Did anyone else miss the famous Kirk Gibson HR in the WS against Oakland.

Timetopay

EOG Master
Re: Did anyone else miss the famous Kirk Gibson HR in the WS against Oakland.

8th grade pal and remember every second of the whole playoffs. Mets supposed to destroy LA. Oakland was the monster. Great kid memories

8th grade pal and remember every second of the whole playoffs. Mets supposed to destroy LA. Oakland was the monster. Great kid memories

Worst thing about it is that I had futures on 3 of the 4 playoff contenders. Didn't have the LAD and I didn't hedge.

Will put up the youtube video soon. Search option not working for me at youtube now.

Timetopay

EOG Master

Everyone did from what i remember hearing. Amazing I remember that cause my uncle has oak and mets big and LA fucked him up and that was my first taste of the game

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I actually moved to a different state a few days before that World Series started. I made a bet with a guy i knew who was a friend of a friend. He took Oakland and gave me 4-1 odds, i risked 10 bucks and he risked 40.

Anyway, after the series was over, i had to find a way to get paid (since i was thousands of miles away and wasn't coming back anytime soon) and i told him where to drop off the money.

Needless to say, he never did.

Some guy out there still owes me 40 bucks for this series!!

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Worst thing about it is that I had futures on 3 of the 4 playoff contenders. Didn't have the LAD and I didn't hedge.

i was in vegas in august. as a matter of fact i was at the stadust aug 8 to bett he cubs first night game - had them -1.5 and game went 4 innings and they were up 3-1 so no action

while there i put some money down on the dodgers to win it all

said it at the time - when gibson's ball landed in the stands and the dodgers won the game the 1988 WS was OVER! they only played the remaining games as a formality - the A's were DONE

just like when Elway did the helicopter spin in SB 32 - got up and let all know he was OK that game was OVER as well

fwiw - the gibson hr was voted the #1 ALL-TIME Greatest moment in LA Sports History........think about how many great moments there have been - than was #1 in a poll they did a handful of years ago

I did see it live. This is the first time I have seen this clip with Vin Scully's call. Most every shot of this has Jack Buck's voice. This is a great at bat, all caused by a walk.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xHFiYyatM7s&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xHFiYyatM7s&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Winky, never knew this was the top event ever in LA. I would have guessed Magic and his 44 points vs Philly in the NBA Finals, or maybe the USC-ND game from 1974. Anthony Davis had 5 TD's in 17 minutes, and USC scored 55 points in those 17 minutes.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/owwLrK7r9Mk&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/owwLrK7r9Mk&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

oakas

EOG Addicted

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I actually felt sick to my stomach when it went out of the ballpark.

I still can not stand watching it today.

railbird

EOG Master

I was at the game. I remember all of A.D's 2nd half TD's too.

I remember it like it was yesterday.

I actually felt sick to my stomach when it went out of the ballpark.

I still can not stand watching it today.

I 2nd that. I lost so much money on that game it still hurts today.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

I was in the Dominican Republic playing pool with my buddy and watching the game...when Gibson hit the HR, he broke his poolstick in half and threw it against the glass door and did some damage...he lost the bet and paid for the new door...

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Winky, never knew this was the top event ever in LA. I would have guessed Magic and his 44 points vs Philly in the NBA Finals, or maybe the USC-ND game from 1974. Anthony Davis had 5 TD's in 17 minutes, and USC scored 55 points in those 17 minutes.</EMBED>

how many people out there are old enough to remember "SelecTV"? (those who don't - before cable SelecTV was something in the 80s-ish where people paid something like $25 a month for the right to watch ONE CHANNEL of Movies and all - imagine HBO at the early stages and this is what it was like) that was my first real job out of college - i ran tapes for the network from 8P-6A Th-Sun nights. this game was played Saturday and i was there at work watching it.

The most amazing thing about Gibson's HR is this

NO ONR know where the ball is

NO ONE came forward and said they caught it - or rather ended up with it because i doubt anyone caught it on the fly and kept it

and some 20+ years later no one can because no one will believe it

as for that list - good job on the AD 1974 game - that was #3 and this is the entire list - i belonged to some group at the time and was able to cast a vote

my #1 moment didn't quite make the list:

http://www.lasports.org/lagreatest_moments/greatest.php

my #1 all-time moment happened Feb 24, 1983 when as an 18 y/o Frosh at Cal State Fullerton i was part of 5,005 people crammed into a 4,100 seat gym and saw my (eventual) alma mater beat the #1 and 24-0 UNLV Runing Rebels 86-78. i could live to be 1,000 years old and NOTHING will ever top this - and i was blessed to be at the 1992 Semi-final Ice Hockey game between Team USA/Team Russia at the Albertville France games - the first game between the 2 since the 1980 Miracle on Ice and as amazing as that game was it ranks a VERY distant 2nd to the Fullerton game

Timetopay

EOG Master

no winky you are wrong

most amazing thing is someone told Gibby that Eck throws the slider 3-2 and that is why he was read for the pitch. Problem was it wasnt true but it came anyway.

So your ball story is pretty lame

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Lived in Las Vegas during the run of the Rebels...Tark owned the town and scalpers had a field day at all the home games...

That game with Fullerton was a huge upset....baseball was Fullerton's sport...watched many of their games during the late seventies when I lived in Southern California...

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

no winky you are wrong

most amazing thing is someone told Gibby that Eck throws the slider 3-2 and that is why he was read for the pitch. Problem was it wasnt true but it came anyway.

So your ball story is pretty lame

fair point about the pitch. dodgers' advance scout Mel Didier told him this. and the story has it when the count went to 3-2 gibson realized it - and you watch him step out of the box when he realizes it. and rick dempsey also said that wen it went 3-2 EVERYONE on the bench was saying "back door slider, back door slider" - and you are right about it never happening before

as for the ball - not lame because IF that happened today the person who got the ball would have come forward because that ball would be worth 6-figures even in today's economy