Is there a worse in-game coach than Roy Williams?

Every single time I have seen them in a close game, he fails to draw up any semblance of a play and is consistently outcoached. His end of game play schemes are literally on the pee-wee level. I guess the strategy of just letting the better talent play wins out but the Tarheels get outcoached seemingly every close game they are in.

Re: Is there a worse in-game coach than Roy Williams?

i've said he was dog shit for a long time now. timely will come on and get mad if u rip unc tho

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Every single time I have seen them in a close game, he fails to draw up any semblance of a play and is consistently outcoached. His end of game play schemes are literally on the pee-wee level. I guess the strategy of just letting the better talent play wins out but the Tarheels get outcoached seemingly every close game they are in.

:thumbsup

He can get the talent, but that's it as far as coaching....

I'm not ripping UNC, just saying in a hypothetical game with the same exact players he's be at least a 20 point dog to a number of coaches.

unc is a reflection of their coach. They got the #1 recruiting class so many years in a row and didn't do shit. 1 championship and that's it . Not impressive at all to me

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

He has won a National Title ....

puts him one up on Howland,, Crean, Alford and tied with Lute Olson, Bill Self ,Tubby Smith and Jim
Boeheim

The guy is a winner .... he run cleans pgms

Knight?

ru serious?

I hope you don't mean Pat Knight. As if anyone is considering him anything.

Ah I see you edited it.

Lute Olsen was another mental midget and a cheat. Miles Simon freaking carried him to a title, but how many times did lesser talented better coached teams humiliate him in the early rounds.

nedrow

EOG Dedicated

nc and uconn wont do much in the nc2as imo
pitt never does
memphis could be around and lv syr clem
its wide open this year
========
where as the woman u no uconn won the championship gj gg

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

I dont watch much college hoops but some say the same about Coach K, good recruiter, bad coach.

A good coach is rthat guy for Utah State. He always has them a good team and disciplined. And how the hell do you get good recruits to commit there? Think Id rather be at the beach at UCLA or USC or something than be in Dingledunk, Utah for 4 years if I was a potential college kid recruit. Now that is coaching

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

YES

Coach K is even more clueless than Huckleberry Hound

DefenseWins

EOG Veteran

I dont watch much college hoops but some say the same about Coach K, good recruiter, bad coach.

A good coach is rthat guy for Utah State. He always has them a good team and disciplined. And how the hell do you get good recruits to commit there? Think Id rather be at the beach at UCLA or USC or something than be in Dingledunk, Utah for 4 years if I was a potential college kid recruit. Now that is coaching

Im a UNC fan but I can tell you that IMO coach K is a better in game coach than Roy.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

and those bashing Williams would take him in a heartbeat if they had an
opening

Took Wooden and Smith around 18 yrs each to win their 1st National
Titles

Gene Keady never got to the Final Four

Roy boy is 3rd all time winning % in Div I history and in the Basketball
HOF and been named Twice National Coach of the year

He must do something right as having all the talent don't mean shit if
ya look at some of the coaches of Elite pgms who have never won a
National Title

railbird

EOG Master

Roy handed Syracuse a title at Kansas. The 1 title Roy did win was a ref aided one where May was allowed to cross check his defender all night. I can wait to fade NC again when the line is single digits.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

all coaches have had those moments

Ya make decisions and then hope 18 and 19 yr old kids execute

maverick

EOG Veteran

Stew Morrill.........would love to see what he could do with Roy's and Coach K's talent.....

Have also had some bad breaks in the big dance where they run up against some dominating teams early.........

maverick

EOG Veteran

Roy handed Syracuse a title at Kansas. The 1 title Roy did win was a ref aided one where May was allowed to cross check his defender all night. I can wait to fade NC again when the line is single digits.

They also got some beneficial calls vs Wisconsin and Villanova that same year........Villanova game was tied with a minute left.....

Cant help but think Illinois wins the championship game if James Augustine doesnt pick up 4 early early fouls........he was about the only Illinois inside big guy............