The top 5 hitters in the Major leagues right now: your opinons..

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Re: The top 5 hitters in the Major leagues right now: your opinons..

Right now? Swisher has to be there...but he won't last...

Can't argue with your list....

mofome

Banned

haha swish leading the mlb in ops in 09!

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Leaving out Ichiro huh? I've said this before and this is a bold statement but all things considered he is simply the best overall baseball player I've ever seen.

Leaving him off the best hitters list is bold. You don't need the power numbers to be a great HITTER. I can sure tell you he's better than Chase Utley.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Give me Ryan Braun, Josh Hamilton and David Wright ahead of Chase Utley. The other four are right.

Oh, and A-Rod when he gets back.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Leaving out Ichiro huh? I've said this before and this is a bold statement but all things considered he is simply the best overall baseball player I've ever seen.

Leaving him off the best hitters list is bold. You don't need the power numbers to be a great HITTER. I can sure tell you he's better than Chase Utley.

Bonds was just as good defensively and a better hitter, with out 'roids.

A-Rod is a better overall baseball player. Best SS of this generation, and soon going to be the best third basemen. He was a terrific all around player as well.

mofome

Banned

Yeah its really not that bold, these guys are all better hitters so i went with them instead. Thanks for letting me know that you don't have to have great power to be considered an excellent HITTER, I had no idea. You can have ichiro and his .747 OPS. Im happy with my list.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Then give me Carlos Quentin and Evan Longoria. Longoria has been the second best hitter in baseball right now.

Quentin is 7 of his last 16 with 4 HR's and 8 RBI's.

pujols
chipper
arod
holliday
hanley

you all discount the hitter that chipper jones is now... with health last year, he had a shot at .400. chipper is full grown now at the plate, and has stopped his late night shenanigans... i just wish he had health for one FULL season.

Arod
Albert
Longoria
Hanley
Manny

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

cast a vote for joe mauer..an amazing gifted incredible hitter

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Yeah its really not that bold, these guys are all better hitters so i went with them instead. Thanks for letting me know that you don't have to have great power to be considered an excellent HITTER, I had no idea. You can have ichiro and his .747 OPS. Im happy with my list.

Yeah, no Utley will never be a better hitter than Ichiro and there are others that are better than Utley as well. I like the other 4 but we're all entitled to our own opinions.

mofome

Banned

Yeah, no Utley will never be a better hitter than Ichiro and there are others that are better than Utley as well. I like the other 4 but we're all entitled to our own opinions.

yes of course we are, but you speak to people, at times, as if they are retarded. Utley, imo, is a better hitter than Ichiro. Utley was 14th in all of baseball last year in OPS, just below david wright. Ichirio is a great defensive player and a great all around player, but if I need one guy up with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, its going to be Chase of Ichiro.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

yes of course we are, but you speak to people, at times, as if they are retarded. Utley, imo, is a better hitter than Ichiro. Utley was 14th in all of baseball last year in OPS, just below david wright. Ichirio is a great defensive player and a great all around player, but if I need one guy up with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th, its going to be Chase of Ichiro.

And I take Ichiro over anyone with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th only needing a base hit. Such is life.

Youk is my favorite and should be in the hunt of top 5 hitters this season. again..:cheers

mofome

Banned

OPS is a fine stat. The most ridiculous stat, that people continue to reference as if it matters, is a SPs record.

Is there a more flawed statistic in sports than the OPS?

how about rbi's? put me in the cleanup spot for the bosox and i'll get 75 rbi's.. i might hit .100 but, i'll knock guys in. put me in the 4 hole for the padres, i will hit .100 and knock 18 rbi's.

good to see you HEAT, been awhile

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Do you need a base hit or a home run? If you need a base hit you'd be delusional to go with Utley over Ichiro. He's proved since he's gotten into the league that he's the best at hitting the baseball, but he's not the best overall hitter.

By the way, Pujols finishes with a higher BA than Ichiro every year, nearly, and he hits for power.

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

[/b]

Do you need a base hit or a home run? If you need a base hit you'd be delusional to go with Utley over Ichiro. He's proved since he's gotten into the league that he's the best at hitting the baseball, but he's not the best overall hitter.

By the way, Pujols finishes with a higher BA than Ichiro every year, nearly, and he hits for power.

Yeah I know. Albert is one amazing hitter.

[/b]

When does a team just need a home run?:+clueless I have never heard an announcer say if we dont get a home run here the game is over.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

And I take Ichiro over anyone with 2 outs in the bottom of the 9th only needing a base hit. Such is life.

Give me Albert Pujols, Derrick Jeter, Joe Crede, Manny Ramirez, David Wright, Miguel Cabrera, and David Ortiz ahead of him in that spot.

mofome

Banned

[/b]

he used to be the best at hitting the baseball and is still close, but last year pedrioa swung and missed less than ichiro. I will take utley over ichi without thinking twice about it, and wright would be my next choice.

:thumbsup

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

When does a team just need a home run?:+clueless I have never heard an announcer say if we dont get a home run here the game is over.

Do you need an extra base hit or a single?

Plenty of times. When there are two outs and no body on in the bottom of the ninth inning, and you're down 1 you are looking for a HR.

mofome

Banned

WPA ranks the top 5 batters as:
Manny
Berk
Albert
Teix
Bay

that was for 2008

Tuckman

Uh Poster

miggy
hanley
manny
wright
pujols