SATURDAY NBA PHILA @ MEMPHIS

Ned

EOG Veteran
Neither one of these teams come at you on offense, as Memphis is young, has some shooters, but works within their means, which is half-court. The Sixers are also the same type of team, neither of these teams are explosive, and Memphis defensive numbers are a product of an offense that doesn't get up and down the court, so they arrive in the middle of the pack defensively, by default. There is a big difference what happens when they get at home vs teams that also show the desire to play slow, with a good defensive acumen and commitment. The numbers show both these teams in the bottom 10 in the NBA in points scored per game. It has been missed by the oddsmakers, and that is where I move in.

Let's take a look at what I see here:

I'm going to breakdown Memphis at home vs the bottom feeders on offense in the NBA, those teams in the bottom 10 in points scored per game. I will put them in 2 groups, and you'll see why, when I'm finished.

GROUP A (NORMAL GAMES WITHOUT SOMETHING FREAKY HAPPENING):
THE NEGATIVE #'s BESIDE THE SCORE IS POINTS BELOW THE TOTAL

DETROIT 79-87 -11
LA CLIP 93-81 -25.5
NO 85-80 -21
NO 84-91 -19
SA 80-91 -14.5
TOR 78-70 -50
MIA 102-86 -5.5
---------------------------
7 GAMES -146.5 -20.93 AVG BELOW THE POSTED TOTAL!!!

GROUP B ( FLUKE GAMES)

CHARLOTTE 83-112 +12
LA CLIP 105-126 +27.5
------------------------------
2 GAMES +39.5 +19.75 AVG ABOVE THE TOTAL

OK LETS LOOK AT GROUP B:

The Charlotte game that went over the total by 12 points was a complete fluke. Charlotte shot a franchise high 66% from the field in that game. To put that in perspective, if they shot 59% in that game, it goes UNDER!!!

LA CLIPPERS GAME:

The Clippers shot 59% in that game and an amazing 55.2% from 3. That wasn't 55.2% of a few 3's, they jacked up 29 of them in that game, and hit an amazing 16 of them. At the same time Charlotte hit 49% from the field in that game, and there was a total of 62 free throws taken!

So the 2 games that got OVER the total in "like" games were complete flukes! Could the same thing happen here? Of course it could, but handicapping a game isn't about what is least likely to happen it is about what is most likely to happen.

When circumstances are normal in this type of game, the total is off by 21 points a game! If it takes someone hitting 66% to push it over, when even 59% wouldn't have gotten it done, that says it all right there, it takes a lot to happen to reach the number posted here. The odds in this game are tilted against the books in a big way

PHILA/MEMPHIS UNDER 191.5

munson15

I want winners...
Re: SATURDAY NBA PHILA @ MEMPHIS

Ned, that's what I love about you, you never stop working.12io4j2w90

""""Handicapping a game isn't about what is least likely to happen it is about what is most likely to happen.""""

Let's just put this in the top ten best quotes about gambling I've heard. Ned, these writeups are very enlightening. Thanks.:cheers

TheBigRagu

EOG Veteran

Ned, the only thing missing from that piece, is the ending, which will be victory, all aboard.....thanks bol :pop:

Dopey

EOG Enthusiast

tailing as well. the write-up sold me. I am from Philly so my boys better do me well tonight! good luck everyone.

finite

EOG Enthusiast

The thing that bothers me about this is that the numbers for Memphis with the old coach were for a team that struggled to hit 20 points a quarter and the new coach seems to have loosen things up a lot.

Ned

EOG Veteran

The thing that bothers me about this is that the numbers for Memphis with the old coach were for a team that struggled to hit 20 points a quarter and the new coach seems to have loosen things up a lot.

Less Than 2 yrs ago:

Grizzlies Name Iavaroni as Head Coach

<!-- Detect Image -->
Joe Murphy/NBAE/Getty Images

Related Articles

<!-- Close Dataset, get rid of cache -->
<!-- end articleSecondary -->
MEMPHIS, May 31, 2007 - Grizzlies majority owner Michael Heisley today named Marc Iavaroni as the team?s new head coach.
"Marc is going to make an immediate impact on this organization, team and city and we are honored that he will be making his NBA head coaching debut with Memphis,? said Heisley. "He is highly regarded by Jerry West as a coach with extraordinary basketball knowledge and skill, and we look forward to having him guide the Grizzlies in our pursuit of a championship."

Where was the immediate impact?

Posted Jan 25 2009 6:18PM
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Lionel Hollins is clear about what steps he needs to take to succeed in the daunting task of leading the Memphis Grizzlies to respectability.

Nothing has changed! Just the names have been changed. Players play a little harder on defense for a new coach:

UNDER IOVARONI LAST 39 GAMES:

MEMPHIS ALLOWS 100+: 26/39 67%

UNDER HOLLINS ALLOWS 100+: 7/18 38.9%

The offense has done better, simply because the defense is working harder, but the points trade-off is not tangible<!-- START 'inlineAds : default' FILE: /.element/ssi/story/1.0/news/.branding/default/inlineAds.html -->