5tps "POTENTIAL hall of famer" thread. Today's HOF candidate: ICHIRO SUZUKI

http://www.imwritingsports.com/baseball/ichiro-cooperstown-yeah-right/
Ichiro? Cooperstown? Yeah, Right?

June 23, 2008 ? Print this post ? Email this post

The other day I was listening to the radio when two sports writers who were on the panel began discussing the Seattle Mariners, and of course, Ichiro Suzuki?s name came up. How couldn?t it, this man is the face of the franchise, and, as everyone would love for you to believe, one of the greatest baseball players of the last decade, if not, all-time. After making the obligatory remarks about the Mariners struggles thus far, the talking heads started discussing Ichiro?s credentials, and both of them agreed that Ichiro should start carving his plaque, because he?s a, no-questions asked, first-ballot hall of famer.
I may be in the minority here, but forget first ballot, I?m not even sure this man belongs in the same halls as Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle, Ty Cobb, Stan Musial, Babe Ruth, Ted Williams, and all the other great hitters the game has seen, or, let alone, just off the property with Pete Rose. This is a guy that has never hit 35 doubles in season, or drove in 70 runs. He?s had an OBP over .400 once, and has never slugged above .457. In his defense, Ichiro is something of an unstoppable hits machine, but then again, how valuable are 200 singles when they come from a position where offense isn?t exactly at a premium? If he were doing what he does as a shortstop or a second baseman, he?d be fantastic, as a right fielder, not so much.
Ichiro isn?t a dangerous hitter. I mean, seriously, what?s the worst he could do? Hit a single? The guy isn?t going to beat you, you don?t get scared with the game on the line when Ichiro gets to the plate. With a runner on first, if he makes contact, it?s not like he?s really going to advance a runner more than a base. Due to lacking secondary hitting skills, which means the ability to take a walk or hit for power, he needs to hit .350 or higher to be effective. Some season?s he does that, in others he doesn?t.
His career OPS+ is just 118, which I?m aware doesn?t take steals or defensive efficiency into account, but we aren?t talking about Rickey Henderson here. Ichiro is trying to make up for his inefficiencies thus far by trying to swipe more bags, but he?s going to have to steal about 70 bases to really be a difference maker. In an attempt to put things into perspective, he?s only 43rd among active hitters in OPS+ , right between Mike Sweeney and Eric Chavez. Not very elite company if you ask me.
This year that figure is at 99. It?s not hard for anyone to see that Ichiro has lost a step, he?s only reaching base on 10 percent of his infield hits, where his career average was once 12.2. His defense is still at a premium level, but at this point, how valuable is he? He?s only reached base 118 times, with a mere 14 of those going for extra bases, and drove in 19 runs and scored 53 times. How much does that really help the Mariners? His .288 average isn?t very impressive either.
Right now, there?s a .218 hitter who has reached base 108 times with 26 extra base hits, 43 RBI, and has scored 38 times. His OPS is 126. Going by those figures it?d be hard to make a case for Ichiro against the .218 hitter. His name: Adam Dunn.
If Dunn isn?t more effective than Ichiro, there isn?t much of a gap between the two. Sure, they are cut from a different cloth, Dunn has the secondary skills, but lacks the ability to hit for average, and Ichiro is the complete opposite. The point is, they are both lacking in one area of another, but Dunn makes up for it by taking walks and helping his team win games with his bat. Ichiro?s skill set just puts others in a position to excel, he isn?t a difference maker. Now I wouldn?t ever suggest that Dunn is a Hall-of-Famer, but for some reason everyone is damn sure that Ichiro is one of the best players in the game despite gobs of evidence proving otherwise. If you want to get crazy, what really makes Ichiro?s bat that much better than Placido Polanco?s?
Simply put, Ichiro is a solid ballplayer that I?d classify as good. He?s can hardly be considered a stud, and he doesn?t deserve that MVP he?s toting around, let alone a plaque in Cooperstown. The fact that he has as many MVP awards as guys like Albert Pujols, Chipper Jones, and Ken Griffey Jr., drives me crazy, when he?s never, ever, for even a single season, been as effective as those guys. You could argue that John Olerud, Bret Boone, and Edgar Martinez were all more effective than Ichiro during the 2001 season and win, but that?s a different article.
I won?t argue the effect that this man has on the game. He deserves his global popularity. He hits for average and runs the bases extremely well, and his defense is outstanding. There?s no denying that he?s worth the attention he gets. However, through the prism of talent and on-field performance, he is not.
Cooperstown? He wouldn?t get my vote.

