Mo- what's the deal on this O's rookie tonight?

Wade

EOG Master
Re: Mo- what's the deal on this O's rookie tonight?

I don't know but i'm taking him.

mofome

Banned

The Os have called up a few rookies this season with Berken and Bergesen, but none of those were anticipated nearly as much as this promotion of David Hernandez. In his last outing for AAA Norfolk, Hernandez struck out 14 and allowed just one hit in his first 7 innings of work. David works with a great slider and a fastball in the low 90s. Opponents have been quoted as saying that the ball just disappears at times when he throws it. He apparently hides the ball well and, therefore, it jumps on the batters a bit. The 24 year old has had great strike out numbers at every level and he is consider a top 100 prospect by Baseball America. He isn't one of the Orioles 3 elite pitching prospects, but he has a good bit of upside and its an exciting start for me and other Os fans.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/186379-another-major-league-debut-on-thursday#
by Randy Lerman

Sports
May 28, 2009

David Hernandez: Another Major League Debut on Thursday

With the current Orioles injury situation on their pitching staff, they needed someone to fill the slot of Koji Uehrara, who is out with a hamstring injury. The O's decided to dip down in to the minor leagues once again and promote David Hernandez from Triple-A Norfolk. Hernandez, 23, had a 3-1 record in Norfolk to go along with a 2.91 ERA.

Hernandez is known to be a strikeout pitcher, who struck out 14 batters his last start in the minors. This is the latest addition by a team that I previously stated has lots of pitching depth down in the minors. The fact of the matter is that these are not just journeyman pitchers, but pitchers who are young and demonstrating skills at the minor league level.

Overall, I now feel like maybe the Orioles can start making some noise in the crazy AL East division. As it stands before play starts today, the O's have a 21-26 record; only 5 games under the mark of .500. Nolan Reimold came through in a huge way for them yesterday hitting a walk off three run HR which propelled Baltimore to victory in extra innings. For a fan like myself, this youth movement is becoming exciting to watch, and it will only get better.

With Matt Wieters' debut looming, the Orioles will be fielding a rotation with three rookies (a rookie C, a rookie LF, and a second year CF). The future and even remainder of this season is looking bright for Baltimore. Finishing at .500 is entirely possible as this young team mixed with its share of veteran leadership learns to play together and mature.

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

Looks like the line has been on the rise most of the day after opening up with Det as a small fave. Passing on the action for tonight. Interested to see how this kid looks though with that kind of steam against the majority.

mofome

Banned

David Hernandez was drafted in the 16<sup>th</sup> round in 2005, out of Cosumnes River Community College in California. His pro debut in the New York-Penn League was successful: 3.89 ERA with a 47/17 K/BB in 42 innings, 41 hits allowed. I noticed him because of his strong K/IP ratio and put him in the 2006 book, rating him as a Grade C prospect but thinking of him as someone to watch, due to his 90+ fastball and a potentially good slider.
Promoted to the Sally League in 2006, Hernandez made 28 starts and went 7-8, 4.15 with a 154/71 K/BB in 145 innings, with 134 hits. The slider reportedly improved, and he maintained the strong strikeout rate at the higher level. His walks were high, but I remained intrigued with his potential, giving him another Grade C but noting that if he sharpened his command, he could take a big step forward in '07.
Moved up to the Carolina League in '07, Hernandez posted an unattractive 4.95 ERA and a lot of people stopped paying attention to him. However, if you look at it, he actually had a very good year in other respects: 168/47 K/BB in 145 innings, 139 hits allowed. His walk rate got much better; his strikeout rate improved; the hit rate was almost the same. He gave up three additional home runs, which wasn't enough really to account for the ERA increase. The ERA bump looked like a fluke to me. I kept him at Grade C in the '08 book, but put a big "SLEEPER ALERT" on his comment and wrote that he was a candidate for a surprise season.
In Double-A last year he lowered his ERA to 2.68, went 10-4, and posted a 166/71 K/BB in 141 innings, with 112 hits. The walks went back up again, but the dramatic reduction in his hit rate and fewer homers brought the ERA down. I gave him a Grade B- in the book this year. He's been excellent for Triple-A Norfolk this year: 3-1, 2.91 with a 60/13 K/BB in 43 innings, 33 hits allowed. He keeps getting better; the K/IP is outstanding, the hits remain low, and he's brought the walks down again.
Scouts have never warmed up to Hernandez as much as you might think. He has good stuff: 90-94 MPH fastball, and a hard slider. The slider is a plus pitch when it's working right. His changeup is mediocre, but he racks up the Ks like mad when the fastball and slider are on. His delivery is deceptive, which adds to the package. But scouts aren't wild about his physical build (listed at 6-2, 180 when he signed but currently at 6-3, 215) and the so-so changeup makes many of them think he should be a reliever, not a starter. On the other hand, he's been extremely durable to this point in his career. I also think there has been some scoutgroupthink going on in regards to Hernandez.
I think the Orioles have handled him well, moving him up one level at a time and letting him build innings and experience. Given his Triple-A performance (including a 14-strikeout game in his last start on May 22<sup>nd</sup>), I don't think he has a lot left to learn in the minors, and at age 24 this is the ideal time for a trial. I can see him developing into a solid three/four starter if the changeup can improve a bit more, or into an excellent short reliever if it doesn't.
Although Brian Matusz, Chris Tillman, and Jake Arrieta are better prospects in the big picture, Hernandez is certainly very interesting and has become a personal favorite. Prediction for his first major league start tonight against the Tigers: 5.2 innings, six hits, three runs, one homer, three walks, four strikeouts, no-decision.

mofome

Banned

he looks good so far, but a little wild. as we expected