**MC's Fantasy Baseball Corner!**

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation
Re: **MC's Fantasy Baseball Corner!**

its almost back to me at 48 and 49 and the OF's are dropping like flies, so that position isn't looking the best right now, i'd tell you who i'm thinking but the guy who picks before me is checking this thread also, LOL

and I already think he's taking 1 of my guys next.

3 picks before me and I have 4 guys in mind.

I probably would have passed on Aramis and taken an OF. As you see with so many OF's and UTIL spots available the position will become very scarce. Thats why I said the top 2 tiers of OF's have a lot of value in this type of league.

Let me know who you go with.

If you need some help with a selection...PM me.

tripp

EOG Master

wow...have my second draft going on right now and lincecum just went SECOND OVERALL. wow this kid is getting a lot of love. He's a GREAT pitcher, but taking him ahead of not only all other pitchers, but ahead of someone like A-Rod also?! Nuts.

Was able to get Braun and Rollins in my first two rounds here (11th pick, 12 man league). Very happy with that. My first draft I didn't pick any IF at all until late so it's very weak. Wanted to get a strong IF with this team and wait a little for the OF.

Edit: Just realized Braun is not eligible at 3B. Didn't realize that.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Braun an Rollins is a great start.

Braun is only OF now. But OF is a shallow position in leagues where you must start at least 4 and a Utility.

d ray

EOG Dedicated

MC, you're right about OF, I guess I just always forget about that position and don't think its a big deal. It is. Before the OF's got any worse I had to take Nick Markakis, was going to take 2 pitchers, but didn't even take one. Before my 2 picks, Phillips went so I took Alexei Ramirez. I really wanted him as Cano and nobody is left at 2b. I Love Lackey and still can't believe I didn't take him.

So After 6 picks SS Hanley, 1b Howard, 3b aramis, 2b, alexei, oF Markakis.

mofome

Banned

MC, you're right about OF, I guess I just always forget about that position and don't think its a big deal. It is. Before the OF's got any worse I had to take Nick Markakis, was going to take 2 pitchers, but didn't even take one. Before my 2 picks, Phillips went so I took Alexei Ramirez. I really wanted him as Cano and nobody is left at 2b. I Love Lackey and still can't believe I didn't take him.

:cheers

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Like your team so far...but woulda taken an OF before Aramis. And what about your pitching? Gonna struggle big time...especally with K's, Wins.

d ray

EOG Dedicated

Yeah, I almost took Lackey last time around but wanted Alexei. Not many SP's going although Beckett and Ervin Santana just went back to back, I would have loved either one. We've come to a stop for a while, my 6th round pick is 5 picks away.

When is picking a catcher too early? Big Papi? DH only position for him.

Right now the top pitchers listed are: Volquez, Lester, Billingsly, Felix, Zambrano, Kazmir, Verlander, Liriano, Wainwright, Shields, Wang, Dempster, Lilly, Greinke......

Not horrible, I wish Beckett got back to me, i have to take some soon. I'm still disappointed in myself not grabbing Lackey, but wanted to fill other needs. We'll see how it works out.

Gonna PM you if you don't mind, just wanted see what you thought about some of those pitchers, There's 2 or 3 I really like, and would like your opinion.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Bounceback?

MLB.com reports Aaron Harang dropped 25 pounds this past offseason.
He had plenty to spare. Harang, coming off a disappointing season interspersed with forearm soreness, was "letting it go free and easy" during a scoreless inning in Tuesday's intrasquad game. The 2007 Cy Young contender makes for a fine bounce back candidate this year. Source: mlb.com Feb. 24 - 6:38 pm et

Around what round would you consider taking Alexi Ramirez?

Is Willy Tavarez worth starting becuase of SBs?

Thoughts on young guys such as Maybin, Carlos Gomez, Ubaldo Jimenez, Chris Ianetta, and Max Scherzer?

My league has 8 guys in head to head format.

Thanks in advance.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Around what round would you consider taking Alexi Ramirez?

Is Willy Tavarez worth starting becuase of SBs?

Thoughts on young guys such as Maybin, Carlos Gomez, Ubaldo Jimenez, Chris Ianetta, and Max Scherzer?

My league has 8 guys in head to head format.

Thanks in advance.

1) Depends on how many MIF you have to start. In 8 team league....I can see him going in the 7-11 rounds.

2) NO...he kills your average and doesnt hit a lick for power.

3) Maybin, Gomez both were taking for speed. I love Ianetta and Scherzer. I dont like Ubaldo.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Anyone want to project BJ Uptons stats for this year?