Last edited:

mofome

Banned
Re: 5tps "ON THE RADAR hall of famer" thread. Today's HOF candidate: ICHIRO SUZUKI

Re: 5tps "ON THE RADAR hall of famer" thread. Today's HOF candidate: ICHIRO SUZUKI

easy in.

DrunkHorseplayer

EOG Addicted
Re: 5tps "POTENTIAL hall of famer" thread. Today's HOF candidate: ICHIRO SUZUKI

.331 lifetime BA, behind only Tony Gwynn and Albert Pujols among players who played anywhere near the modern era. 200 hits seven years straight; automatic in.

Too many years in Japan. He needs to absolutely break the 2000 hit mark in MLB before you can anoint him a HOFer.

texansfan

EOG Master

If he retired from MLB today he would'nt get my vote to get in, assuming I had one to begin with. He needs to play more years imo.

10 year minimum required as per hall rules to be eligible.

THE HITMAN

EOG Dedicated

I'd have no objection. I love to watch him play. He's got it all and he plays with gusto. His ethnicity should help him get in, also.

5-18-09:

Suzuki's two infield singles extended his hitting streak to 12 games.

tripp

EOG Master

ichiro should absolutely be in.

i disagree that guys are scared of him. if there are 2 outs in the 9th inning of a 1 run game and there is a guy in scoring position ichiro is one of the last guys I would want to see up at the plate against me.

he could probably hit 25 hr's also. he would have to sacrifice the avg though and he realizes getting on base is more important. it's just how the game is played in japan. get on base, steal, move runners over, get big hits with RISP..

maybe some missed the classic this year but guys should be more scared of ichiro than they are becuase they chose to pitch to him and it cost them the game and the tournament.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

1st ballot not even a second thought.....

I love his approach to the game....it is obvious he has analyzed the game enough to know what works, what doesn't, and when power is needed and when keeping an inning going (get a hit) is a better option. That isn't even mentioning his defense....people are afraid of him defensively where they don't risk sending many runners when the relay is from right field

Probably the most fundamental player in baseball. Easy in.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

let me think...Ok im done thinking..

LOCK 1st Ballet... next thread.

shdw01

EOG Dedicated

anyone that doesn't think he is an easy 1st ballot needs to re-evaluate their knowledge of the game.

Degenerate2

EOG Enthusiast

I doubt he could hit 25. Ricky Henderson was able to do both. Either he can do it or he can't. I'll go with he can't. Still, a very good ballplayer. As for Japanese baseball, they do hit quite alot of homers over there as the majority of position players who come across the pacific have seen their power numbers drop quite a bit due to their smaller parks. Mr. Oh hit over 600. That being said, they are more sounder with fundamentals. No doubt about that.

5-20-09

Ichiro Suzuki extended his hitting streak to 13 games with a two-out double in the fourth, scoring Kenji Johjima from second as the Mariners once again took the lead.

Firehorn

EOG Dedicated

Not a big fan of Ichiro but he is awesome. Today went 4-5.............. 2 Doubles and a HR. Hitting now .354.. In now 43 games he has had a hit in all but 4 of them. I would hate to have to defend him, with him being a LH batter and he can just chop the ball on the ground towards ss and beat most of them out for the infield single.

Firehorn

EOG Dedicated

Too many years in Japan. He needs to absolutely break the 2000 hit mark in MLB before you can anoint him a HOFer.

He now has 1873 with June/July/Aug/Sep left. He could well get to 2000 or very near it this season, making him do it in only 9 years

Has Ichiro done enough to be Hall of Fame lock?

<!-- // Writer Attribution// --> by Jon Paul Morosi

Jon Paul Morosi is a national MLB writer for FOXSports.com. He previously covered baseball for the Detroit Free Press and Seattle Post-Intelligencer. He began his journalism career at the Bay City Times in his native Michigan.
Updated: August 23, 2009, 11:46 AM EDT

******** type=text/javascript> //document.getElementById('number_of_comments').innerHTML = commentCount+" Comments"; </SCRIPT><!-- // Story Content // -->********> if(fanid.length > 0 && typeof(nflDefaultLeague)!= "undefined") { leagueId = nflDefaultLeague; //find teamId of default league (if exists) for(var i=0; i < teamsInfo.length; i++){ if(teamsInfo[4] == leagueId){ defaultTeamId = teamsInfo[0]; } } var fantasyLeaguePlayerJsPath = 'http://msn.foxsports.com' + '/nugget/200002_' + leagueId + '|||' + fanid; } </SCRIPT>CLEVELAND - We've burned through too many words when it comes to Hall of Fame candidates in the Steroid Era. So, let's consider a different case.

