Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell

PassTheRock

EOG Master
Has retired from the Octagon.

MONTREAL (AP) ? In a mixed martial arts event with plenty worth noting, UFC 97 will likely be remembered for Chuck Liddell's fourth loss in five fights and his apparent departure from the sport he helped build from the ground up.

The 39-year-old Liddell said it was "probably safe to say" his career was over after he was knocked out by Mauricio Rua in the first round on Saturday night.

"It's not working for me lately," he said simply before leaving the news conference.

It was up to UFC president Dana White to handle the requiem.

"You're never going to see Chuck Liddell on the canvas again," he said. "It's never going to happen. It's done.

"Tonight was the end of an era. One of the greatest guys in the sport fought his last fight tonight."

White revealed he had tried to get the former light-heavyweight champion to retire after his last loss ? a devastating knockout at the hands of Rashad Evans at UFC 88. But Liddell convinced his friend and former manager that he wanted to train for one last go-round.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iBk3aasuAYY_xhJ48qkNcwQ-_8cAD97LMDM80

Liddell will stay with UFC and assume a new role within the company.

The Rua v. Liddell fight was more about Rua than Liddell.

You never know which Shogun is gonna show up. Unfortunately for Chuck, the old Pride one did.

railbird

EOG Master
Re: Chuck "The Iceman" Liddell

Liddell won fistfights with junior college or washed up wrestlers. Pride way better than ufc. Liddell got exposed when he wentvs pride and then exposed for the fraud he was again 4 of his last 5 fights against competent strikers.

Dana White is a scumbag who hyped this guy up, all the donkeys and sheep bought the hype.

Holy shit, I think I agree with you
Liddell won fistfights with junior college or washed up wrestlers. Pride way better than ufc. Liddell got exposed when he wentvs pride and then exposed for the fraud he was again 4 of his last 5 fights against competent strikers.

Dana White is a scumbag who hyped this guy up, all the donkeys and sheep bought the hype.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

Liddell looked lost and I'm glad he his retiring. Too many guys try to hold on to nothing.

Randy Couture was a washed up wrestler? I thought he was a Olympic alternate. What JC did Belfort go to, or Overreem, or Sobral? Were these guys even wrestlers? Randleman was a a two time NCAA Division I champ at Ohio State. little better than a JC.

As for all of the great Pride fighters, two words...Mirko Cro-Cop.

Former Pride champ Wanderlei Silva is a punching bag in the UFC. Rua and Rampage both lost to a guy from a TV Reality Show. Big Nog just got beat by Frank Mir. A UFC fighter who got dropped went to Pride and beat up media darling and LW champ Gomi.

I know you want to say Anderson Silva is a Pride Fighter, but he had more CageRage fights than he did Pride, and as a UFC fighter he took out Pride's MW and WW champ Dan Henderson.

Who else do you want to talk about from Pride? Dennis Kang? Hahahaha. Gono? Herring? Chonan? Sakuraba?

Some good fighters in Pride for sure, but the Pride stable of fighters has been completely exposed against better competition. It was one step up from the WEC.

railbird

EOG Master

His last 5 fights his ROI is like -11.5 that reeks of grossly overrated.

OscarB

EOG Dedicated

Randy Couture was a washed up wrestler? I thought he was a Olympic alternate. What JC did Belfort go to, or Overreem, or Sobral? Were these guys even wrestlers? Randleman was a a two time NCAA Division I champ at Ohio State. little better than a JC.

Former Pride champ Wanderlei Silva is a punching bag in the UFC. Rua and Rampage both lost to a guy from a TV Reality Show. Big Nog just got beat by Frank Mir. A UFC fighter who got dropped went to Pride and beat up media darling and LW champ Gomi.

I know you want to say Anderson Silva is a Pride Fighter, but he had more CageRage fights than he did Pride, and as a UFC fighter he took out Pride's MW and WW champ Dan Henderson.

Who else do you want to talk about from Pride? Dennis Kang? Hahahaha. Gono? Herring? Chonan? Sakuraba?

Some good fighters in Pride for sure, but the Pride stable of fighters has been completely exposed against better competition. It was one step up from the WEC.

..what he said, good post

railbird

EOG Master

Couture got CUT from the Olympic team 17 years ago. Lidell could do jack squat when he fought real strikers, he was 0-5 in that spot.

solid post. Although rampage example i don't agree with. He's been a mental case and never had the right training in pride. in UFC he's much better

Wanderlei is tough as nails. He's just getting old. Him and rampage are good fighters no matter what federation they fight in

Couture got CUT from the Olympic team 17 years ago. Lidell could do jack squat when he fought real strikers, he was 0-5 in that spot.

Hahahaha, you are such a clown some times. You just ragged on Randy Couture for being an Olympic Alternate, then referred to him as a great striker in the next sentence. Evans is a wrestler who couldn't outstrike Ortiz. Kieth Jardine is unorthodox, but hardly a "great striker", he's the only guy in the UFC that got beat (destroyed really) by Wandy.

You might try to say you weren't talking about Couture, then I guess that means you were talking about that incredible striker Jeromy Horn, who beat Liddell by submission.

Rampage and Rua are the only ones that qualify as "great strikers". But hey, 33% ain't bad when your betting, right Rail?