You tip the maid's in hotel rooms?

I usually give $5-$10 per day at the hotel.....may up my anty for longer stays....

"Instead of Vacuuming, I Picked Up Some Crumbs"

Budget Travel, February 2009
<!-- close logoTitle--><!-- -->

<!-- -->
Bjorn Vinter - Getty Images

More from BudgetTravel.com
More from Yahoo!
<!-- this is teh content of the article -->Allison Rupp worked at Yellowstone National Park's historic Old Faithful Inn in 2004.

The best guests sleep in
Three simple letters could inspire the "Hallelujah" chorus: DND, or do not disturb. One sign hanging on a doorknob, and the day's work was shortened by half an hour. Two signs? Pure heaven, but only if they remained there until my eight-hour shift ended?otherwise I'd have to circle back and clean the rooms. My daily list of 15 rooms (out of 325 in the hotel) consisted of DOs (due out) and Os (occupied), which in housekeeping lingo meant the guests were scheduled to check out or were staying another night. An occupied room was less labor-intensive (making the beds rather than changing the sheets saved me 20 minutes), but there was always the possibility the guest would stay in the room while you worked. One man watched me clean his entire room, from scrubbing the toilet to emptying the trash?and told me at the end that I was "building character." Condescension is not nearly as encouraging to a maid as a couple of dollars.

As long as it looked clean
I cut corners everywhere I could. Instead of vacuuming, I found that just picking up the larger crumbs from the carpet would do. Rather than scrub the tub with hot water, sometimes it was just a spray-and-wipe kind of day. After several weeks on the job, I discovered that the staff leader who inspected the rooms couldn't tell the difference between a clean sink and one that was simply dry, so I would often just run a rag over the wet spots. But I never skipped changing the sheets. I wouldn't sink that low, no matter how lazy I was feeling.

A bacterial wonderland
I was disgusted by the many guests I came in contact with through the things they left behind: the hairs on the pillow, the urine on the toilet seat, the half-eaten cookie, the stained sheets. One woman had soiled her sheets so thoroughly that we had to toss them in a biohazard bag?they could never be used again. Rooms where young kids stayed were the worst, with food ground into the carpet and piles of used diapers in the trash. That kind of demoralizing mess could take 45 minutes to clean up. Most maids wore rubber gloves when they worked, but mine were too big, so I discarded them. Unsurprisingly, I got the flu twice.

Not for love ? or money
I didn't know maids received tips, so it took me weeks to realize that the coins left in rooms were an intentional gift. My tips were paltry: I almost never received more than $1, and at times guests left religious pamphlets. One day, however, I was shocked to find a crisp $100 bill lying on a table. Although the generous tip put a little spring in my step and compelled me to do a better job that day, it didn't change my work ethic for long. I apologize to you now if you ever stayed in one of my rooms. You deserved better. But if housekeepers were paid more than minimum wage?and the tips were a bit better?I might have cleaned your toilet rather than just flushed it.

Bet On red

EOG Member
Re: You tip the maid's in hotel rooms?

Reminds of the back seat of cops cruiser, when George, Jerry and that criminal are talking about how much you tip a chamber maid.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

What is the purpose of this tip? Why are you supposed to tip them?

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

For cleaning up after your ass.

$5/day and i keep my room clean.

I guess I don't understand then what my $100 a night is being used for. I keep my room clean as well and actually don't even need a cleaner. I even make my own bed.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

What is the purpose of this tip? Why are you supposed to tip them?
Same reason I tip the pizza guy and the bitch who cuts my hair. Most of these poeple wouldnt do the jobs that they do if they did not recieve tips.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

I guess I don't understand then what my $100 a night is being used for. I keep my room clean as well and actually don't even need a cleaner. I even make my own bed.

Come on. That is what you are paying for.
My first night in a room is pull the comforter off and a towel on the bottom of the tub. The two things that are hardly cleaned. I leave a $20 the first night with a note to scrub the tub and have a fresh comforter on the bed.
This is common knowledge in the airline industry. You would not want a blue light on your comforter for sure.

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

Most people don't tip. I just do it because I appreciate what they do and that none of my stuff stolen while I was out.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Same reason I tip the pizza guy and the bitch who cuts my hair. Most of these poeple wouldnt do the jobs that they do if they did not recieve tips.