Let's discuss someone as far from the performance-enhancement controversy as just about anyone in baseball. Let's talk about someone whose game involves singles instead of slugging, a player whose candidacy is both unprecedented and untainted.
What are we to do with Ichiro Suzuki?
Ichiro is on the verge of collecting his 200th hit this season, an annual Northwest event like Seafair, the Apple Cup and winter dampness.
This time, it carries special significance. Ichiro, at 183 hits entering Sunday, is about to reach the mark for a ninth straight year. That will be a record for consecutive 200-hit seasons. (Pete Rose, with 10 seasons, holds the overall record.)
Ichiro leads the majors in hits since debuting with the Mariners in 2001. Not even Albert Pujols is all that close.
Suzuki is 12 away from 2,000 for his career. He was the first Japanese position player, batting champion and Most Valuable Player in the U.S. major leagues.
He's also going to be the first Japanese player to receive serious consideration for the Hall of Fame.
And the decision shouldn't be that hard.
"To me," Ken Griffey Jr. said Friday, "he's a Hall of Famer now." Griffey can speak on that subject with some authority. The Kid will go to Cooperstown on the first ballot, five years after we see that smooth swing for the final time.

Players must participate in 10 major league seasons in order to be eligible for the Hall. Ichiro, 35, will satisfy that criterion next year. After that, it's going to become very difficult for observers to argue that he doesn't belong.
Suzuki already has the single-season hits record (262, set in 2004) and more than 3,000 hits between Japan and the U.S. And he has done it all while serving as the standard-bearer for Japanese position players in the big leagues, giving him the sort of historical claim that counts in Cooperstown.
If that's not a Hall of Fame resume, I'm not sure what is.
"I think fans tend to take him for granted," Mariners president Chuck Armstrong said. "And I think that's a shame, because I've never seen anything like him before and I doubt I'll see anything like him again. He's special."
"When I see him do something," Griffey said, "I feel like one of the fans."
The chief contention against Ichiro's inclusion would be, simply, that he hasn't played in the majors long enough. But Japanese players shouldn't be penalized for the posting system that governs many transfers to the U.S. major leagues.
A critic might also point out that Ichiro, who has hit more than 10 home runs only twice in his career, is somewhat one-dimensional. That is true. But I would argue that, in an era of omniscient video and detailed scouting reports, it's not easy to get base hits.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width=200 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD> </TD></TR><TR><TD class=caption>Has Ichiro done enough to be a slam dunk for the Hall? (Otto Greule Jr / Getty Images)</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
And Ichiro is not just a good singles hitter. He's the preeminent base-knock artist of his time.
"Ichiro could retire right now and be in the Hall of Fame," teammate Miguel Batista said. "People have to understand that the Hall of Fame is not just for the numbers. It's dominating the era you played in."
Ichiro could eliminate virtually all dissent about his Hall of Fame candidacy by sticking around long enough to register 3,000 hits. And he may do that. His current contract runs out after the 2012 season, and he will turn 39 that October.
He could have 2,600 hits by then ? maybe more ? even if he falls off the 225-per-year average from his first eight seasons. And given his body type and training regimen, it's quite possible that Ichiro won't want to stop there.
Masa Niwa, a Sankei Sports reporter who has covered Ichiro for much of his major league career, believes Suzuki will play until he is 43 or 44 years old. If that's the case, it would take a prolonged absence or precipitous decline in production for Ichiro to fall short of 3,000.
Ichiro might be the type of person who continues playing as long as he finds the game enjoyable. To that end, it's worth noting that he seems to be having more fun at the ballpark these days, certainly more than he did when the Mariners lost 101 games last year.
John McLaren, the former manager with whom Ichiro is close, was fired last June; after his dismissal, McLaren told reporters that there had been tension, friction and jealousy in the clubhouse. Then last September, a Seattle Times story quoted an anonymous source as saying a number of players on the team disliked Ichiro.
"You could see he was very uncomfortable," Batista said of Ichiro, when asked about the 2008 season. "This year, he's not. You see him laugh more. He jokes around with the guys. He actually goes to lunch and breakfast with some guys. That never happened, as long as I was here."
Griffey and fellow veteran Mike Sweeney are widely credited with putting Ichiro ? and the rest of the clubhouse ? at ease. Ichiro met Griffey in 1995 and has looked up to him for years; Niwa believes it is a dream come true for Suzuki to play on the same team as someone he respects so much.
Ichiro is known to keep a very rigid pregame schedule. Griffey is probably one of only a handful of players in baseball with the personality and cachet to disrupt it in a respectful way.
If anything, that has helped Suzuki's production. Despite spending part of April on the disabled list, he's in the midst of perhaps his finest season since '04.
"I get him loosened up," Griffey said. "I help him have fun. ... Everything is on time with him, and I try to break that up some of the time. Right when he starts to stretch, I grab him. Sometimes you need to laugh before you go out there." Soon, Suzuki will feel the relief that comes with Hit No. 200, that annual signpost of a season well-played. A new record will come with it this time, moving him a few miles closer to Cooperstown. Where he belongs.

