Pac Man vs. Hatton = 2 million PPV

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/05/04/manny.money/

If those numbers are correct, that would be the second biggest PPV ever, with #1 being ODLH vs. Mayweather at 2.4 million.

Let's put that into perspective. That is more PPV than Lewis/Tyson, Hollyfield/Tyson, or anyone vs. Tyson.

It is nearly double the PPV for ODLH vs. Pac-Man.

Hmmmm. Ricky Hatton. I wonder what it is about him that makes him a bigger draw than Lennox Lewis, Mike Tyson, Sugar Ray Leanard, Marvin Haggler, Evander Hollyfield, Thomas Hearns, Julio Cesar Chavez, Roberto Duran, George Forman.

It must be those mad boxing skills he showcased so well last Saturday Night.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
Re: Pac Man vs. Hatton = 2 million PPV

He's a great guy they say. He's just like a regular guy and lives his life like it. Generous to all his fans, and tries to satisfy their needs if they are reasonable.

People think that MMA is ahead of boxing? This is just another reason why it's not. A great boxing match up will draw better than any MMA card. Hell any two MMA cards.

Question is, does Pac-Man vs. Floyd (if it happens) set the all-time mark? If it's pushed out there enough it will be.

He's a great guy they say. He's just like a regular guy and lives his life like it. Generous to all his fans, and tries to satisfy their needs if they are reasonable.

People think that MMA is ahead of boxing? This is just another reason why it's not. A great boxing match up will draw better than any MMA card. Hell any two MMA cards.

Question is, does Pac-Man vs. Floyd (if it happens) set the all-time mark? If it's pushed out there enough it will be.

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAO 1 fight every couple of years.

I also don't see why people feel compelled to compare MMA to boxing. They are two great sports. They are both combat sports, but very very different.

Boxing may be undergoing a revival and more than anything it probably has MMA to thank. We are finally seeing the best fight the best in boxing. Just a few years ago we may have never seen Pacquio vs. Hatton.

MMA is in its infancy, it's been a mainstream sport for about two years, compared to boxing which is over 100 years old. It has a lot of growing pains of its own, but it has firmly planted its foot with the next generation of sports fans, something boxing will continue to struggle with.

And don't kid yourself, MMA can put on PPV's every month, sometimes twice a month. Boxing has two or three big PPV's a year. In total, MMA has higher PPV #s than boxing does, and that's pretty remarkable considering how new the sport is.

If there is one thing Boxing can learn from MMA, it's how to market mid-level fighters and make them household names and put on better fight cards. The undercard of Pacquiao Hatton was embarrassing.

If you are a fan of both, or just a fan of boxing, here's a quick quizz. Name 25 current boxers off the top of your head. I bet there are less than 50 people that post at this site who can do that. Valdosta and GD for sure, who else.

There are probably 500 people that post at this site that can name 25 MMA fighters off the top of their head. I bet there are quite a few that easily name 50.

Hatton is the most popular fighter in the world. It helps sell.

And it has as much to do with the color of his skin as it does his boxing skills. Eric Morales deserves more props than Hatton. JMM too. And it has nothing to do with the fact he speaks english either. I need a fucking interpretor for Hatton as much as I do for Pacquiao.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I also don't see why people feel compelled to compare MMA to boxing. They are two great sports. They are both combat sports, but very very different.

Boxing may be undergoing a revival and more than anything it probably has MMA to thank. We are finally seeing the best fight the best in boxing. Just a few years ago we may have never seen Pacquio vs. Hatton.

MMA is in its infancy, it's been a mainstream sport for about two years, compared to boxing which is over 100 years old. It has a lot of growing pains of its own, but it has firmly planted its foot with the next generation of sports fans, something boxing will continue to struggle with.

And don't kid yourself, MMA can put on PPV's every month, sometimes twice a month. Boxing has two or three big PPV's a year. In total, MMA has higher PPV #s than boxing does, and that's pretty remarkable considering how new the sport is.

If there is one thing Boxing can learn from MMA, it's how to market mid-level fighters and make them household names and put on better fight cards. The undercard of Pacquiao Hatton was embarrassing.

If you are a fan of both, or just a fan of boxing, here's a quick quizz. Name 25 current boxers off the top of your head. I bet there are less than 50 people that post at this site who can do that. Valdosta and GD for sure, who else.

