David Price starting out in the Minors seems like a large risk for the Rays

mofome

Banned
This race is going to be tight and Price is, without question, one of their best 5 starters. Not a risk that is likely to pay off in Sept.

Re: David Price starting out in the Minors seems like a large risk for the Rays

They are starting Price off in the minors because if they send their 5th starter to the minors he will be eligible to be signed by another team, and several have expressed interest in him.

mofome

Banned

They are starting Price off in the minors because if they send their 5th starter to the minors he will be eligible to be signed by another team, and several have expressed interest in him.

Incorrect.

mofome

Banned

It's not the workload story they are feeding the press.

Trust me.

No one would suggest that it is.

Trust me.

Surprised that you would not know the actual reason. Same reason Weiters is going down for the Os.

No one would suggest that it is.

Trust me.

Surprised that you would not know the actual reason. Same reason Weiters is going down for the Os.

Arbitration is part of the reason but the main reason is because if he comes up they are going to have to basically let another club sign their 5th starter (Hammel or Neimann I think).

I thought arbitration was the reason but my buddy that writes for the Sentinel told me that was the reason he was told from the team

mofome

Banned

Arbitration is part of the reason but the main reason is because if he comes up they are going to have to basically let another club sign their 5th starter (Hammel or Neimann I think).

I thought arbitration was the reason but my buddy that writes for the Sentinel told me that was the reason he was told from the team

Saving money my friend. Both of those guys are bums and they wouldn't consider losing a few games to keep either of them. They have each been rocked in the spring and don't project to be AL East SPs. All about the money.

"The Rays will keep saying it's a baseball move, but Price is going down so that they can save money in three years. It seems like a ridiculous choice when the AL East seems likely to be so closely contended again. They can't even make the case that he was outpitched this spring, what with Jason Hammel sporting a 4.95 ERA and Jeff Niemann at 7.71. Price, who was held back intiially, allowed one run in 8 1/3 innings. This will serve to keep his innings count down, and Price may be a better pitcher in September as a result. However, if the Rays go 3-7 in the fifth starter's starts before Price comes up in late May or June, it might mean the difference between a playoff spot and spending October at home."

Price will be up eventually, with your reasoning what does it matter when one of those guys is sent down? If a guy is out of options he's out of options. I didn't know they either was. Each is a bum regardless, imo.

biggamer3

EOG Master

This will surely bite the Rays in the ass.

The Rays will need every win they can get with the Yankees and Sox in their division.

IMO Rays win 81 games this year

rjt721

EOG Master

Team RJT isn't happy about this move.

mofome

Banned

team rjt should release him and pick him up later in the year.

Price definitely will be up, but they are going to make a trade to make room for him from what I've heard.

The Rays really weren't coy about it when they kept Longo down for so long. Just letting you know from what I've heard this is not the main reason. Pretty good source too.

mofome

Banned

I know that you know your stuff, my man. I just don't care what anyone in the world says, I believe this move is 100% about the money. Rays are a cheap team. Weiters in the same boat. Those guys being out of options, if thats the case, isn't reason to send Price down. You play to win and this move doesn't help them win. This move does one thing and that is saves them money.

FairWarning

Bells Beer Connoisseur

I know that you know your stuff, my man. I just don't care what anyone in the world says, I believe this move is 100% about the money. Rays are a cheap team. Weiters in the same boat. Those guys being out of options, if thats the case, isn't reason to send Price down. You play to win and this move doesn't help them win. This move does one thing and that is saves them money.

They did the same thing with Longoria last year. It is 100% about the money.

Talked to David yesterday. He isn't worried about it. He said he will be up by the end of May. When I asked why he got put down he said "it's a business."

Tuckman

Uh Poster

Talked to David yesterday. He isn't worried about it. He said he will be up by the end of May. When I asked why he got put down he said "it's a business."

are u in anyway related to railbird? :cheers

Across MLB teams are sending major league ready players to the minors with plans to call them up in a few weeks. By not being in the majors for a full year, the players in effect have to play another whole year to become arbitration (3 yrs.) and free-agency (6 yrs.) eligible.

are u in anyway related to railbird? :cheers

Hahah. :finger004

From David's hometown. We still keep in touch occasionally. Usually over the x-box.

mofome

Banned

:cheers

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/jun/15/160704/rays-braves/sports-rays/

David Price (10-2) prevailed against the team he grew up rooting for in Nashville, but he gave up three runs - two earned - on eight hits and three walks with two wild pitches.
Price needed 113 pitches just to get through the fifth.

Seems to be paying off (waiting), he was in the BIGS a tad early last yearas a starter, IMO.... He learned a lot though on the job last year.

STILL USED PRICE IN A GOOD ROLE IN '08 postseaon to boot, PROPS TO THE RAYS!!!