My projections:

BA: 275, HR: 24, RBI: 83, RUNS: 101, SB: 36

d ray

EOG Dedicated

Are you going into the season punting any categories?
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">1B - Singles</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">2B - Doubles</td><td align="left">2 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">3B - Triples</td><td align="left">3 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">BB - Walks (Batters)</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">CS - Caught Stealing</td><td align="left">-1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">CYC - Hitting for the Cycle</td><td align="left">10 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">GDP - Ground Into Double Plays</td><td align="left">-1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">GSHR - Grand Slam Home Runs</td><td align="left">4 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">HP - Hit by Pitch</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">HR - Home Runs</td><td align="left">4 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">HRISP - Hits Runners in Sco. Pos.</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">IB - Intentional Walks</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">KO - Strikeouts (Batter)</td><td align="left">-1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">R - Runs</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">RBI - Runs Batted In</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">SB - Stolen Bases</td><td align="left">2 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">SF - Sacrifice Flies</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">SH - Sacrifice Hits</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table width="100%" border="0" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">B - Balks</td><td align="left">-1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">BBI - Walks Issued (Pitchers)</td><td align="left">-1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">BS - Blown Saves</td><td align="left">-5 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">CG - Complete Games</td><td align="left">5 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">CGL - Complete Game Loss</td><td align="left">3 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">ER - Earned Runs</td><td align="left">-1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">HA - Hits Allowed</td><td align="left">-1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">HB - Hit Batsmen</td><td align="left">-1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">HRA - Home Runs Allowed</td><td align="left">-1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">INN - Innings</td><td align="left">3 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">K - Strikeouts (Pitcher)</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">L - Losses</td><td align="left">-5 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">NH - No-Hitters</td><td align="left">10 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">NHL - No-Hitter Loss</td><td align="left">5 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">PG - Perfect Games</td><td align="left">20 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">PKO - Pick Offs</td><td align="left">1 point</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">S - Saves</td><td align="left">10 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">SO - Shutouts</td><td align="left">5 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">W - Wins</td><td align="left">10 points</td></tr><tr class="bg2" valign="middle" align="right" height="17"><td align="left">WP - Wild Pitches</td></tr></tbody></table>

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Where would YOU draft Manny if he's not signed by the time of YOUR draft?

Tuckman

Uh Poster

i would still draft him as he is on a squad, no way does he hold out or start the season as a free agent. hes not much for spring training so missing that wont effectively hurt him imo

d ray

EOG Dedicated

After 13 picks

C- McCann
1b- Howard
2b- Alexei Ramirez
SS- Hanley Ramirez
3b- Aramis Ramirez
OFs- Markakis, Ellsbury, Pence
Sps- Felix, Greinke, Wang, Pelfrey
RPs- Wood

Broxton went right b4 i picked, wanted him

like the way its coming together, wanted another pitcher my last pick but took Pence.

MC, what do you think of this draft? I had the 10th pick, 12 team, H2H, 5X5 scoring.

1. Braun
2. Holliday
3. Morneau
4. Ichiro
5. Alex Rios
6. Peavy
7. Huff
8. Lackey
9. Votto
10. Oswalt
11. Bruce
12. Wells
13. Sheets
14. Kelly Johnson
15. Joey Devine
16. Orlando Cabrera
17. Pierzynski
18. Sherrill
19. Polanco
20. Ziegler
21. Asdrubal Cabrera

I have since made the following moves...

Polanco was dropped in favor of Pablo Sandoval. He qualifies at C, 1B, and 3B.

I dropped Sheets once I read that he's electing surgery in favor of Armando Gallarraga.

I'm trying to move Wells to someone for some pitching. Already been turned down for a straight up trade of Wells for Grienke.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

RD,

Like it a lot.
Spped, AVg, Power.

Although you took Huff too early and Holliday wont be the same in Oakland.

You need Peavy and Oswalt to stay healthy.

Don't love the closer situation.

d ray

EOG Dedicated

If Chris Ray is healthy, he should be Baltimore's closer although they may limit his innings, or not allow him back to back opportunities coming back from elbow surgery.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

After 13 picks

C- McCann
1b- Howard
2b- Alexei Ramirez
SS- Hanley Ramirez
3b- Aramis Ramirez
OFs- Markakis, Ellsbury, Pence
Sps- Felix, Greinke, Wang, Pelfrey
RPs- Wood

Broxton went right b4 i picked, wanted him

like the way its coming together, wanted another pitcher my last pick but took Pence.