There are probably 500 people that post at this site that can name 25 MMA fighters off the top of their head. I bet there are quite a few that easily name 50.

Mayweather, Hatton, Pac-Man, Tarver, Dawson, Pavlik, Klitschko, JMM, Mosley, Hopkins, Kesler, Taylor, Vitali Klitschko, Winky, Calderon, Cotto, Roy Jones Jr., Forrest, Guzman, Montiel, Valero, Diaz, Antonio Marg, and Calzaghe. I think that was 25...

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

And it has as much to do with the color of his skin as it does his boxing skills. Eric Morales deserves more props than Hatton. JMM too. And it has nothing to do with the fact he speaks english either. I need a fucking interpretor for Hatton as much as I do for Pacquiao.

England loves him. He has a hole nation behind him, and the hooligans there are rowdy and no how to party.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Nope only 23, and I can't believe I forgot to put Calzaghe until the end....

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

whole>hole
know>no

Are you saying mexico doesn't back their fighters? Or the philipines? Or do you only notice the white ones.

No one backs their athletes like England. Nothing to do with the color of his skin over there, or in my eyes, it's just because England has always known how to back their athletes. They back them better than we do, and I think that's saying a lot. Go listen to the Hatton backers at the Mayweather fight. It was ungodly loud, and he was fighting an American boxer.

By the way, I normally type with proper grammar and spelling, but I just smoked so it's not priority number 1.

It's all about scheduling and marketing. They know everyone is dying for something on that night after the Kentucky Derby is over and everyone has shot their load on the ponies. Put this fight on at some other random Saturday of the year and I think no one would have cared much to see it.

Two things:

1) HBO greatly cut back their PPV schedule and this was the first of the year. That should help the buy rate, but that being said there was no African-American or Mexican fighting (two solid American fan bases) and neither fighter participating was American. It wouldn't surprise me if the fight did well worldwide as it cover Asia and Europe, but I'd be surprised if it did astounding in the United States or Latin America. Which brings me to point 2:

2) Boxing and MMA are apples and oranges. Boxing is a true worldwide sport with a long history and strong footholds in Latin America, Europe, and Asia. It is dwindling with periodic upticks in the United States. MMA is a sport in its infancy worldwide and has largely a domestic base of U.S. and Japan with pockets of developing interest in Latin America and Brazil.

Since the large majority of this board is xenophobic and can't see past the borders, sports like boxings, soccer, etc. are incorrectly thought to be largely irrelevant. Demographic-wise this forum is largely Caucasian American where the socio-economic centers of these sports is largely lower class Hispanic, Asian, and European.

In other words, this board is representative of American middle class, and largely young adult, and that is not at all indicative of sports and sports fanbases as a whole.

Timely Hitting's list of boxers further reinforces this point as it is largely a list of "media" boxers and omits several of the sport's top performers. (that is not meant as a slight to the poster, but merely as corroborating evidence indicative of the xenophobic views of the American public and what they are "taught" as opposed to what they "seek to learn").

Two things:

1) HBO greatly cut back their PPV schedule and this was the first of the year. That should help the buy rate, but that being said there was no African-American or Mexican fighting (two solid American fan bases) and neither fighter participating was American. It wouldn't surprise me if the fight did well worldwide as it cover Asia and Europe, but I'd be surprised if it did astounding in the United States or Latin America. Which brings me to point 2:

I will bet you a pint or 12 there were more US PPV's for this fight than there were ODLH/Pac Man. Which in my mind would be astounding.

Otherwise, another grand slam by the doberman.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Two things:

2) Boxing and MMA are apples and oranges. Boxing is a true worldwide sport with a long history and strong footholds in Latin America, Europe, and Asia. It is dwindling with periodic upticks in the United States. MMA is a sport in its infancy worldwide and has largely a domestic base of U.S. and Japan with pockets of developing interest in Latin America and Brazil.

Since the large majority of this board is xenophobic and can't see past the borders, sports like boxings, soccer, etc. are incorrectly thought to be largely irrelevant. Demographic-wise this forum is largely Caucasian American where the socio-economic centers of these sports is largely lower class Hispanic, Asian, and European.

In other words, this board is representative of American middle class, and largely young adult, and that is not at all indicative of sports and sports fanbases as a whole.

