The other scandal in baseball.(Long post)

I remember when the explosion of HR's caused the media to tout everything from smaller ball parks and expansion thinned pitching to better nutrition and advanced weight training. My favorite was the "juiced ball". I remember a news story where they went to the actual ball factory in Haiti and showed how they wound the string around the core tighter. At least they got the "juiced" part right.

We have also been treated to another amazing explosion in baseball over the last couple decades. The rise of the Latin American ball player, in particular those from the Dominican Republic. We have heard for years about the "natural" ability. The media has touted the investment made by MLB teams in training academies and scouting resources. Truly amazing.

As an F.B.I. investigation sheds light on the way things have been working, it seems some other factors have played a role in the promotion of talent from that corner of the globe.

First off, scouts, finders and even MLB team executives would skim money from the signing bonuses lavished on these kids. Secondly, many of the kids were not kids at all, having lied about their ages.

Here are some links to stories about the subject
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/02/sports/baseball/02bowden.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=2376

Although this is not breaking news, it has been put to the back pages by a new superstar steroid scandal monthly. Makes me believe MLB is leaking some of those test results to keep the spotlight somewhere else.

How many more kids from the U.S. would be signed if they could play their senior year in high school as a 22 year old?

Re: The other scandal in baseball.(Long post)

This is MLB's dirty little secret. The Washington Nat's GM was one of the ones skimming.

husker

EOG Addicted

smart GM's scout the players like they are older, and let them go before they are 30 because they start breaking down. buyer beware!

railbird

EOG Master

These Dominicans are so good they got their butt kicked by the NEtherlands.