I'm lazy, someone tell me what makes a basketball assist....

shdw01

EOG Dedicated
alley oop - yes
dribble penetration and kick out to man on corner for 3 - yes

little more gray for me:

1) what if I pass to guy outside 3 pt range, he takes the 1.5/2 step shot (no dribble)?

2) what if I pass out and the shooter does a pump fake then shot?

3) what if I pass out and shooter does a 1-2 dribble step back?

4) what if I'm on a fast break and pass back, guy dribbles 3-4 times before the dunk?

5) bonus: what about an underhand pass to yourself off the backboard for the slam?

royalfan

EOG Dedicated
Re: I'm lazy, someone tell me what makes a basketball assist....

Interesting question. I know exactly what one is supposed to be and could score it better than anyone on the planet. This subject pisses me off greatly as the New Orleans scorekeeper has no fucking clue what one is. Paul's numbers are drastically inflated as a result. That dumbshit thinks every basket needs to have an assist. He cost me around a four grand swing last year in playoffs when Jason Terry passed to Dirk who pum faked a shot outside the three point line and then dribbled in and dunked and he gave Terry an assist. I lost a HUGE Terry point and assist prop by a hook on what obviously was not as good a play as I thought it was since it came to that. But ever since then I have noticed that dipshit don't know what an assist is.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

To answer your questions I need video examples but generally speaking.

1.Yes
2. No if dribbble involved unless New Orleans keeper.if no dribble sometimes yes, but depends on situation to an extent
3. Assuming mean a clear dish but stepping back for a three can be an assist but many types that can go either way depending on the video
4. Definately yes
5. Deifinately no

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

thanks RF....not sure if lack of responses is lack of interest or inability to give an answer that is backable. I think that the stat of assist haven't been consistently applied and is now beginning to be debatable.

Royalfan is wrong.

As long as the pass directly leads to score it can include dribbling. What he described in NO could be and is considered an assist.

The scorekeepers keep the "unofficial" stats. Thats why they commonly change from the time you go to bed to the time you wake up.

WVU

EOG Master

According to Bernie, who is the Vice President of Referee Operations and Director of Officials.

'What constitutes an assist? Does a player have to score directly after he receives the ball from a teammate? Or can he dribble the score? What if a player takes an inbounds past at his baseline, dribbles the whole length of the court, then scores. Is there an assist on that play?
-- Shawn

Bernie's Answer: I've received a number of questions related to game statistics (assists, blocks, turnovers, etc.). Referees are not responsible for determining these stats. There are courtside statisticians who enter game events in real-time (check nba.com while you're watching a game to see live play-by-play stats). The statisticians use guidelines for what counts in different categories. I asked our Director of Game Administration to help clarify this for us. Here is what he said:

An assist is credited to the player tossing the last pass leading directly to a field goal, only if the player scoring the goal responds by demonstrating immediate reaction toward the basket. This can include dribbling, as well as receiving a pass from out of bounds. In your example where the player dribbles the entire length of the court, the inbounder would not be credited with an assist due to the fact that the pass did not lead directly to a field goal

According to Bernie, who is the Vice President of Referee Operations and Director of Officials.

'What constitutes an assist? Does a player have to score directly after he receives the ball from a teammate? Or can he dribble the score? What if a player takes an inbounds past at his baseline, dribbles the whole length of the court, then scores. Is there an assist on that play?
-- Shawn

Bernie's Answer: I've received a number of questions related to game statistics (assists, blocks, turnovers, etc.). Referees are not responsible for determining these stats. There are courtside statisticians who enter game events in real-time (check nba.com while you're watching a game to see live play-by-play stats). The statisticians use guidelines for what counts in different categories. I asked our Director of Game Administration to help clarify this for us. Here is what he said:

An assist is credited to the player tossing the last pass leading directly to a field goal, only if the player scoring the goal responds by demonstrating immediate reaction toward the basket. This can include dribbling, as well as receiving a pass from out of bounds. In your example where the player dribbles the entire length of the court, the inbounder would not be credited with an assist due to the fact that the pass did not lead directly to a field goal

:thumbsup

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Royalfan is wrong.

As long as the pass directly leads to score it can include dribbling. What he described in NO could be and is considered an assist.

No Royalfan is dead right and you look like a fucking idiot saying that. Trust me, I know exactly what an assist is. And obviously you do not. When you pass it to a guy outside the three point line and he does a shot fake, then dribbles in to the lane three times and dunks that is not an assist. The pass had nothing to do with leading directly to the bucket. You are a dumbass to think so. Wow. You can't make this shit up. If you are going to call someone out, then have a fucking clue please.

Shadow is correct that scorekeepers are inconsistent. Namely the NO one who has no clue as previously stated until idiots come in here and say he does. He gives out many assists nobody else does. He is obviously in the wrong. I am one of the few that truly knows what one is and what one is not. You show a video example, I will tell you if it is one or not.

WVU

EOG Master

Royalfan it is all subjective. There will be cases that you think it is an assist but the courtside statistician sees it differently.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

The scorekeepers keep the "unofficial" stats. Thats why they commonly change from the time you go to bed to the time you wake up.