Timely Hitting's list of boxers further reinforces this point as it is largely a list of "media" boxers and omits several of the sport's top performers. (that is not meant as a slight to the poster, but merely as corroborating evidence indicative of the xenophobic views of the American public and what they are "taught" as opposed to what they "seek to learn").

I tried to bring up all the well known boxers and throw in some lesser knowns, but I do admit that I am influenced by the media's coverage of boxing. It's tough to "seek to learn" about boxing because it's a hidden sport in some ways. I can watch Friday Night Fights, and HBO matches, but in reality I won't be exposed to as much as I may be other sports because it's more hidden.

I could probably name 50 boxers, but it would take me a little bit to think some of them up. Still that truly is a minimal amount.

Quoted from Boxing Scene message boards:

I just spoke with my source for the PPV numbers. She informed me that the preliminary numbers for Hatton-Pacquiao are "DEFINITELY LOWER" than the buy rates for Oscar-Pac.

We discussed the 1.6 million to 2 million buys that Arum mentioned. Her response was "not even close. Is he talking about worldwide buys?"

She is in the process of rolling up the RBOC's and should have a pretty good estimate for me very soon - as early as this afternoon.

Further, she discussed Manny <NOBR id=itxt_nobr_3_0 style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 100%">Pacquiao's</NOBR> selling potential and said the industry is high on him based on the 400K sales for MP-JMM. That was a very good number for the "140 and lower" weight classes. The last time they saw numbers like that in the lower classes was PBF-Gatti (370).

GD: My point was that it did not stated if those were domestic or international numbers. Certainly the fight has a monstrous worldwide draw, however I can't see that it would have the domestic potential with the exception being the dearth of boxing PPV this year. Could it be possible that there was simply a wider international distributorship of the event which resulted in bigger estimates, thus a red herring of the fighter being the draw when in reality it was the marketing mechanisms?

It is still unclear to be if the estimates and the actual numbers that will be reported are broken down domestically and worldwide. That would help to shed some light on the situation.

BTW...I'll die laughing if the real number comes in at 1 million and CNN was quoting Arum.

TH,
Therein lies the problem. The media's coverage, or lack thereof, creates the endemic apathy. Older posters will remember fights on ABC, NBC, USA, ESPN, etc. Now the sports is largely hidden to Americans unless they search it out on their own. That is not the case in other countries, thus the xenophobic perhaps even racist attitudes. Were multiple champions born and bred Americans you better believe there would be a difference.

Currently, MMA gets exposure ad nauseum. Multiple PPVs, reality shows, Spike TV. Hell, it almost gets as much coverage as the World Series of Poker. That is entirely domestic and not the case everywhere.

It's a circle of redundancy. Media doesn't cover the sport, sport is not popular because of it, media thus doesn't cover it, et al.

Fortunately for us the world is becoming more global due to technology that will allow us access to what was unavailable before. The knowledge seekers have an even easier time finding what they want. As it is sports in general are highly cyclical and media-types, and their followers the public, are notoriously slow to adjust.

<TABLE class=tborder id=post2137329 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> 05-06-09, 01:08 AM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right> #19 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175>Lloyd Dobler<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2137329", true); </SCRIPT>
EOG Addicted

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2137329 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> Re: Pac Man vs. Hatton = 2 million PPV
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1>GD...have you ever seen an allocation between US vs. worldwide
</TD></TR><TR><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Can't say I have. Never really searched for it either.

I know that the PPV count on Motu Maile was 0, but the actual viewing audience was 13. Of course, 8 of them were passed out from the copious amounts of wine we had imbibed in and another two were busy playing handjob and ball licking with the High Chief. But then again, that's probably splitting hairs as far as Nielsen is concerned.

you don't know shit as usual

"Jones/Calzaghe and Pavlik/Hopkins were two of the most anticipated fights in the boxing world in 2008, but each only did around 215,000 buys a piece whereas UFC 82 (Henderson/Silva) did just past that number and was considered a bad night for UFC; that?s the signal about where the business fortunes of these two sports have gotten to in recent times."

"HBO?s only pay-per-view broadcast of the year so far will be Pacquiao/Hatton on May 2, an incredibly smart move from a network that apparently understands boxing?s position right now. Boxing is at the point where it can?t compete with MMA on pay-per-view and can?t draw at all on pay-per-view without its top draws. Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. fights being able to rack up 50-75,000 buys each time is a great start to a fighter who at 39-0 is just getting started with his career; remember his dad won 90 of his first 91 fights and the fruit doesn?t appear to have fallen far from the tree here."

