24 years on - The man who saved millions of lives

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="425"><tbody><tr><td class="headline">24 years on - The man who saved millions of lives</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="subHeading">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td class="black"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="100%"> <tbody><tr> <td colspan="2" bgcolor="#d6e0ed" height="3"> </td> </tr> <tr> <td class="admNotesDark" width="212">
</td> <td class="admNotesDark" align="right" width="213">Sat, 22 September 2007 </td> </tr> <tr> <td colspan="2" class="dottedLine" height="3"> </td> </tr> </tbody></table></td> </tr> <tr> <td class="black">The date is 1 September 1983 and the Cold War between the Soviet Union and USA is in full gear, when from the New York skies Korean Air Lines Flight 007 flies from JFK, destination Seoul, South Korea.

In the middle of the flight, while accidently passing through Soviet air space, Soviet fighter jets appear getting close the aircraft. The Soviets, who didn't know the plane contained civilians, warned the pilot that they will shoot down the aircraft if it doesn't identify itself, and the pilot, for some unknown reason, doesn't respond.

Reports say the pilot never actually received the information, although theories about this are still unclear. An hour passes as the fighter jets still accompany the aircraft, and the orders from Soviet military is to shoot down the aircraft just as the plane was leaving Soviet airspace.

The Soviet fighter jets shot down the plane, with the aircraft plunging 35,000 feet in less than 90 seconds, killing 269 civilians, including a US congressman.

Hell broke loose. As the Soviets tried to defend their 'mistake', US President Ronald Raegan described the Soviets actions as "barbaric" and "a crime against humanity that must never be forgotten".

The tension between the two mega-powers hit an all-time high, and on 15 September 1983 the US administration banned Soviet aircrafts from operating in US airspace. With the political climate in dangerous territory, both US and Soviet government were on high-alert believing an attack was imminent.

It was a cold night at the Serpukhov-15 bunker in Moscow on 26 September 1983 as Strategic Rocket Forces lieutenant colonel Stanislav Yevgrafovich Petrov resumed his duty, monitoring the skies of the Soviet Union, after taking a shift of someone else who couldn't go to work.

Just past midnight, Petrov received a computer report he'd dreaded all his military career to see, the computer captured a nuclear military missile being launched from the US, destination Moscow.

In the event of such an attack, the Soviet Union?s strategy protocol was to to launch an immediate all-out nuclear weapons counterattack against the United States with nuclear power, and immediately afterwards inform top political and military figures. From there, it would be taken a decision to further the military offensive on America.

The bunker was in full-alarm, with red lights all over the place as the missile was captured by the Soviet satellites via computers. Petrov wasn't convinced though. He believed that if the US attacked, they would have attacked all-out, not just sending one missile and giving a chance for them (the Soviets) to attack back.

Petrov figured something didn't make sense, as strategically, just one missile from the US would be a strategic disaster. He took some time to think and decided not to give the order a nuclear attack against America, since in his opinion, one missile didn't make sense strategically and it could easily have been a computer error.

But then, seconds later, the situation turned extremely serious. A second missile was spotted by the satellite. The pressure by the officers in the bunker to commence responsive actions against America started growing. A third missile was spotted, followed by a fourth. A couple of seconds later, a fifth one was spotted... everyone in the bunker was agitated as the USSR was under missile attack.

He had two options. Go with his instinct and dismiss the missiles as computer errors, breaking military protocol in the process or take responsive action and commence full-blown nuclear actions against America, potentially killing millions.

He decided it was a computer error, knowing deep down that if he was wrong, missiles would be raining down in Moscow in minutes.

Seconds turned to minutes, and as time passed it was clear Petrov was right, it was a computer error after all. Stanislav Petrov had prevented a worldwide nuclear war, a doomsday scenario that would have annihilated entire cities. He was a hero. Those around him congratulated him for his superb judgment.

Upon further investigation it resulted that the error came from a very rare sunlight alignment, which the computer read as missile.