I think this is different. The pizza guy is delivering my pie and I'm tipping him because he was fast (if he was fast). I'm tipping the haircut lady so she cuts my hair the right way and basically put a down deposit down on my next visit.

I'm not paying the cleaner to do anything but their job. In fact, most hotels do spot visits/inspections to ensure they clean it to the hotel standard so you tipping them or not tipping them doesn't make a difference. It's not like you tipping them $5 will ensure less wrinkles in your bed spread.

Are we suppose to tip the garbage man as well?

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

I mean damn, I'm a big tipper when eating out or getting a haircut etc. but I'm not tipping a person that makes the bed when I keep the room spotless to begin with. The cleaner in my room is probably in and out in 5 minutes or less. Maybe I need to rethink this but I don't think so.

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

The person cleaning my hotel room could probably use the $20 spot a little more than I could.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

The maids are real people who work very hard, for the most. If you communicate with them, if they understand English, you will get way more than normal. Not much they can do for you but extra towels. They know the area and have no vested interest when asked about good places to go, eating, dancing, drinking unlike the concierge. I have had penthouse service, when in a standard room, many times by just being nice and conversing with them........ The 20 helps though. Ask for a robe most times you will get one.

They will look forward to clean your room the next day. The word gets out quick among the ladies.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

I mean damn, I'm a big tipper when eating out or getting a haircut etc. but I'm not tipping a person that makes the bed when I keep the room spotless to begin with. The cleaner in my room is probably in and out in 5 minutes or less. Maybe I need to rethink this but I don't think so.
What about the bell boy? Surely his work is much easier than the maid's.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

I agree.

Bellboy, waitress, pizza guy, they all get tips because you see them in person but then skip the invisible little bed maker……?

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

What about the bell boy? Surely his work is much easier than the maid's.

That dude works for his ass off to drag your bags upstairs. Your tipping him to do it fast and transport your baggage in a safe manner up to your room so nothing gets broken.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

The maids are real people who work very hard, for the most. If you communicate with them, if they understand English, you will get way more than normal. Not much they can do for you but extra towels. They know the area and have no vested interest when asked about good places to go, eating, dancing, drinking unlike the concierge. I have had penthouse service, when in a standard room, many times by just being nice and conversing with them........ The 20 helps though. Ask for a robe most times you will get one.

They will look forward to clean your room the next day. The word gets out quick among the ladies.

I guess my point is we're all real people that work very hard. People should be nice and converse with them just because that's what people should do anyway.

Do you tip the information booth guy at the mall because he gave you good advice? He's real and he's working hard right?

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

I guess my point is we're all real people that work very hard. People should be nice and converse with them just because that's what people should do anyway.

Do you tip the information booth guy at the mall because he gave you good advice? He's real and he's working hard right?

I try not to.

You talk to that guy?

Maids provide a service for you. I tip accordingly.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

I try not to.

You talk to that guy?

Maids provide a service for you. I tip accordingly.

Maids are doing the job they get paid to do and it doesn't matter if you tip them or not as they'll do the same job either way. If you guys want to tip then rock on but I've never and will never tip a maid and I guarantee you my room looks just like yours.

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

Maids are doing the job they get paid to do and it doesn't matter if you tip them or not as they'll do the same job either way. If you guys want to tip then rock on but I've never and will never tip a maid and I guarantee you my room looks just like yours.

That can be applied to everyone you tip, minus your stylist i suppose.

mr merlin

EOG Master

I have tipped(in vegas after a nice win), but generally no, and I see no reason to expect a tip either. Do you tip the cashier at the grocery store, or at mcdonalds?

kid44

EOG Dedicated

He does nothing but sit there as that is his job. If I felt he gave me GREAT info on something I would take care of him/her. But you do not know until you use his info, its indirect. Anyone that provides a good service to me gets something. For 5 years I was getting massages, deep tissue, from someone that sat around for most of the day because they were too expensive. I gave them a cash price and was soon to get calls if I was ready for one. This was at 1/10th the price and the $ went directly to them. Its all about how you interact with people. Remember, every one is out for themselves.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

That can be applied to everyone you tip, minus your stylist i suppose.