"The problem?and main difference between the two?is that because of boxing?s exit and MMA?s entrance to cable and network T.V. has directly caused a shift in power within the fight game as MMA is producing the stars of tomorrow (Brock Lesnar, Frank Mir, Forrest Griffin, Rashad Evans, Nick Diaz, Gilbert Melendez, and so on) while boxing has been relying on the previous generation far beyond the point they should?ve been relied upon for big PPV numbers. And boxing is still doing so except now they?re only relying on one man and he?s a bit younger than most of the men boxing has put the future of their sport in over recent years."

http://insidefights.com/2009/04/13/let-the-debate-begin-mma-boxing-and-pay-per-view/
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Found this today on Fight news:

Boxing Buzz!

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=+1][/SIZE][/FONT]
According to pay-per-view industry sources, the May 2 Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton super-fight generated 800,000+ PPV buys. No official numbers have been announced. Pacman may return to action in October.

800k+ is not 2 million, still no official word.

nice to see more and more people realizing boxing just isn't that exciting
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="jsCall();" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

Arum was probably including the British buys as well or something who knows with him. When hatton fought mayweather the British buys were around the same as the US Buys.

Cee what the hell are you talking about? 800-850k is a very good PPV number for MMA or boxing.

Found this today on Fight news:

Boxing Buzz!

According to pay-per-view industry sources, the May 2 Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton super-fight generated 800,000+ PPV buys. No official numbers have been announced. Pacman may return to action in October.

800k+ is not 2 million, still no official word.

Those early projections were a bit off.

Cee, I completely disagree, and I prefer MMA to boxing. I think a great boxing match beats a great MMA fight anyday. They are just so few and far between. There are far more great televised MMA fights than boxing matches, that is part of boxing's problem. They put on weak undercards for big PPV's, and if the headliner sucks, usually the entire card sucks.

I for one thoroughly enjoyed Pacquiao destroying Hatton because I think Hatton is vastly overrated. Other's here disagree with that, but I doubt they would if Hatton fought Pacquio's last 15 fights...Hatton would be an afterthought.

roach23

Banned

I think people like MMA cause they like watching dudes get knocked the fuck out. You don't see knockouts like Manny's much anymore. Boxers just dance around in circles like fags half the time.

If 2 dudes are gonna throw punches I'll take a boxing match over MMA. But I'd take pretty much any MMA fight over a heavyweight boxing fight these days.

I think people like MMA cause they like watching dudes get knocked the fuck out. You don't see knockouts like Manny's much anymore. Boxers just dance around in circles like fags half the time.

If 2 dudes are gonna throw punches I'll take a boxing match over MMA. But I'd take pretty much any MMA fight over a heavyweight boxing fight these days.

That's it in a nutshell. Boxing snobs can rant all they want about the sweet science, but the casual contact sport fan basically just wants to see some asskicking.

And that's coming from a baseball snob who will argue till I die that baseball is 10x the sport basketball will ever be. I absolutely know I'm in the minority on that one.

I'm not going to let MMA off the hook either, there has been some real snoozers lately and in-ring faggery that just doesn't belong in any sport. Jamie Varner hugging it out with Cowboy Cerrone not once, but twice, after the bell rang to start the round, was as goofy as anything I've seen in sports, especially in a championship fight. One time Varner sent a hug signal over to Cerrone in between rounds..WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT?

Speaking of faggotry the Anderson Silva-Thales Leites fight was a fucking joke. Just a horrible,horrible, "fight".

Thor4140

EOG Dedicated

For the life of me i don't understand this either. Im a fan of both sports and couldn't careless who out draws the other. Guys seem to have pride in saying one out draws the other. It is like a pissing match or sum shit.:+clueless I will stay happy watching both sports. Nice stuff in this thread guys.

Speaking of faggotry the Anderson Silva-Thales Leites fight was a fucking joke. Just a horrible,horrible, "fight".

Yes...absolutely brutal. probably worst MMA card I've seen since UFC 61
when Sylvia and Arlovsky spent 25 minutes circling the cage and throwing love taps at one another.