The Reader

Re: The Reader

I thought of seeing it today but got busy with other stuff. Will have to check it out soon based on your recommendation!

Sinickel

EOG Enthusiast

Thought it was great!! If you get a chance also see "The Boy in the Striped Pajamas" (totally different view on the holocaust.)

J

joeybagadonuts

Wow, what a great flick!

Anybody else see it?

:+excited-

My friend downloaded it for me a few weeks ago and haven't got a chance to watch it, guess I'll check it out tonight with the GF.

Thanks

Kate Winslet won best actress last night for her performance in it. It's in theaters now and is about about 15 year-old Michael Berg, who falls ill on his way home from school, and is rescued by Hanna (Kate winslet), a woman twice his age. The two begin an unexpected and passionate affair only for Hanna to suddenly and inexplicably disappear. Eight years later, Michael, now a young law student observing Nazi war trials, meets his former lover again, under very different circumstances. Hanna is on trial for a hideous crime, and as she refuses to defend herself, Michael gradually realizes his boyhood love may be guarding a secret she considers to be more shameful than murder.

Wilson

EOG Dedicated

Kate Winslet won best actress last night for her performance in it. It's in theaters now and is about about 15 year-old Michael Berg, who falls ill on his way home from school, and is rescued by Hanna (Kate winslet), a woman twice his age. The two begin an unexpected and passionate affair only for Hanna to suddenly and inexplicably disappear. Eight years later, Michael, now a young law student observing Nazi war trials, meets his former lover again, under very different circumstances. Hanna is on trial for a hideous crime, and as she refuses to defend herself, Michael gradually realizes his boyhood love may be guarding a secret she considers to be more shameful than murder.

she doesn't turn out to be a dude, does she? "the crying game" wrecked me for a couple of years....

Did you see the movie?

:pop:

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

This is a very good film. Winslet delivers a reall y good performance although truth be told I am thinking that she won the Oscar for her recent body of work. Nice thing about Winslet is that she is not shy about taking her clothes off (Little Children, Heavenly Creatures, Titanic etc). This story is set in post-WWII Germany but really is a story about why people do not do the right thing at times. The answer in this movie is because of shame. Shame on many levels for many reasons. It's a good movie and explores an interesting subject. Having lived and worked in Germany last year, I found it even more interesting. I can recommend it. Does it need to be seen on a big screen? No DVD on the TV at home would work well too. Enjoy.

This is a very good film. Winslet delivers a reall y good performance although truth be told I am thinking that she won the Oscar for her recent body of work. Nice thing about Winslet is that she is not shy about taking her clothes off (Little Children, Heavenly Creatures, Titanic etc). This story is set in post-WWII Germany but really is a story about why people do not do the right thing at times. The answer in this movie is because of shame. Shame on many levels for many reasons. It's a good movie and explores an interesting subject. Having lived and worked in Germany last year, I found it even more interesting. I can recommend it. Does it need to be seen on a big screen? No DVD on the TV at home would work well too. Enjoy.

Unbelievably good movie, there is much going on that leaves the audience with questions about why some of the characters did what they did. Thought provoking masterpiece and top notch performances from all.

:pop:

mofome

Banned

:cheers

Solid movie here. Only a few criticisms that I have to keep it from being perfect:

1) The use of Neeson as a narrator. One of my pet peeves about movies is that they take the lazy approach to storytelling by using a narrator (very similar to this movie is Milk, which did not need Sean Penn talking in to the recorder to carry the story). One of the reasons I think Slumdog is brilliant is that it uses the game show as the narrator to the story (some criticize the movie as being predictable in this aspect when the reality is the game show is merely a storytelling device and not the story at all).

2) I hated the end. I was ready to prop this movie as a great one but the ending fell flat for me.

3) Her "secret" became painfully obvious to me, however, that was again just a device to carry along the plot.

I hate Winslet with a passion (think she is a hideous drama queen) but don't deny she is a brilliant actress. Leading actress has five really strong contenders this year and do feel like her body of work along with Revolutionary Road may have played a part in putting her over the top.

As far as the movie, I had it clearly in my top 5 of the year and thought it was miles better than Benjamin Button. Probably would put it 3rd behind Slumdog and Milk personally.

Disagree, Slumdog almost put me to sleep. Penn was the only reason Milk was outstanding.

Narratives often work well in movies ... who can forget Streeps narative in "Sofies Choice"

Enjoyed "Frost and Nixon" watched it yesterday afternoon, I would rate that one as better the than slumdoggie

As far as the movie, I had it clearly in my top 5 of the year and thought it was miles better than Benjamin Button. Probably would put it 3rd behind Slumdog and Milk personally.

Benjamin Button wasn't my favorite, either, GD. I wanted him to be more than he was and I found the ending implausable.