So my brother calls me up....wants to start gambling.

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere
I told him how hard it is to get out of. I warn him of the low percentage that win long-term and any money he puts towards it he has to expect to lose. He still insists on wanting to do it on his days off and wants me to teach him some things. He doesn't know sports real good outside of nfl but that doesn't matter imo. Not a big numbers person which worries me a lot more than not knowing sports in general. Do I teach him as much as I can or keep trying to fend him away from the idea? Of course if he is totally set on it then I would have no choice but to help.

Re: So my brother calls me up....wants to start gambling.

If he doesn't know sports and isn't a numbers guy, the chances of him winning are less than 1%.

You could always tell him to start booking if he just wants the thrill of it.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

tell him to join EOG and follow guys like

Shrink
Raycabino
OSU

:thumbsup

WVU

EOG Master

He doesn't have a shot. Don't even think of teaching him anything. You will regret it for sure. And so will he and his family

Why would anybody introduce this to his own flesh and blood?

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

Biggest waste of time in my life and wish i never wasted one second doing it.

janus

EOG Dedicated

why not lend him your crack pipe? he did ask after all, didn't he, pookie?

Why would anybody introduce this to his own flesh and blood?

That's what I thought. How can someone who is already a complete degen want any of their family to be one as well? We're on this fuckin board all day, looking at numbers all day, trying to find a edge all day and you want to waste another persons life doing that as well? Think about it and then do what you think is right. I can tell you what I think, but it's your blood.

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

Knew what to expect out of this thread...the purpose is to let him read it to realize just how bad this shit is.

Then again the last thing I would want is for him to be set on it and get involved by himself...I learned the hard way. If I wanted him involved I would have introduced him to it a long time ago...he has asked me to place bets for him before during the nfl season and I refused to do so.

janus

EOG Dedicated

Knew what to expect out of this thread...the purpose is to let him read it to realize just how bad this shit is.

Then again the last thing I would want is for him to be set on it and get involved by himself...I learned the hard way. If I wanted him involved I would have introduced him to it a long time ago...he has asked me to place bets for him before during the nfl season and I refused to do so.

given that....

HEY KID: HEROIN IS FUN TOO:

Are most really that addicted to gambling? Really?
no, I think we were just making a point with an extreme close up.. If I wouldve spent 1/10th of the time doing something productive as I have reading Blood Horse magazines I would be a happier man ..

janus

EOG Dedicated

no, I think we were just making a point with an extreme close up.. If I wouldve spent 1/10th of the time doing something productive as I have reading Blood Horse magazines I would be a happier man ..

best post i've seen in.... ever.

Haha, that is true.

fivedoorsdown

EOG Dedicated

I told him how hard it is to get out of. I warn him of the low percentage that win long-term and any money he puts towards it he has to expect to lose. He still insists on wanting to do it on his days off and wants me to teach him some things. He doesn't know sports real good outside of nfl but that doesn't matter imo. Not a big numbers person which worries me a lot more than not knowing sports in general. Do I teach him as much as I can or keep trying to fend him away from the idea? Of course if he is totally set on it then I would have no choice but to help.
just book it for him. hope he doesnt get beginners luck

Cannon

Banned

Show him how to start booking on a 20 cent line with his friends. He will make a ton of money

give him JJ's number...hell change his mind instantaneously!

One three minute conversation with JJ and he'll never bet a game again. In three minutes the conversation will include blowing old men to obtain money to bet with, throwing bazooka gum to kids on the sidewalk, Going to GA to only tell them that he can book the bets while they recover, bringing nothing to forums yet being worshipped and last but not least: How to live a life of a all time loser and wear a rug all at the same time.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The problem with your brother is that he doesn't realize how hard it is to win and doesn't realize the price that must be paid TO win.

For some reason, he has it in his head that 'how hard can it be'. Maybe he's heard of someone who wins long term or knows someone who wins long term and he thinks, "if that guy can do it, why can't i?"

It takes many years of intense study just to get over the curve.

If he is really serious about betting sports, you have to ask him this question:

"are you willing to watch sports day and night, take notes, make bets on paper and do this for 2 or 3 years before making your first bet".

He sounds like he wants to gamble and get started betting.

tell him if he wants to do it the right way, he needs to become an expert on sports and see if he can show a profit with mythical bets. Keep detailed notes and don't bet an actual real dollar and see if you can win. You'll need at least 2 years of profit to prove you can actually win. (anyone can have a hot 'year' and get lucky, but if you win 2 years in a row, you are onto something)

Cannon

Banned

Biggest waste of time in my life and wish i never wasted one second doing it.

I will second that. I could be drinking in my friends bar for free and I am sweating games 8-10 for the day and chasing. This is one nasty lifestyle.