Online Gambling: Ask The Shrink

shdw01

EOG Dedicated
Re: Online Gambling: Ask The Shrink

Misery is optional for me personally. I can choose to stay in that crappy and angry mood or I can choose to start my day over at any time...

Sometimes, I will do something nice for someone else, even though I don't feel like it...

This often helps me get out of myself and in a better frame of mind...

THE SHRINK

good idea....doing nice to others....

:cheers

GREAT QUESTION!!!!

I believe that has a lot to do with your personality and how you handicap...

For some people, especially the addictive type, I believe it is best to stick with the same amount on all games and the reason should be obvious...

Gamblers who play for "action" and "thrill" are more prone to become addicted and chase. If you fit this description, then you know from personal experience you can lose your entire bankroll because of poor money management and discipline...

On the other hand, if you are a very serious bettor, and perhaps you are almost a Professional at it, then by all means you SHOULD vary your bets anywhere from 1 to maybe 3 units...

Almost every Pro gambler that speaks to me varies their wagers depending on how much the better of it they believe they will have compared to the closing line...

For example, if The Patriots are favored by 3 over the Jets , and I have the game handicapped to fall 6, then this would fall into a 3 unit bet...

Also, if I know the pointspread is going to move favorably due to contacts I have, then that also qualifies as a larger bet...

I am assuming all pros are seasoned vets at bankroll management and discipline. And that's the only group I believe I'd recommend such variance to..

THE SHRINK

Thanks Shrink12io4j2w90,

For me equal bets are the key to my money management. If I really feel strongly about a game then I will bet it for 2 units, but that only happens 3 or 4 times a season.

Majman

EOG Enthusiast

Shrink,

From your experience around larger online gamblers, specifically online gambling winners, how do they handle taxes? Do they typically meticulously follow all of the reporting guidelines?

With the reporting standards for poker, it is almost impossible to not file as a professional gambler and not pay 80% of your net winnings to the IRS. This is because you are taxed on each individual winning session and can't write off all of your losses. Russell Fox has a site devoted to this and his advice is quite grim for the winners in terms of how much you lose. Any info you have on how winners that you know handle this would be helpful. Have you heard of any audits and results?

Dear Mr. Shrink,

I have often thought about how many times I have lost late night Drunk and High. How would you suggest coping with this problem. In the old days it was call the bookie and final bets in at 7pm or 9pm on MNF. These days the best I do is cap all the late games everyday before the first heroin.

Maybe skip the heroin ?

Blondie

EOG Master

Misery is optional for me personally. I can choose to stay in that crappy and angry mood or I can choose to start my day over at any time...

Sometimes, I will do something nice for someone else, even though I don't feel like it...

This often helps me get out of myself and in a better frame of mind...

THE SHRINK

Great answer! :cheers

Shrink,

From your experience around larger online gamblers, specifically online gambling winners, how do they handle taxes? Do they typically meticulously follow all of the reporting guidelines?

With the reporting standards for poker, it is almost impossible to not file as a professional gambler and not pay 80% of your net winnings to the IRS. This is because you are taxed on each individual winning session and can't write off all of your losses. Russell Fox has a site devoted to this and his advice is quite grim for the winners in terms of how much you lose. Any info you have on how winners that you know handle this would be helpful. Have you heard of any audits and results?

Personally, I have had to declare my gambling winnings each year for the past decade. I was informed from my both my attorney and accountant to be as diligent, thorough, complete and honest as possible.

It has also been alleged that the largely unsupervised electronic funds transfers inherent in online gambling are being exploited by criminal interests to launder large amounts of money.

Therefore, I do not want to spend time behind bars because of greed. I strongly recommend those who make a significant income to declare and report your annual gambling profits.

This may not be the answer you were looking for, but I can go to sleep at night without fear of ramifications from the IRS.

As for audits, I have been through three. Imagine that!

However, I have been fortunate enough to survive all of them and with flying colors, I might add..

THE SHRINK

Dr. Shrink,
For any one the books you use, what's the maximum amount of $$$ you feel comfortable having in any one book?

