Value 101

Boston

EOG Dedicated
I think this forum needs a sticky up top of the main page dedicated to gambling theory and math related value opinions. There is so much that I have to learn related to the math side of this game and I'm sure I'm not alone. I like many others am here to gather gambling related knowledge and enjoy the few threads that have discussions on getting the best value and all that goes along with determining this. I know that there are quite a few people here such as osu,shrink,atx,ray that could shed some light on these things for the people trying to learn. Please feel free to join in because that is why we are all here to gather and share information.

:cheers

munson15

I want winners...
Re: Value 101

I have advocated a "Handicapping Only" page previously, and I believe that would address your concerns. Good idea, IMO.:cheers

When I run games lately I set the lines where I think they should be and look for mainly dogs that should be favs or if I think a fav is not laying enough points. The dogs seem to come in more for me. There are some good programs out there that will run an estimated ATS line for you, but only use this as a tool. I also look at the last 5 games played by both teams and basically run the numbers out. I especially like it when the public is on the other side as well, but not always the case. I don't kmow if this helps, just some input on how I determine my plays.

Boston

EOG Dedicated

<table id="post1968167" class="tborder" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td class="alt1" id="td_post_1968167" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(43, 41, 94);"> I'll do my best here to shed some light on this situation. Keep in mind that this discussion is on CBB even though the same concepts apply for the NBA though the push rates on some #s are different.

Any wager made at -110 has to hit at a 52.38% rate (110/210) to break even. Any wager made at -170 has to hit at a 62.96% rate (170/270) to break even. So the 3 points you are buying have to be worth 10.58% (the difference between 52.38% and 62.96%) or more to make buying the 3 points a better proposition than just playing the market # at -110. FWIW, each half point you buy after the 1st theoretically cost less than the last though it seems you are paying the same 10 cents for each half a point. Let me show you how this works. A bet made at -100 has to hit 50% (100/200) of the time to breakeven. At -110 the bet has to hit at 52.38% (110/210)to break even. So those 10 cents are worth 2.38% (the difference between 50% and 52.38%). Here are the following 10 cent buy break even rates:
-100 50% (100/200)
-110 52.38% (110/210) 2.38% more
-120 54.55% (120/220) 2.17% more
-130 56.52% (130/230) 1.97% more
-140 58.33% (140/240) 1.81% more
-150 60% (150/250) 1.67% more
-160 61.54% (160/260) 1.54% more
-170 62.96% (170/270) 1.42% more

So as you can see here the farther you get away from -100 the less the cents are worth. Another words all cents are not equal and generally speaking the more points you can buy in sequence the better being that you are theoretically paying less for each additional half a point.

I've ran numerous ranges on my cbb database last night to be sure not to misinform here in this post. The conclusion I have come to is that it is better to buy the 3 points from -110 to -170 with all favs between 4.5 and 20 and all dogs between 1.5 and 17 in CBB. Once the fav gets over 20 the samples get small and I don't trust the data as much though it does start to indicate that the points start becoming worth a little less once the spread gets that high. The thing you want to avoid when buying 3 points is buying the 1 or zero because the 1 is worth less than the 2-20(meaning less games land on 1 than 2,3,4,5,etc) individual and the zero is obviously worth 0 (being that a game can't land on 0 via OT). Generally speaking all the points from 2-20 are roughly worth 4% with the exception of the 3 being worth close to 5%. I've come to this conclusion by running ranges of games that correspond to the given pointspread. EX For a 5 point fav I ran all games with favs between -2 and -8. In this 2833 game sample the fav covers -5 49.7% of the time. Now when I make this a -2 point favorite using this same set of 2833 game the fav covers the -2 63.5% of the time. So this bet at -2 is 13.8% (difference between 63.5% and 49.7%)better than the bet at -5 and you are only paying 10.58% going from -110 to -170 (shown in the paragraph above). This example from -5 to -2 same as the dog going from +2 to +5 is one of very few where you can show a profit long term from just single handedly buying the 3 points. Another words if -5 is a 50% proposition then buying 3 points down to -2 would be a 63.8% proposition being that those 3 points are worth 13.8% (shown above). We saw above that at -170 you have to hit 62.96% to break even and now this bet at -2 hits at 63.8% making this a +EV bet solely by buying 3 valuable points. Tack on a 1-2% opinion (meaning you handicapping gives the 5 point fav a small edge) and you now have a pretty damn good bet at -2 -170.

