NHL: Delayed penalty question

Team A commits a penalty, so the ref extends his arm. Team B has possession of the puck and scores during the delayed penalty. Does Team B still get their power play or is the penalty over?

inBaldweTrust

EOG Addicted
Re: NHL: Delayed penalty question

No if you are assessed a Major it stands...however these cases are rare as usually a major penalty is a result of a bad hit injuring a player, severe cut, etc. that stops play at the time of the penalty

Hal01

EOG Veteran

No if you are assessed a Major it stands...however these cases are rare as usually a major penalty is a result of a bad hit injuring a player, severe cut, etc. that stops play at the time of the penalty

But a Major is typically an added (in conjuction with)on to a Minor.

inBaldweTrust

EOG Addicted

A Major penalty is a 5 minute penalty...usually coupled with a Game misconduct. I think your talking about a double minor.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I've actually seen some instances where even though the team who was getting the delayed penalty scored, they still got the 2 minute power play. I'm not sure the circumstance, but there might be one penalty that still gets called even if the team goes ahead and scores.

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

The rule is in place so that it allows the innocent team who maintains possession of the puck to keep possession and not stop the play for a penalty. Usually that means the innocent team pulls their goalie and puts on another forward. So it's extra time (bonus time) with a man advantage.

For a more serious major call (like 5 min boarding or high sticking call) even if a goal is scored, the offending player still serves the full 5 minutes of the penalty. That is true for goals scored while he is in the penalty box as well. You can score as many goals as you can on that 5 minute power play.