Is there any logic to having to throw to 1st on a K if the ball gets away from the catcher?

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran
I never understood why you have to throw the ball to first to when a pitcher strikes out a hitter and the ball gets away from the catcher.

A strikeout should be a strikeout right?

That rule never made any sense to me.

PassTheRock

EOG Master
Re: Is there any logic to having to throw to 1st on a K if the ball gets away from the catcher?

I never got it either.

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere
Re: Is there any logic to having to throw to 1st on a K if the ball gets away from the catcher?

Yeah I've never understood it either...only a rule for 2 outs I believe so it is possible to have 4ks in one inning if the 3rd one gets away and the hitter reaches. Makes no sense to have to get 4 outs if that happens.

PassTheRock

EOG Master

This seems to be the official rule. But it is still a weird rule.

If the batter strikes out on the last strike and the catcher drops the ball and first base is not occupied by a runner, the batter may attempt to run to first base. They will be out if tagged by the ball or thrown out at first.

Apple

Banned

I've always wondered this myself.. Glad you mentioned it, maybe someone can give reasoning as to why its needed..

mofome

Banned

Maybe the dumbest rule in any sport. You make such a joke of the guy that he is rewarded.

:+clueless

BIGDADDY36

EOG Member

yup, very dumb rule along with:

-bunting foul with 2 strikes is called a strikeout?? why?? it is a foul ball

-a foul tip caught by the catcher is only an out with 2 strikes?? why?? if it is hit off a bat and caught shouldn't it be an out??

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

The poster above also makes a good point.

The pitcher still gets credit for a K even though the runner goes to first.

I saw a trivia question on time that said Tom Browning of the Reds got 4 strikeouts in one inning.

Just a really dumb rule.

Maybe the logic is that every out has to end with the ball in someones glove.

Think out it.

Every single out happens when the ball lands in someones glove.

If this rule was not in place this would be the only way to get an out without the ball being in someones glove.

Even if this is the reason for the rule, its still a dumb rule

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

yup, very dumb rule along with:

-bunting foul with 2 strikes is called a strikeout?? why?? it is a foul ball

-a foul tip caught by the catcher is only an out with 2 strikes?? why?? if it is hit off a bat and caught shouldn't it be an out??

I know the reasoning behind a bunt foul after strike 2 being an out.

If that rule was not in place a hitter would constantly try to get down the perfect bunt down the 1st or 3rd baseline over and over again because the best bunts are down the line.

Another reason for the rule is because when you are bunting you almost always make contact with the ball. A good bunter could foul bunt after bunt after bunt till he gets the perfect pitch to
bunt.

And if a team really wanted to make an ass of themselves, a really good bunter could foul off dozens of pitches to raise the ACE pitchers pitch count forcing the other team to go to the bullpen early

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

Yeah it would seem like one of the things you would randomly say late night while drinking with some buds.