RR

Teddy kgb

Banned

Dr. Shrink,
Is there advantages is using plastic money IE. credit cards when trying to build your bankroll or do you suggest starting with the amount you really have on hand regardless how small?

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

25% of my bankroll...
I can't believe you would post-up with any book except maybe small money just because their lines were really bad. That being said, why would you have up to 25% of your bankroll with any book? Mark me confused.:+clueless:+clueless:+clueless:+clueless

Dr. Shrink,

Is there advantages is using plastic money IE. credit cards when trying to build your bankroll or do you suggest starting with the amount you really have on hand regardless how small?

Credit Cards lead to debt. Debt can lead to big trouble. I strongly suugest using the amount you have on hand regardless of how small it is for the recreational gambler...

Dr. Shrink,

Teddy I hope you you are joking here12io4j2w90.

Never bet with money from CC's2348ji23e

I can't believe you would post-up with any book except maybe small money just because their lines were really bad. That being said, why would you have up to 25% of your bankroll with any book? Mark me confused.:+clueless:+clueless:+clueless:+clueless

ZZ CREAM,

The majority of posters aren't fortunate enough to qualify for online credit. Given the current climate within our industry, it may be more difficult to obtain an offshore credit account than a Platinum American Express Card.

I was replying to the recreational gambler who has no choice but to post up or play locally. If I were to post up, I would divide my bankroll between 4 sports books, rather than 1, to minimize risk.

For example, if my bankroll was 1k for this upcoming Football Season, I would feel quite comfortable sending 250 dollars a piece to Pinnacle, Bet Phoenix, Bet Jamaica, and Matchbook.

THE SHRINK

ZZ CREAM

EOG Master

ZZ CREAM,

The majority of posters aren't fortunate enough to qualify for online credit. Given the current climate within our industry, it may be more difficult to obtain an offshore credit account than a Platinum American Express Card.

I was replying to the recreational gambler who has no choice but to post up or play locally. If I were to post up, I would divide my bankroll between 4 sports books, rather than 1, to minimize risk.

For example, if my bankroll was 1k for this upcoming Football Season, I would feel quite comfortable sending 250 dollars a piece to Pinnacle, Bet Phoenix, Bet Jamaica, and Matchbook.

THE SHRINK
Okay, mark me confused.....................and STUPID. Sorry Shrink. I understand now.

P.S. Shut up Tiny, I hear you smirking all the way up here.

Blondie

EOG Master

Forget to give credit again here Shrink?

Which articles do you REALLY write?

:+clueless

Shrink does write many of the lead stories and the industry news on the front page. When I am placing them up on there, I had slacked off on not running them through a checker as a reminder to quote the source.

He has apologized for his actions and we are implementing steps to prevent this from happening to any of our writers in the future. :cheers

Shrink does write many of the lead stories and the industry news on the front page. When I am placing them up on there, I had slacked off on not running them through a checker as a reminder to quote the source.

He has apologized for his actions and we are implementing steps to prevent this from happening to any of our writers in the future. :cheers

blondie- lay down on this one.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

He even changes the article to appear as if he writes them. I just read the real thread on 2+2. Sad.

Nice to see Ken doing more writing, we can all learn a thing or two. Hope it's a regular feature.

Why wasn't something said here? Lots of replies after this post.

roach23

Banned

:LMAO

Dear Shrink...

Dismissing the ever-popular alchohol and drugs angle.

Have you made more money through the "business of gambling" than you ever made actually gambling on your own? Your website success is documented. The wealth there has given you tremendous credibility among the posters as well as the means to wheel and deal..

Other than in a few examples, is the money in sports gambling made more by the ancillary businesses (tout, bookie, web owner, seminar salesman, radio host, author, systems peddler, or whatever) without all the headaches of actual daily gambling?

What advice do you have for every 21-yr-old with $200 and a tattoo and a 20% bonus dream about his chances with Internet gambling?

J

joeybagadonuts

My bank doesn't ask about my wire transfers.

However, if they did I would tell them I am purchasing South American pottery as I used to tell the nosey Western Union customer service reps.

Classic. :LMAO

I would tell them my poor uncle was being kidnapped and I needed to send the funds. That got me booted real quick.