9-22-09:

Seattle took a 3-1 lead on Suzuki's 11th home run of the season in the fifth. He moved into a tie with Hall of Famer Bill Mazeroski for 248th place all-time with 2,016 hits.

http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/mariners/story/902916.html#

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=775 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=info>Tacoma, WA -******** language=JAVASCRIPT>// <!-- HIDE SCRIPT // Returns correct year for any year after 1000function fixYear(d) { var y = d.getYear(); if (y < 1000) {y += 1900;} return y;} var days = new Array(7); days[0] = "Sunday"; days[1] = "Monday"; days[2] = "Tuesday"; days[3] = "Wednesday"; days[4] = "Thursday"; days[5] = "Friday"; days[6] = "Saturday"; var months = new Array(12); months[0] = "January"; months[1] = "February"; months[2] = "March"; months[3] = "April"; months[4] = "May"; months[5] = "June"; months[6] = "July"; months[7] = "August"; months[8] = "September"; months[9] = "October"; months[10] = "November"; months[11] = "December"; var dateObj = new Date(); var wday = days[dateObj.getDay()]; var lmonth = months[dateObj.getMonth()]; var date = dateObj.getDate(); var fyear = fixYear(dateObj); document.write (wday +", " + lmonth + " " + date + ", " + fyear);// END HIDING --></SCRIPT> Saturday, October 3, 2009 </TD><TD class=info align=right> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=uinfo2><!-- HEADLINE -->Ichiro keeps padding credentials for Hall
<!-- end HEADLINE --><!-- SUB HEADLINE -->mariners: He?s first in MLB history to get 220 hits in five seasons
<!-- end SUB HEADLINE --><!-- BYLINE -->LARRY LARUE; The News Tribune
Last updated: October 3rd, 2009 12:21 AM (PDT)
<!-- end BYLINE --><!-- STORY CONTENT -->Ichiro won?t win the batting title this season or score 100 runs, but he?s added another of those shake-your-head marks to his considerable r?sum?. When he led off the Seattle Mariners? first inning Thursday with an infield single, he went where no one in baseball history had gone before. The hit was his 220th, and he added No. 221 a little later.
No player in big-league history had ever had five seasons in which he had at least 220 hits until Ichiro did it with that single.
Two players ? Rogers Hornsby and Jesse Burkett, who made his run in the late 1890s ? had at least 220 hits in a year four times.
Seven others ? Bill Terry, Chuck Klein, George Sisler, Joe Medwick, Lloyd Waner, Stan Musial and Ty Cobb ? had done it in three different seasons.
Why publish such a long list of names? Each of those players is in the Hall of Fame.
Ichiro seems destined to join them in due time.

GM happy with coaches

General manager Jack Zduriencik hasn?t asked any of the M?s coaching staff back and will meet with all of them Monday, but their return seems a formality.
?I?m proud of the job all of them have done,? Zduriencik said Friday.
Bench coach Ty Van Burkleo, pitching coach Rick Adair, hitting coach Alan Cockrell, bullpen coach John Wetteland, third base coach Bruce Hines and first base coach Lee Tinsley will all be asked back.
So will manager Don Wakamatsu. Not a surprise, but a change ? the Mariners fired two managers last season.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>