then everyone else...

royboy

EOG Dedicated

oscar and wilt deserve to be mentioned with magic and bird imo.... wilt was a monster and robertson averaged a triple double over the course of a season, unbelievable.

tripp

EOG Master

1. MJ

everyone else.

i'd put kobe probably around 8th right now on my rankings, maybe a bit lower.

lebron james will be #2 behind MJ by the time he retires though. this kid is unbelievable.

tripp

EOG Master

oscar and wilt deserve to be mentioned with magic and bird imo.... wilt was a monster and robertson averaged a triple double over the course of a season, unbelievable.

oscar should be in everyone's top 5.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Kobe's in the 'same sentence' with Bird?

You're kidding, right?

royboy

EOG Dedicated

1. MJ

everyone else.

i'd put kobe probably around 8th right now on my rankings, maybe a bit lower.

lebron james will be #2 behind MJ by the time he retires though. this kid is unbelievable.

:cheers

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

huh? Why would it be a joke? Kobe is definitely in the same class as these guys.... MJ easily on top, Magic and Bird 2 and 3. After that its debatable

It would be a joke because Kobe has over 1,000 more points LIFETIME than Bird and he's still playing.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

How Chamberlain is not in the Top 3 is a joke

Sorry ....

The guy has half the games above 50 pts in the history of the NBA and
is the only center to lead the league in Assists

Big question: suppose Pippen does not come along ... does Jordan win one
Championship?

tripp

EOG Master

How Chamberlain is not in the Top 3 is a joke

Sorry ....

The guy has half the games above 50 pts in the history of the NBA and
is the only center to lead the league in Assists

Big question: suppose Pippen does not come along ... does Jordan win one
Championship?

better question: suppose pippen does not play with jordan..does anyone even know who pippen is?

jordan made those around him substantially better, and is the most incredible athlete i've every seen. i not only put jordan FAR AHEAD of everyone for best NBA player of all time, I would say he is the best ATHLETE of all time as well.

James is the only person in the NBA right now that is comparable in the sense that he makes those around him much better. I don't believe Kobe does that.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

If the media talked about Wade, like they do Lebron, and Lebron, like they do Wade, would we think differently of each player? I believe many would. As of right now, Wade has to be ahead of Lebron. That will change, but right now that's got to be true.

tripp

EOG Master

As of right now, Wade has to be ahead of Lebron. That will change, but right now that's got to be true.

He is not even close. I see you're a huge Wade fan, but this is not even comparable imo. James is so much better than every other player in the league, it's not even fair really. Wade wouldn't even make my top 3, although he is an outstanding player and definitely top 5.

1. James

2. Kobe

3. Paul
4. Howard
5. Wade

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

He is not even close. I see you're a huge Wade fan, but this is not even comparable imo. James is so much better than every other player in the league, it's not even fair really. Wade wouldn't even make my top 3, although he is an outstanding player and definitely top 5.

1. James

2. Kobe

3. Paul
4. Howard
5. Wade

That's silly. Wade was the BEST player at the Olympics, and you could argue he's been the best player in the NBA this year. He doesn't get all the publicity and that hurts him a little, but he has a bad Miami team and he's holding them afloat. He has a ring, last time I checked, and he was the reason they WON that ring. He single handily won a NBA Finals, and some would argue that it was the greatest Finals performance ever. Lebron has struggled, statistically, in the post season. Wade has been a better player so far. Get over the simple amazement of Lebron's physique and abilities and look at what each player does (ON THE COURT).

5 star bomb

EOG Master

If I had to win 1 game and I could choose ANY HEALTHY player in NBA right now I would take D Wade.... I have to agree with TH on this 1. Wade has the killer instinct, hes clutch at end of games, he wants the rock and he will get to the line if he has to and will HIT his ft's.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Ranking the greatest Finals performances: No. 1