Of course, top brass in the Kremlin didn't find it so heroic, as he broke military protocol and if he would have been wrong, risked millions of Russian lives. He was sent into early retirement, with a measly $200 a month pension, suffering a nervous breakdown in the process.

Due to military secrecy, nobody knew Petrov's heroic judgment until 1998, when a book written by a Russian officer present at the bunker revealed that World War 3 was closer than people thought, and a nuclear holocaust was avoided by a close shave.

Even though the Russian have little sympathy to the man who saved millions of American lives, the United Nations and a number of US agencies honoured the man who could have started a nuclear war, but didn't.

In 2008, a documentary film entitled 'The Man who saved the World' is set to be released, perhaps giving Petrov some financial help, thanking him for the incredible part he had in keeping the US and the USSR out of a full-blown war.

Without knowing on the cold Moscow night back in 1983, a badly paid 44 year old military officer saved the world, and made himself one of the most influential persons of the century in the process, saving more lives than anyone ever did.

Most of today's people don't know it, but today's world as we know it, is like it is because of Stanislav Petrov.

maltaStar.com

</td></tr></tbody></table>

G. K. TEMUJIN

EOG Veteran
Re: 24 years on - The man who saved millions of lives

Great story too bad most people could care less American Idol will soon be on.

soviet union denied the story, so there is still some doubt over whether or not he really had his "finger on the button".

On the same day Petrov was honored at the United Nations in New York City, the Permanent Mission of the Russian Federation to the United Nations issued a press release contending that a single individual would be incapable of starting or preventing a nuclear war, stating in part: "Under no circumstances a decision to use nuclear weapons could be made or even considered in the Soviet Union (Russia) or in the United States on the basis of data from a single source or a system. For this to happen, a confirmation is necessary from several systems: ground-based radars, early warning satellites, intelligence reports, etc."<SUP class=reference id=_ref-Russian_Federation_0>[11]</SUP>

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

This was real, I saw it, it was called 'War Games!!!!!!!!!!:dancefool :dancefool :dancefool

Great story too bad most people could care less American Idol will soon be on.

its will be on soon pal

glad youre so astute to know what us americans do with our time from your far off land

assumed euro intellectual elitism :finger004

G. K. TEMUJIN

EOG Veteran

its will be on soon pal

glad youre so astute to know what us americans do with our time from your far off land

assumed euro intellectual elitism :finger004

First boy never assume anything because you make an ass out yourself for all to see.

Respect your elders & betters. Which I have you on both accounts big mouth youngster.

ROMANOSKI FROM READING THE CRAP YOU POST , THE WORM I JUST STEPPED ON , HAS MORE BRAINS THAN YOU EVER HAD.

In other words that you may understand childish crackpot.

{ My most humble apologies to the crackpots out there he gives you all a bad name .}

It does not take much of a thought to be an INTELLECTUAL HEAVYWEIGHT IN COMPARISON TO MENTAL MIDGET LIKE YOU !!!!

I see America is in a tragic state if you are consider among the best & brightest.

I am actually surprised that you some times can come up with a semi-coherent thought now & then.

Good thing you are cowering behind keyboard or that finger would be some place that you would not like child.

Actually you probably would enjoy where it would be placed.

I am constant & frequent visitor to the States .Have been for over forty years ignorant one .As an outside observer I have seen the once mighty industrial power of America decline into a third world nation. The writing is on the wall. All I am doing is warning my many American friends & family to wake up to problems on the horizon.

GO WATCH AMERICAN IDOL YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING.

IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO BE AN ELITE COMPARED TO YOU.

Your reading comprehension skills , like your threads are a joke.

So go sit in the corner with your dunce cap on. Everyone is waiting for you to come with your usual nonsense reply. The farce contributer known as Romanoski please continue to enlighten us all with you dim wit brilliance and astute analysis of the issues confronting the world .

We all need a hearty laugh !!!!

The following is in pictures so babies such as Romanoski may understand.