All other consecutive 3 point sequences that are between 2-20 that don't include the slightly heavier 3 are worth approx 12% (4-7,6-9,10-13,11-14, etc). So it is better in all of those spots to buy the 3 points being that we are only paying 10.58% (see above)for the extra 12% in winners we pick up.

Now the extreme worst situation to buy these points would be crossing the zero. Going from -1.5 -110 to +1.5 -170 would be about the worst thing ou could ever do being that you are essential buying a completely worthless point ion the 0, and the 2 most worthless points after that being the -1 and +1. In this example you would be gaining about 6% with the buy being that those 1's are worth about 3% each and paying 10.58% for them thus making your bet 4.58% (difference between 10.58% and 6%) worse buying than it originally was.

Sidenote: Playing with different total ranges I unexpectedly found that it barely changed the value of the points you are buying if any at all.

Long story short (too late for that) is that most of the time it is correct to buy 3 pts for 10 cents a half point in cbb but not all of the time. I hope this sheds a little light on this subject.
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="alt2" style="border-style: none solid solid; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(43, 41, 94) rgb(43, 41, 94); border-width: 0px 1px 1px;">
</td> <td class="alt1" style="border-style: none solid solid none; border-color: -moz-use-text-color rgb(43, 41, 94) rgb(43, 41, 94) -moz-use-text-color; border-width: 0px 1px 1px 0px;" align="right"> </td></tr></tbody></table>

Boston

EOG Dedicated

great stuff boston!

can't take credit for that info bud but I feel this is really a topic that could help out the forum a lot. I like celebrity cleavage as much as the next guy but what the fuck does that have to do with gambling. I think we are all here for a common goal and that is to make money and any information shared helping to achieve that goal is needed. So if anyone sees something in another thread or can add to this one that would be great. Thank you

Boston: I believe this is a game in which you must combine the
player personnel knowledge of a good GM or head coach, with the math
knowledge of a good college math teacher...Then put together
a strong computer program to keep everything organized and
functional...Three necessary steps to find the right value, and that is
all much easier said than done.

J

joeybagadonuts

I've talked with Mo about doing this as well. I think if someone had the time and knowledge to lead a math/think tank type place it would help a lot of gamblers.

Need a guy like Boston, ATX, Ganch, RayC, Raiders, etc to lead some discussions and maybe teach some basics of "gambling math"

I advocate a handicapping discussion only thread as well. Any bashing, name calling, or bullshit would be dumped.

A very strictly monitored thread. That is the only way guys with real advice/info are going to participate, IMO.

J

joeybagadonuts

I advocate a handicapping discussion only thread as well. Any bashing, name calling, or bullshit would be dumped.

A very strictly monitored thread. That is the only way guys with real advice/info are going to participate, IMO.

Excellent point and I think as long as the person who is running/moderating it is well respected, this will go without saying.
12io4j2w90

Excellent point and I think as long as the person who is running/moderating it is well respected, this will go without saying.
12io4j2w90

I dunno Joey. Look at the talent this site has run off. Culver, Shoebox, etc.

You think a guy like Ray or Ganchrow are gonna argue with some of the knuckleheads around here when they really have nothing to gain by posting to begin with? You need a ZERO tolerance platform where these guys, who are a cut above, can get their info out in a stress free environment. The last thing they need is the BS. After all, they are educating us for free. Literally.

J

joeybagadonuts

You think a guy like Ray or Ganchrow are gonna argue with some of the knuckleheads around here when they really have nothing to gain by posting to begin with? You need a ZERO tolerance platform where these guys, who are a cut above, can get their info out in a stress free environment. The last thing they need is the BS. After all, they are educating us for free. Literally.

