OT: Top all time scary movies

mofome

Banned
Not many movies are actually scary. Im talking with Oldirtyku right now and he is watching mirrors and says its scary as hell. What are some good ones?

Cannon

Banned
Re: OT: Top all time scary movies

When that dude was tied to the bed and was still alive I almost pissed myself in the movie theatre. I bought the movie and can not watch it because of the mind fuck it does to me.

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

From the effects it had with folks not wanting to venture into the Ocean
how does Jaws not make the list?

Doc Mercer

EOG Master

Williard

now there was a nice movie .......

If ya hated rats going in ..... you will hate them going out

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

This topic begins and ends with The Exorcist. Pure shock value, it was outstanding. There is a difference between horror and suspense in my mind. Hitchcock was the master at suspense. May I also vote for the dream sequences in American Werewolf in London (a classic funny scary movie)

The flashing evil face in the dreams of the priest were scary in The Exorcist.

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

Greetings:

Please accept the Munchkin Man's apologies for the Munchkin Man's delay in responding to this thread.

The Munchkin Man has been a lifelong film buff.

The Munchkin Man has a special place in the Munchkin Man's heart for those movies which succeed in scaring the Munchkin Man.

Without further ado, the Munchkin Man herewith lists his top 20 scariest movies in chronological order:

Metropolis (1927)
A Fritz Lang silent classic about a city in the future engaged in a clash between its workers and the powers who run it. This one reminds the Munchkin Man of what may be coming with the Obama administration.

Dracula (1931)
Bela Lugosi's stare while playing the role of Count Dracula still gives the Munchkin Man chills today.

War Of The Worlds (1953)
The Munchkin Man first saw this one back in the 1950s, and the Munchkin Man was sure the world was going to come to an end.

The Bad Seed (1956)
A loving mother and housewife slowly begins to realize that her seemingly innocent teenage daughter may be the evil force behind a number of murders.

The Incredible Shrinking Man (1957)
The Munchkin Man's father took the Munchkin Man to see this one, and the Munchkin Man was still frightened.

Horror Of Dracula (1958)
Starring Christopher Lee, whom the Munchkin Man credits as providing the second best portrayal of Count Dracula. Christopher Lee starred in a number of Dracula movies, and the Munchkin Man regards this one as the scariest.

The Fly (1958)
The voice of "The Fly" crying for help as he is about to be eaten by a large spider still haunts the Munchkin Man to this very day.

The House On Haunted Hill (1959)
Starring Vincent Price, this is the scariest "haunted house" movie the Munchkin Man has ever seen.

The Tingler (1959)
Another Vincent Price classic.

Psycho (1960)
Enough said.

The Man With X-Ray Eyes (1963)
Ray Milland plays a scientist who covets the power of x-ray vision and finally gets what he wants, before embarking upon his descent into madness.

Night Of The Living Dead (1968)
The grandaddy of all the modern day zombie movies.

Rosemary's Baby (1968)
Genuine horror from the forces of Satanic evil without all the gore.

The Exorcist (1973)
A classic. The Munchkin Man knew he had to see this one after the Munchkin Man read an article by a psychiatrist warning that this movie was guaranteed to cause permanent psychological damage.

The Conversation (1974)
This is one of those "psychological" horror movies. Directed by Francis Ford Coppola, Gene Hackman plays a surveillance expert who has to deal with sinister forces from the outside and from within his own psyche.

Halloween (1978)
Enough said.

Alien (1979)
Enough said.

The Shining (1980)
Another Francis Ford Coppola classic. The Munchkin Man can still see those scenes with the blood pouring out of the elevators.

Halloween III: The Season Of The Witch (1982)
This is the one about the "Silver Shamrock" Halloween masks. The Munchkin Man did not like this move the first time. The Munchkin Man saw it a second time and became genuinely frightened by the bizarrely imaginative and twisted plot. It took a sick mind to think of this one.

The Silence Of The Lambs (1990)
Would you want Dr. Lecter as YOUR psychiatrist, staring at you with those eyes, as he is talking to you?

This completes the Munchkin Man's list of the Munchkin Man's top 20 scariest films.

There are many other worthy contenders, but the Munchkin Man wanted to keep his list down to 20.

Some might wonder why the Munchkin Man did not choose Jaws (1975).

For some reason, this movie did not scare the Munchkin Man that much.

It was more of a suspense thriller for the Munchkin Man than a genuinely scary movie.

The Munchkin Man still rates it as an outstanding movie.

There are a number of other outstanding movies, some of which were genuinely scary to the Munchkin Man, which did not make this list.

The ones listed by the Munchkin Man are the ones which are the most memorable to the Munchkin Man.

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man

The Munchkin Man has several classics there. I would add "A Clockwork Orange".. that movie nightmared me pretty good.

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

The Munchkin Man has several classics there. I would add "A Clockwork Orange".. that movie nightmared me pretty good.

A solid choice and a definite classic from Mr. Sanderson.

Although this film never really scared the Munchkin Man, it still fascinated the Munchkin Man.

Munchkin Man

NoNewbieca

EOG Dedicated

The Shining (1980)
Another Francis Ford Coppola classic. The Munchkin Man can still see those scenes with the blood pouring out of the elevators.
Sorry to correct you, but this is in fact a Stanley Kubrick movie (2001: A Space Odyssey, Full Metal Jacket)

Others to add to the list would include:

Amityville Horror - the original with Charles Brolin.

Carrie - Stephen King classic, especially the cemetery scene at the end

Most horror movies these days tend to be gross outs with little suspense (SAW series comes to mind or Hostel, or Touristas)

Munchkin Man

EOG Dedicated

The Shining (1980)

Sorry to correct you, but this is in fact a Stanley Kubrick movie (2001: A Space Odyssey, Full Metal Jacket)

Greetings NoNewbieca:

Never feel sorry about correcting the Munchkin Man when the Munchkin Man is wrong.

The Munchkin Man is wrong in this instance.

Indeed, Stanley Kubrick directed The Shining (1980), instead of Francis Ford Coppola.

The Munchkin Man stands corrected.

Thank you for correcting the Munchkin Man.

:cheers

Best Wishes,

Munchkin Man