I disagree. If you frequent a restarurant a lot and tip well you will most likely get served faster if you tip well. If you tip at Starbucks then you might get a freebe drink or it will be made faster. I'm just thinking out loud I guess.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

He does nothing but sit there as that is his job. If I felt he gave me GREAT info on something I would take care of him/her. But you do not know until you use his info, its indirect. Anyone that provides a good service to me gets something. For 5 years I was getting massages, deep tissue, from someone that sat around for most of the day because they were too expensive. I gave them a cash price and was soon to get calls if I was ready for one. This was at 1/10th the price and the $ went directly to them. Its all about how you interact with people. Remember, every one is out for themselves.

I guess my point is that if I'm going to tip I'd expect something in return for the act of the tip. Tipping a maid does nothing for me either in that visit or the next. I expect people to earn their money like I do mine. This is not the goodwill and I'm not a bank so to get my money you need to earn it.

If you were lost on a back country road and stopped at a general store to ask directions do you seriously tip the cashier for providing you directions? If I worked at that store and you tried to pay me for directions I'd be offended.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

What did the guy who brings your luggage up do that was any more worth a tip than the maid who spends alot more time and effort cleaning your room? The Bellboy didnt even have to carry the your bags, he just rolls it to the elevator, up to your floor, and then rolls it into your room.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

What did the guy who brings your luggage up do that was any more worth a tip than the maid who spends alot more time and effort cleaning your room? The Bellboy didnt even have to carry the your bags, he just rolls it to the elevator, up to your floor, and then rolls it into your room.

He does this so you don't have to do it. Have you ever taken a vacation with a wife and three kids and when you arrive at the hotel you have to carry all that shit through the check in line and then up to the elevator and to your room. I guarantee you that you will pay a bell boy to do this for you. You can't seriously think her job is tougher than the bell boy. Luggage is bulky and hard-ass work. He also ensures nothing gets broken. He's providing you a service.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

I guess my point is that if I'm going to tip I'd expect something in return for the act of the tip. Tipping a maid does nothing for me either in that visit or the next. I expect people to earn their money like I do mine. This is not the goodwill and I'm not a bank so to get my money you need to earn it.

If you were lost on a back country road and stopped at a general store to ask directions do you seriously tip the cashier for providing you directions? If I worked at that store and you tried to pay me for directions I'd be offended.

Understood. If $ is tight then you have to cut corners. However, tipping is a common gesture showing you appreciate what they do for you. Its not mandatory by any means. My friend owns restaurants and people come in for specials and order water or complain if coffee goes up 5 cents and then leave no tip. If you want to go back there do you think the server will not remember? Its all about treating people with respect.

Most people are more than happy to give directions and expect nothing in return. I was filling my gas tank yesterday and the guy had a bad cough. I told him to get Fishermans friend a cough drop that does wonders. Was i today an thanked me over and over/

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Understood. If $ is tight then you have to cut corners. However, tipping is a common gesture showing you appreciate what they do for you. Its not mandatory by any means. My friend owns restaurants and people come in for specials and order water or complain if coffee goes up 5 cents and then leave no tip. If you want to go back there do you think the server will not remember? Its all about treating people with respect.

Most people are more than happy to give directions and expect nothing in return. I was filling my gas tank yesterday and the guy had a bad cough. I told him to get Fishermans friend a cough drop that does wonders. Was i today an thanked me over and over/

Kid, please don't misunderstand me here, it's not about the money. I earn a very comfortable living and tip when I feel it necessary and I actually think I tip too much but oh well.

I just think we've come to a time now where people expect handouts way too much and those handouts are not coming from this guy unless you earn it.

Not tipping at a restaurant is inexcusable and I can't explain that one unless the service was horrible.

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

Like I said, most people don't tip maids. I do because I appreciate what they do for me. Although I keep a clean room, I appreciate returning to a tidy room. The maid does much more for me than the guy who takes my bags at the airport and places them on a conveyor belt, the guy who may roll a bag on a cart to my room, the guy who opens a door for the taxi i'm taking. I take care of the people who take care of me, whether I will see them again or not.

To each his own, like I said, i'm in the minority.

Hennessey

EOG Dedicated

Oh yeah...what about that guy? I hate that guy. Do you guys tip him? I have. :doh1

I do. I'm not big spender or anything, i do what i feel is right. My buddy is a VIP Host at a club in San Francisco, when we go out, he slides EVERYONE at the club money. People I'd never even thought of tipping so everyone has their own views on the practice.