Comment Email Print
<cite class="source"> By John Hollinger
ESPN.com
Archive </cite>
<!-- end mod-article-title --> <!-- begin story body --> <!-- isa photo --><!-- template inline --><nospace> <!-- photo wide photo --></nospace>
<cite>Noah Graham/NBAE/Getty Images</cite>D-Wade was a force in the '06 Finals, rallying the Heat from down 0-2 to bring Miami its first NBA title.
<!-- end wide photo -->Finals performances: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20 | 21-30 | 31-40 | 41-50
The NBA Finals have produced a ton of incredible performances in the three decades since the NBA-ABA merger, starting with Bill Walton's supreme effort against the Sixers in 1977 and going all the way through to the troika from San Antonio in last year's sweep of Cleveland.
But inevitably, some of them made more of an impact than others, both on the stat sheet and in other, more subjective terms. And for that reason, some resonate much more than others when we talk about the great moments in Finals history.
That's where this project comes in. Using both numbers and a healthy dose of opinion, my task today is to rank the top 50 individual NBA Finals performances since the merger. I've included the player efficiency rating (PER) of every player in the top 50 as a guide, but this wasn't my only measuring stick. Basically, everything counts: competition, defense, clutch play, winning, durability ... it all matters.
From that, we can whittle down a list of top performances (including the 31 MVPs since the merger). Subjectively, you may agree or disagree with where a given effort ranks -- this isn't the type of exercise where there are right and wrong answers. But in at least one man's view, here's how the 50 best performances since the merger go, from 1 to 50:
<!-- begin table -->
<table class="tablehead widetable" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr class="stathead"> <td colspan="8"> Top 10 Finals PERs since merger </td> </tr> <tr class="colhead" valign="top"> <td> Name </td> <td> Team </td> <td> Year </td> <td> PPG </td> <td> RPG </td> <td>APG </td> <td> FG% </td> <td> PER </td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" valign="top"> <td>Dwyane Wade </td> <td> Mia </td> <td> 2006</td> <td>34.7 </td> <td> 7.8 </td> <td> 3.8 </td> <td> 46.8 </td> <td> 33.8 </td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" valign="top"> <td> Tim Duncan </td> <td> SA </td> <td>2003 </td> <td> 24.2 </td> <td> 17.0 </td> <td> 5.3 </td> <td>49.5</td> <td>32.0 </td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" valign="top"> <td> Michael Jordan </td> <td>Chi </td> <td> 1991 </td> <td> 31.2 </td> <td>6.6 </td> <td>11.4 </td> <td> 55.8 </td> <td>31.5 </td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" valign="top"> <td>Shaquille O'Neal </td> <td> LAL </td> <td> 2002</td> <td>36.3 </td> <td> 12.3</td> <td> 3.8 </td> <td> 59.5 </td> <td>31.4 </td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" valign="top"> <td>Shaquille O'Neal </td> <td> LAL</td> <td> 2000 </td> <td> 38.0 </td> <td> 16.7 </td> <td> 2.3 </td> <td> 61.1 </td> <td> 31.1</td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" valign="top"> <td>Michael Jordan </td> <td> Chi</td> <td> 1998 </td> <td> 33.5 </td> <td> 4.0 </td> <td> 2.3 </td> <td> 42.7 </td> <td> 30.8</td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" valign="top"> <td> Tim Duncan </td> <td> SA </td> <td> 1999 </td> <td> 27.4 </td> <td>14.0 </td> <td> 2.4 </td> <td> 53.7 </td> <td> 30.7</td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" valign="top"> <td>Michael Jordan </td> <td> Chi </td> <td> 1997 </td> <td> 32.3 </td> <td> 7.0 </td> <td> 6.0 </td> <td>45.6</td> <td> 29.5 </td> </tr> <tr class="oddrow" valign="top"> <td>Shaquille O'Neal </td> <td> LAL </td> <td> 2001 </td> <td> 33.0 </td> <td> 15.8 </td> <td> 4.8 </td> <td> 57.3</td> <td> 29.4 </td> </tr> <tr class="evenrow" valign="top"> <td>Michael Jordan </td> <td> Chi </td> <td>1992 </td> <td> 35.8 </td> <td> 4.8</td> <td> 6.5 </td> <td> 52.6 </td> <td>29.2</td></tr></tbody></table>

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

1. Dwyane Wade, Miami, 2006

It's hard to overstate how awesome Wade was in leading the Heat to their lone championship, particularly in the final four games when Miami rallied from a 2-0 deficit to stun the Mavs.
Wade started the comeback by leading the Heat back from a 13-point fourth quarter deficit in Game 3, scoring 12 points in the final 6? minutes to send the game to OT. He also made the biggest play of the series with his crazy dribbling foray to the rim at the end of overtime in Game 5 that -- controversially -- earned a whistle from referee Bennett Salvatore and a trip to the line for the winning free throws.
For the series, Wade averaged 34.7 points, 7.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 2.7 steals -- and this in a slow-paced series (neither team cleared the century mark in regulation in any of the six games). His basket attacks were so deadly because the Mavs couldn't stop fouling him. Wade shot a whopping 97 free throws in the six games -- the most of any player since the merger -- including 25 in Game 5.
Overall, Wade's 33.8 PER is easily the best of any Finals performer since the merger. While it seems strange to have somebody besides Michael Jordan in the top spot, the truth is Jordan never dominated a Finals to this extent. At the time, many called Wade's performance Jordanesque. It turns out they might have been selling him short.

royboy

EOG Dedicated

1. James

2. Kobe

3. Paul
4. Howard
5. Wade

i'd have the same five, but my list would be a little different...

