Stephen's Wednesday Play

Stephen

EOG Addicted
Reds -$1.45 (Arroyo) hosting Astros (Paulino)

Analysis: The marketplace has pushed this game up, backing the Reds. At first I was leery of laying this price with Bronson Arroyo on the hill for Cincinnati.

But the marketplace has this right. This isn't too high of a price to fade the fading Astros and their horrendous, overmatched manager Cecil Cooper.

The surging Reds are just 1 1/2 games out of first place in the NL Central Division. They are playing their best ball and their confidence level is up, while the Astros have lost six in a row.

Wandy Rodriguez couldn't win here on Monday. Roy Oswalt couldn't win on Tuesday. So what makes anybody think Felipe Paulino can win tonight?

Cooper that's who. The idiot manager must not fully comprehend that Paulino is struggling big-time. Since returning to Houston's rotation, the youngster has allowed 11 earned runs in 9 1/3 innings in his last two starts. His ERA for this month is 13.14.

Pitching in this hitter-friendly park isn't going to help young Paulino's confidence either. The Astros' bullpen has been a disaster, particularly in middle relief. Closer Jose Valverde remains out.

The Astros catch one break in that Brandon Phillips isn't expected to start until the weekend. But the star second baseman is available to pinch-hit.

Another key to the handicap is Arroyo. Oddsmakers have trouble figuring him out. Is he good or bad? His ERA is 5.47, which indicates bad.

But a closer look reveals Arroyo to be good. After the All-Star break last season he went 8-4 with a 3.47 ERA.

This season he's had two disastrous performances. These came against Atlanta (nine runs in 5 2/3 innings) and Milwaukee (nine runs in one inning). However, in his other seven starts he is 6-1 with a 3.28 ERA.

The Reds are 13-4 when favored during Arroyo's last 17 home starts.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!
Re: Stephen's Wednesday Play

good luck

i NEVER Lay over -130 in MLB/NHL so not gonna start here - for me this is PASS or Reds -1.5

good luck though

Stephen

EOG Addicted

I agree with you Winky on laying big prices in baseball. You won't win in the long run doing it.

But sometimes you have to be flexible. Let's say you priced a game around -$2.20 yet the favorite only came around -$1.60. Wouldn't you play then?

I believe value is value whether it's on the favorite or 'dog. Most of the time it's on the 'dog, but there are times it's on the chalk.

munson15

I want winners...

Thanks and GL, Stephen. My fave price level is a bit more liberal. I'll go as high as -150 before I start considering the runline. Nice win last night, I already had Celveland and added a bit when I saw you selected them also.:cheers

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I agree with you Winky on laying big prices in baseball. You won't win in the long run doing it.

But sometimes you have to be flexible. Let's say you priced a game around -$2.20 yet the favorite only came around -$1.60. Wouldn't you play then?

I believe value is value whether it's on the favorite or 'dog. Most of the time it's on the 'dog, but there are times it's on the chalk.

NO! I'd play them -1.5 or even -2.5 and get that -220 down to something reasonable. depends on what -1.5 got me. i WILL NOT lay -1.5 unless i get "plus money" so if -1.5 is -105 i won't do it - i GOTTA get "plus money" when laying runs and if -1.5 doesn't get me "plus money" but -2.5 does than i lay -2.5