Fantastic team. May want one more big time HR guy a with AVG.....Morneau would be perfect, if you could trade for him!

Also dont love your SP depth. Some good sleeper guys you can still draft that should have good years!

d ray

EOG Dedicated

we have 14 rounds to go, so there are lots of SP there yet. i figure i'll have 8-10 when we finish. RP's are flying off the board right now, going to be tough to find another good one.

biggamer3

EOG Master

We can keep up to five guys and lose the round we drafted the guy we keep, so value is the key.

These are the options to be kept:

Davis, Chris 3B TEX Round 15
Cano, Robinson 2B NYY 3rd round, not keeping
Cantu, Jorge 3B FLA Round 15
Reyes, Jose B. SS NYM round 1
Tulowitzki, Troy SS COL Round 27
Pena, Carlos 1B TB Round 15
Ellsbury, Jacoby CF BOS Round 16
Hawpe, Brad RF COL Round 13
Ibanez, Raul LF PHI Round 10
Kemp, Matt CF LA Round 8
Swisher, Nick CF NYY Round 20
Sheffield, Gary DH DET not keeping
Active Pitchers Lohse, Kyle SP STL round 15
Nolasco, Ricky SP FLA round 15
Santana, Ervin SP ANA round 15
Scherzer, Max SP ARI round 15
Webb, Brandon SP ARI round 3
Gonzalez, Mike RP ATL round 15
Perez, Chris RP STL round 15
Rodney, Fernando RP DET Street, Huston RP COL not keeping
Reserve Batters Millar, Kevin 1B BAL Furcal, Rafael SS LA round 4
Reserve Pitchers Carpenter, Chris SP STL round 15
Kershaw, Clayton SP LA Round 24
Pettitte, Andy SP NYY not keeping
Price, David SP TB round 22

WHICH 5 DO I KEEP?

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Davis
Santana
Ellsbury
Kershaw
Price

Those guys will all go earlier than the rounds you have them in.

The other guys are better, but you can once again get them in your draft.

biggamer3

EOG Master

Davis
Santana
Ellsbury
Kershaw
Price

Those guys will all go earlier than the rounds you have them in.

The other guys are better, but you can once again get them in your draft.
Dont you think Scherzer is better than Kershaw?

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

TIP!

Instead of overvaluing the 1 HR, 40 RBI, 50 SB guys, and overspending on the 30 HR, 110 RBI, .260, 0 SB guys......

Draft as many .280, 20-25 HR, 20-40 SB guys as possible.

Here are some....

BJ Upton -

Expect much more power (he only hit 7 in 2008) now that he will be 100% healthy this year. He will regain the power. He put on a show in the postseason. No reason to think he wont continue to hit homeruns and steal bases (44 in '08).

.288 / 25 HR / 35 SB

Alex Rios -

I like this kid. I wasn't happy with the HR production in 2008 (15). But he is capable of hit 20 (he hit 24 in '07). His speed is there and should steal 30 again.

.295 / 21 HR / 32 SB

Matt Kemp -

Kemp showed some power (18) and a lot of speed (35) last year. He is entering his prime now and I can see his HR total go up by a few. He has become a fulltime everyday player now so dont worry about him losing AB's.

.290 / 20 HR / 33 SB

Brandon Phillips -

You could say he had an off year in .2008. His HR (21) numbers dipped by 9. And so did his SB (23) numbers. Don't forget that he did miss the last 20 games due to a broken index finger. Phillips will be batting cleanup this year. The only thing that will change is his RBI. I still see him swiping 20+ bases. The Reds do not have a wait for a HR type of team. The people who grab Cano and Roberts before him will be making a big mistake.

.282 / 28 HR / 24 SB

Part 2 coming up later....

RD,

Like it a lot.
Spped, AVg, Power.

Although you took Huff too early and Holliday wont be the same in Oakland.

You need Peavy and Oswalt to stay healthy.

Don't love the closer situation.

Agree on Holliday not providing the power that he did in Coors, but he can still hit.

I begrudgingly took Huff... best player available.

Closers went early and often in the draft. Saves is one category that I don't overpay for.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

RD,

I really dont like Huff this year. I'd try to trade him.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

For people who love Scherzer (like myself), he might not get his first start till the 2nd or 3rd week in April. With days off early, they will not use him if they dont have to.

Tuckman

Uh Poster

whats your take on harden? will he be able to last 3/4 of the season? i know the full season is not an option, but a 3/4 of a season out of him is worth more then most starters full seasons imo