Watch out ROME IS ON TO YOU !!!!
:newsmile015: :magnificent: :+signs1-1 :med3d-bravo: :+bouncing :+signss13- :trio :+signs1$5 :magnificent: :+signs9-1 :party :+textinb3 :p :LMAO :+waving-5 :houra :dancefool

lol you should change your poster name to delusional if you think Ill read that or put in the time to make such a long winded diatribe like yours

im quite happy disagreeing with your politics and my 155 IQ

gl on your wagers son

G. K. TEMUJIN

EOG Veteran

Hey Romanoski who do you think you are fooling ???

You have perused my above posting at least six times just to try & understand all the big words. The twelfth time you read it you had your dictionary in hand to help you comprehend the hard vocabulary text.

It does not take much to produce a long winded diatribe like that. Just two things you lack junior. First a functioning cerebral cortex .Two an original thought. Add 30 seconds to type it all out.... then your done. I know it takes you twenty two minutes to come up with a coherent sentence with a genuine idea. You would be here all day waiting to think up a reasonable comeback line. Yes your wit is not up to the challenge. Up against the wrong old man this time boy. It seems your infantile imbecile intellect has turned tail in face of a superior poster.

If you have an Intelligent Quotient of 155 they must be grading you on a bell curve because honestly my friend your IQ is somewhat lower. Your postings bare that out. I reasonably guess on a good day 22-39. Depending on your mood. The hard evidence is all on my side. America truly is in sad state of affairs if you are what pass for a near genius.

You can disagree with my politics & opinions all you want youngster. America is a free country with good lively discussion. But you can never debate me because the real facts always support my reasonable positions.

I wait with baited breath for the next expression of thoughts from America's foremost feeble mastermind & nonsensical word smith ROMANOSKI.

Besides all my wagers are winners.... but sometimes I forget to tell the players.

That probably went over your head Romanoski.

Here is some sage advice for you watch out ROME is watching you.

You third rate space cadet.

Here is a gift for you.

NFL picks

STL + 13 1/2
GB over 38
BALT - 4

ironmike67

EOG Senior Member

First boy never assume anything because you make an ass out yourself for all to see.

Respect your elders & betters. Which I have you on both accounts big mouth youngster.

ROMANOSKI FROM READING THE CRAP YOU POST , THE WORM I JUST STEPPED ON , HAS MORE BRAINS THAN YOU EVER HAD.

In other words that you may understand childish crackpot.

{ My most humble apologies to the crackpots out there he gives you all a bad name .}

It does not take much of a thought to be an INTELLECTUAL HEAVYWEIGHT IN COMPARISON TO MENTAL MIDGET LIKE YOU !!!!

I see America is in a tragic state if you are consider among the best & brightest.

I am actually surprised that you some times can come up with a semi-coherent thought now & then.

Good thing you are cowering behind keyboard or that finger would be some place that you would not like child.

Actually you probably would enjoy where it would be placed.

I am constant & frequent visitor to the States .Have been for over forty years ignorant one .As an outside observer I have seen the once mighty industrial power of America decline into a third world nation. The writing is on the wall. All I am doing is warning my many American friends & family to wake up to problems on the horizon.

GO WATCH AMERICAN IDOL YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING.

IT DOES NOT TAKE MUCH TO BE AN ELITE COMPARED TO YOU.

Your reading comprehension skills , like your threads are a joke.

So go sit in the corner with your dunce cap on. Everyone is waiting for you to come with your usual nonsense reply. The farce contributer known as Romanoski please continue to enlighten us all with you dim wit brilliance and astute analysis of the issues confronting the world .

We all need a hearty laugh !!!!

The following is in pictures so babies such as Romanoski may understand.

Watch out ROME IS ON TO YOU !!!!
:newsmile015: :magnificent: :+signs1-1 :med3d-bravo: :+bouncing :+signss13- :trio :+signs1$5 :magnificent: :+signs9-1 :party :+textinb3 :p :LMAO :+waving-5 :houra :dancefool

IS THAT THE SAME ROMEY THAT INSULTS RAILBIRD?