WU = dog shit

J

joeybagadonuts

Dear Shrink...

Have you made more money through the "business of gambling" than you ever made actually gambling on your own? Your website success is documented. The wealth there has given you tremendous credibility among the posters as well as the means to wheel and deal..

Other than in a few examples, is the money in sports gambling made more by the ancillary businesses (tout, bookie, web owner, seminar salesman, radio host, author, systems peddler, or whatever) without all the headaches of actual daily gambling?

What advice do you have for every 21-yr-old with $200 and a tattoo and a 20% bonus dream about his chances with Internet gambling?

Good questions, Jeffy.

No way in hell Mr Shrink answers them honestly.

ATX

Dear Shrink...

treat betting on sports as most other types of investment oppurtunities.

do not bet more than 2% of bankroll on anything, starting out especially.

1. bad bad habit to get into. what you start out betting is what you are going to become accustomed to. you have no idea what your hold percentage is or if you have any type of advantage until about 2-3 years into it.

2. the longer you are part of the sports market the better you become, don't put yourself out of the game by taking chances.

3. bonuses are bad. reduced vig is far more valuable. a LOT of books that have offered bonuses have stiffed a large number of players because their overhead is too much, the book fails.

4. start out flat betting. maybe a few bets that are 1.5 or 2x. track everything. set goals. at first, dedicate the time to beating 52.38%. even at -107 dedicate the time to beating 52.38% (things change). force yourself to look at totals.

5. goals are everything. separate realistic expectations from fantasy and greed. Is consistent 20% ROI per year realistic? YES. Is one million dollars starting with 500 in less than a year? NO! 20% a year over x amount of years is good money. As your bankroll grows your bet size should as well. I recommend keeping the bet size the same for a good while to begin. Generally, I increase bet size as my bankroll grows. For every 10% my BR grows I reconfigure bet size (BR of 100% +10% = new BR of 110%-->>100%, avg bet goes up by about 10% after the plateau is reached). There are more complicated systems out there that incorporate Kelly and partial Kelly...ignore them. They are not designed for the sports market and without a sample size you do not know what your advantage is anyways.

6. Develop subsets. what is your ROI on football, college and pro? on totals on both? on 2nd halves on both on both? on first quarters on both on both? on specific teams? (most people suck on their favorite teams). same for basketball. baseball will teach you a lot about the numbers, teach you more about the market aspect of this than the other sports IMO. do baseball work. Develop angles. everyone knows that Unranked NCAA basketball teams that are Favored over Ranked teams do well, but there are more out there. Always ask why? There is underlying logic to some of the lines that is outside of statistical significance.

It's very difficult to do things successfully outside of the guidelines IMO.

ATX

it's not about how much you have as a starting bankroll, it's about where you end up and minimizing risk of ruin along the way. If you have $200 it may not be time to deposit if you have to bet $10 minimums. Risk of Ruin is too great and transfer fees eat up small amounts.

Also most investment strategies allow for adding amounts each paycheck or week or month or whatever and the sports market should be no different. Focus on investing $50/100/500 a month, whatever you can save (outside of any bills, entertainment, life savings etc) just like most other markets. It gets tricky increasing bet sizes when you are adding to BR. Your balance may be going up because you are adding by investing instead of beating -110. Always think long term and it's not a good idea to have more than 25% of your BR exposed IMO. At certain amounts your BR should be in an interest bearing commodity NOT in an offshore book.

treat betting on sports as most other types of investment oppurtunities.

do not bet more than 2% of bankroll on anything, starting out especially.

1. bad bad habit to get into. what you start out betting is what you are going to become accustomed to. you have no idea what your hold percentage is or if you have any type of advantage until about 2-3 years into it.

2. the longer you are part of the sports market the better you become, don't put yourself out of the game by taking chances.

3. bonuses are bad. reduced vig is far more valuable. a LOT of books that have offered bonuses have stiffed a large number of players because their overhead is too much, the book fails.

4. start out flat betting. maybe a few bets that are 1.5 or 2x. track everything. set goals. at first, dedicate the time to beating 52.38%. even at -107 dedicate the time to beating 52.38% (things change). force yourself to look at totals.

