I had no idea...........

munson15

I want winners...
.........what the phrase "Here's mud in your eye" meant. It normally is used as a toast wishing good luck. However, the origin of the expression suggests that it is not a toast to another, but a toast to yourself-because it means "I hope I beat you.'

The allusion is to a horse race. If the track is at all muddy, the rider of the losing horse is very likely to get mud in his eye from the horse that is winning.

Re: I had no idea...........

On a related note, "his name is mud (or mudd)" refers to Dr. Samuel Mudd the doctor who treated Abe Lincoln assassin, John Wilkes Booth, for the broken ankle he suffered after he shot Lincoln and jumped from the balcony.

munson15

I want winners...

On a related note, "his name is mud (or mudd)" refers to Dr. Samuel Mudd the doctor who treated Abe Lincoln assassin, John Wilkes Booth, for the broken ankle he suffered after he shot Lincoln and jumped from the balcony.
Interesting story.:cheers

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Look at SG sucking up to Munson to try and get some hints on Munson's next WHO AM I
so she can finish ahead of Doc !!!

The Naked Truth.

Meaning The Absolute Truth

Origin: Comes from this old fable: "Truth and Falsehood went swimming. Falsehood stole the clothes that Truth had left on the river bank, but Truth refused to wear Falsehood's clothes and went naked." (From Now I Get It!, by Douglas Ottati)

To Give Someone The Cold Shoulder

Meaning: Reject, or act unfriendly toward, someone.

Origin: Actually refers to food. In England, a welcome or important visitor would be served a delicious hot meal. A guest "who had outstayed his welcome, or an ordinary traveler" would get a cold shoulder of mutton.

(From Rejected! by Steve Gorlick)