Again showing you don't have a fucking clue on the subject. This never happens. The scorekeeper is official. They don't go back and change stats aside from high profile situations such as Brons triple double debate, etc.

And furthermore, WVU's post was a good one and the last paragraph pretty well sums up what one is. That play I desribed in New Orleans is not in that description in any, way, shape or form and further proves you were stupid to call me out when I am and always have been correct on this subject and know exactly what an assist is supposed to be and you obviously do not.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Royalfan it is all subjective. There will be cases that you think it is an assist but the courtside statistician sees it differently.

Not debating that, as there are some very close calls but playing as many props that involves assists as I do, along with watching every single NBA playoff game, I know what one is supposed to be. But that slight grey area on some assists has me checking updated stat feed on some here and there but most of the time I don't need to look unless the game is in New Orleans where that guy dont have a clue.

WVU

EOG Master

In my view of the rule, you can dribble but when you make the move of shot faking and get the defender in the air and then readjust your shot then the assist is no longer in play because it was your fake that got you the basket and not the pass.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

In my view of the rule, you can dribble but when you make the move of shot faking and get the defender in the air and then readjust your shot then the assist is no longer in play because it was your fake that got you the basket and not the pass.

VERY much correct on that analysis. Some slight grey area on a situation where a defender goes on flying when out of position and a guy kicks to a shooter who has that guy fly out and he gives a slight up fake to let the guy fly by and shoots. You will often see an assist there and it is not incorrect in some cases to give one as the pass still led directly to basket, the shooter just needed to let the defender fly by.

To answer your questions I need video examples but generally speaking.

1.Yes
2. No if dribbble involved unless New Orleans keeper.if no dribble sometimes yes, but depends on situation to an extent
3. Assuming mean a clear dish but stepping back for a three can be an assist but many types that can go either way depending on the video
4. Definately yes
5. Deifinately no

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO

I know dribbling can occur on an assist. Never said it couldn't. But generally speaking in response to shadows example number 2 it cannot happen and be one. Again I am exactly correct on the issue and have been all along. You saying it is an assist when in a half court set Terry kicks to a a guy outside the three point line, and he pump fakes his man that was on him the whole time and drives in, dribbling three times and dunks, that it is an assist is completely laughable and ignorant.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Royalclown its OK to admit youre wrong sometimes bud.

I will gladly admit it anytime I am wrong. It just doesn't happen very often as if I post a strong opinion on something, especially something that is not a predicition, I will very rarely be wrong.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

I'm not gonna debate this cause I know it doesn't follow the "rulebook", but when I'm watching a game, in my mind the assist goes out the window when the recipient takes three (3) dribbles.

In every case, if the pass recipient hesitates for more than 1 second, I also mentally do not think of it as an assist....kind of has to be a continuation of the play (kind of like 'and 1' plays)

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

I'm not gonna debate this cause I know it doesn't follow the "rulebook", but when I'm watching a game, in my mind the assist goes out the window when the recipient takes three (3) dribbles.

In every case, if the pass recipient hesitates for more than 1 second, I also mentally do not think of it as an assist....kind of has to be a continuation of the play (kind of like 'and 1' plays)

The exception to your three dribble rule is when a guy gets a pass with his momentum already heading to the basket. Like say Billups gets a steal and Mello leaks out ahead of the pack and gets the ball around half court unevaded to the hoop. Still an assist for Chauncey.

i was speaking in terms of the shooter dribbling

and the passer getting an assist

as far as all that other yang,you guys fight it out12io4j2w90

No Royalfan is dead right and you look like a fucking idiot saying that. Trust me, I know exactly what an assist is. And obviously you do not. When you pass it to a guy outside the three point line and he does a shot fake, then dribbles in to the lane three times and dunks that is not an assist. The pass had nothing to do with leading directly to the bucket. You are a dumbass to think so. Wow. You can't make this shit up. If you are going to call someone out, then have a fucking clue please.

Shadow is correct that scorekeepers are inconsistent. Namely the NO one who has no clue as previously stated until idiots come in here and say he does. He gives out many assists nobody else does. He is obviously in the wrong. I am one of the few that truly knows what one is and what one is not. You show a video example, I will tell you if it is one or not.

Maybe you can find some nice props to exploit then ?

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

Maybe you can find some nice props to exploit then ?

A few times I have been able to try. But aside from a few times when Paul was lined on his own assist total, those plays usually involve points and assists or some item with the assists. So it is not usually blindly worth playing anything as the extra assist or two you may get due to his dumb ass in and of itself not likely to make up for the juice on the prop unless you like the over a little bit anyway.

Furthermore, that guy in New Orleans loves giving an assist to whoever throws it to West no matter what type of move he makes or how long after the pass it takes him to score. So you can find some value on Paul over on bets that involve assists.

royalfan

EOG Dedicated

i was speaking in terms of the shooter dribbling

and the passer getting an assist

as far as all that other yang,you guys fight it out12io4j2w90

Yeah ofcourse there can be an assist in certain situations even if the shooter dribbles.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

Yes to them all if your Lebon, Kobe or Michael Jordan, thus making Oscar Robertson's averaging triple doubles for a season incredible.