1/1a - kobe/lebron
3 paul
4 wade
5 howard

cp3 may go down as one of the top 3 pg's of all time, i underestimated him coming out of wake, he's isaiah thomas with better vision.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Their numbers this year are nearly IDENTICAL, and Wade is much shorter; yes, that means something. If the NBA wanted Wade to be it's poster boy ESPN would be playing all his great plays every night, and he'd be in every commercial, but he wasn't chosen as that. On the court, Wade has accomplished more than Lebron. (And don't give me the Shaq BS. Shaq was barely existent in the Finals.

tripp

EOG Master

i'd have the same five, but my list would be a little different...

1/1a - kobe/lebron
3 paul
4 wade
5 howard

cp3 may go down as one of the top 3 pg's of all time, i underestimated him coming out of wake, he's isaiah thomas with better vision.

paul is outstanding. i'd put him right at the top of the league with james when it comes to vision/passing ability. people are already forgetting about his season last year it seems.

5 star bomb

EOG Master

TH you are acting like Wade doesnt get any pub? I wouldnt say he gets as much as Lebron but hes definitely up there. I just think its the market. Miami is a shit ass sports city. If Wade was doing this for the Bulls, Knicks, etc he would be even more hyped up. I expect Wade to be in Bulls uniform after next season

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Tripp:

the best ATHLETE of all time?

No way ... great BASKETBALL player but not the GREATEST ATHLETE of all time

Jordan is not in Jim Thorpes league:

Gold Medal winner in the Decathalon & Pentathalon in 1912 Olympics

.252 as OF for 6 seasons w/Giants, Red & Braves

Pro Football Hall of Fame

Track / Field Hall of Fame

College Football Hall of Fame

soli

EOG Dedicated

Lebron is a great player and got all the tools but Kobe is better at this point.

1. Dwyane Wade, Miami, 2006

It's hard to overstate how awesome Wade was in leading the Heat to their lone championship, particularly in the final four games when Miami rallied from a 2-0 deficit to stun the Mavs.
Wade started the comeback by leading the Heat back from a 13-point fourth quarter deficit in Game 3, scoring 12 points in the final 6? minutes to send the game to OT. He also made the biggest play of the series with his crazy dribbling foray to the rim at the end of overtime in Game 5 that -- controversially -- earned a whistle from referee Bennett Salvatore and a trip to the line for the winning free throws.
For the series, Wade averaged 34.7 points, 7.8 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 2.7 steals -- and this in a slow-paced series (neither team cleared the century mark in regulation in any of the six games). His basket attacks were so deadly because the Mavs couldn't stop fouling him. Wade shot a whopping 97 free throws in the six games -- the most of any player since the merger -- including 25 in Game 5.
Overall, Wade's 33.8 PER is easily the best of any Finals performer since the merger. While it seems strange to have somebody besides Michael Jordan in the top spot, the truth is Jordan never dominated a Finals to this extent. At the time, many called Wade's performance Jordanesque. It turns out they might have been selling him short.

You left out dickriding by the refs. Any Maverick who dared to breath on him was called for a foul. . .

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Hollinger talked about that. It doesn't matter he said, this was in a later reply article, because he took that into account but the numbers were still overwhelming.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

Larry Bird is not an attractive man. In fact, many suggest his mother actually mated with a retarded pelican.

soli

EOG Dedicated

As much as yall hate Kobe, he is the best player in the NBA. Just ask the NBA players and they will say Kobe. Lebron James got all the skills but he is not a clutch player like Kobe.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

If the media talked about Wade, like they do Lebron, and Lebron, like they do Wade, would we think differently of each player? I believe many would. As of right now, Wade has to be ahead of Lebron. That will change, but right now that's got to be true.

Of course most of these guys would be on Wades nut sack instead of Lebrons if ESPN keyed on Wade like they do Lebron. I can name ten guys that i would want to have the ball at the end of the game before i would want it in Lebrons hands.

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

1. James

2. Kobe

3. Paul
4. Howard
5. Wade
To not even have Duncan on this list makes me wonder if u even watch basketball or just the nut hugging Lebron highlights every night.

1. James

2. Kobe

3. Paul
4. Howard
5. Wade

:hangt
kobe is better than lebron. everyone knows this sir. are you from the midwest?