Very good point, and like I said, whoever runs it needs to be HIGHLY respected. I've never or rarely seen anyone attack you, RayC, ATX, or Ganch, b/c people know you guys know more than they do. Reagan over at OGD did one that was an invite/subscription type thing. There was ZERO fighting during the baseball season and a ton of good info (90% posted by blogguy, Reagan and ATX). I read it daily but rarely if ever posted in it. Too many people with more knowledge than I. So it can work, I've seen it, just takes the right people and right leader.
12io4j2w90

Very good point, and like I said, whoever runs it needs to be HIGHLY respected. I've never or rarely seen anyone attack you, RayC, ATX, or Ganch, b/c people know you guys know more than they do. Reagan over at OGD did one that was an invite/subscription type thing. There was ZERO fighting during the baseball season and a ton of good info (90% posted by blogguy, Reagan and ATX). I read it daily but rarely if ever posted in it. Too many people with more knowledge than I. So it can work, I've seen it, just takes the right people and right leader.
12io4j2w90

Lets do this. oij213490

You taking the lead as our "leader"? If you have time, I as well as others I'm sure, would appreciate anything you'd be willing to teach.

I thought you had some pull around here. :+textinb3

Get Mo to get the moderation rules set and I will be a loyal reader/participant. :thumbsup

Boston

EOG Dedicated

I'm glad this is taking steps in the right direction. In a game where information is the key to success a bullshit free venue to share would help many people including myself out

I'm glad this is taking steps in the right direction. In a game where information is the key to success a bullshit free venue to share would help many people including myself out

ATX put it best in another thread when he said "it doesnt seem like too many people around here want to win money".

That should change. I would love to be a part of that change.

Boston

EOG Dedicated

ATX put it best in another thread when he said "it doesnt seem like too many people around here want to win money".

I think that there are a lot more people here that want to learn and be successful than you may think. There will always be the people that can't get it through their head that this is not a cock measuring contest but what can you really do about that

mofome

Banned

This can be done easily.

Would be nice if we had enough action for a forum of this kind.

mofome

Banned

The idiots are being weeded out. The atmosphere here today is not what it was just a bit ago.

J

joeybagadonuts

:thumbsup

Like I mentioned, ATX is one of the best at not only winning but explaining how he wins over the long haul. I learned money management 101 from him back in the old RX RR days, and over at peeps, unfortunately, not many people noticed his little gems in the rough he posted over there, due to lack of readers at OGD.

If he, you, ray, etc have a platform, with rules like you stated, I'm almost sure we'd have a lot more people winning money and understanding the underlying math of getting the best #, only betting at reduced juice shops, etc

Culv and shoe might have a lotta talent. But culver was awful on here. Which i guess was good , as capping 45% in bases is a good fade. Shoe was way over hyped also

J

joeybagadonuts

Culv and shoe might have a lotta talent. But culver was awful on here. Which i guess was good , as capping 45% in bases is a good fade. Shoe was way over hyped also

Agree about Culver not exactly tearing it up with his posted plays, shoebox on the other hand has posted winners for many many years on this forum and others. Buffetgambler, Micelii, ATX, Ray Cabino, OSU, and Shrink are others I'll blindly follow.

45% in bases with ALL dogs might not be that bad. :+clueless

I just threw his name out there. I really never knew how he did overall. I know he is a "big name" and made more money on the election this past year than most people will see in a lifetime. (seriously)

A guy I would like to pick the brain of would be NYReb. He is another I will follow without thinking twice.

Royalfan is another. If he can manage to improve his posting persona I think he would have some good stuff to add.

munson15

I want winners...

I tried and failed to get this done last year, obviously I like the idea.:cheers

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Some great exchanges could take place....I hope a separate forum like this can take off....Guys in the business on both sides of the counter....

munson15

I want winners...

45% in bases with ALL dogs might not be that bad. :+clueless

I just threw his name out there. I really never knew how he did overall. I know he is a "big name" and made more money on the election this past year than most people will see in a lifetime. (seriously)

A guy I would like to pick the brain of would be NYReb. He is another I will follow without thinking twice.
Russ did bet the vast majority of dogs and unders. Reb worries me because he plays units, but he sure can handicap games, especially in certain regions of the country.

Some great exchanges could take place....I hope a separate forum like this can take off....Guys in the business on both sides of the counter....

Can you imagine what people could do, as far as winning money, if there were no bashing or cock measuring allowed. The people with real knowledge might actually not mind sharing in an environment like that.

Drama has its place. Just in every other forum. :+textinb3