5. goals are everything. separate realistic expectations from fantasy and greed. Is consistent 20% ROI per year realistic? YES. Is one million dollars starting with 500 in less than a year? NO! 20% a year over x amount of years is good money. As your bankroll grows your bet size should as well. I recommend keeping the bet size the same for a good while to begin. Generally, I increase bet size as my bankroll grows. For every 10% my BR grows I reconfigure bet size (BR of 100% +10% = new BR of 110%-->>100%, avg bet goes up by about 10% after the plateau is reached). There are more complicated systems out there that incorporate Kelly and partial Kelly...ignore them. They are not designed for the sports market and without a sample size you do not know what your advantage is anyways.

6. Develop subsets. what is your ROI on football, college and pro? on totals on both? on 2nd halves on both on both? on first quarters on both on both? on specific teams? (most people suck on their favorite teams). same for basketball. baseball will teach you a lot about the numbers, teach you more about the market aspect of this than the other sports IMO. do baseball work. Develop angles. everyone knows that Unranked NCAA basketball teams that are Favored over Ranked teams do well, but there are more out there. Always ask why? There is underlying logic to some of the lines that is outside of statistical significance.

It's very difficult to do things successfully outside of the guidelines IMO.

Well, first of all, it was Ask ShrinK, not you.

It's always the same litany of Sharp orthodoxy that any poster can write who has been on the forums for six months.

So your advice is that the new $200 bettor is going to place 2% or $4 on his first bet? That is so remarkably unrealistically stupid. Four dollars? Good grief, we need entrance exams to post here.

And still, the larger question surrounding the "Is there more money to be made gambling or by facilitating others to gamble?", remains unanswered.

ATX

Well, first of all, it was Ask ShrinK, not you.

It's always the same litany of Sharp orthodoxy that any poster can write who has been on the forums for six months.

So your advice is that the new $200 bettor is going to place 2% or $4 on his first bet? That is so remarkably unrealistically stupid. Four dollars? Good grief, we need entrance exams to post here.

And still, the larger question surrounding the "Is there more money to be made gambling or by facilitating others to gamble?", remains unanswered.

If you only have $200 extra dollars why are you betting anyways? This isn't the lotto.

you didn't read the 2nd part which deals with strategies at the lower levels.

it's not about how much you have as a starting bankroll, it's about where you end up and minimizing risk of ruin along the way. If you have $200 it may not be time to deposit if you have to bet $10 minimums. Risk of Ruin is too great and transfer fees eat up small amounts.

Also most investment strategies allow for adding amounts each paycheck or week or month or whatever and the sports market should be no different. Focus on investing $50/100/500 a month, whatever you can save (outside of any bills, entertainment, life savings etc) just like most other markets. It gets tricky increasing bet sizes when you are adding to BR. Your balance may be going up because you are adding by investing instead of beating -110. Always think long term and it's not a good idea to have more than 25% of your BR exposed IMO. At certain amounts your BR should be in an interest bearing commodity NOT in an offshore book.

people that cringe at the majority of this information are not going to win long term. this info isn't so much from "me" as it is generally universally accepted fact.

Shrink- I had a couple questions for you.

I am working with a partner in various advantage play endeavors. I am also getting rebates for the plays I am making. We are making a killing, even without the rebates. My partner has no idea about the rebates and we are making good money without them. What he does not know, won't kill him right? There is nothing wrong in just keeping the rebates for myself, since he is profiting without it, correct?

My second question is this. I lost 300k gambling in the Pinnacle casino. I'm a wreck, I don't know what to do. I am going to get a rebate on some of my losses, but I'd like more. Do you know any of the higher ups at Pinny? Do you think I could get some of my money back. Maybe like 80k or something? My wife is going to kill me when she finds out, can you help me out?

I subscribe to the same strategy as you ATX

however I know personally a few gamblers who play a lot less games and pound the hell out of them, and its successful for them, even long term.

ATX

however I know personally a few gamblers who play a lot less games and pound the hell out of them, and its successful for them, even long term.

It is a BAD idea to get into that habit starting out.

For most people it turns into chasing.

I like to bet according to perceived value so I don't flat bet. I have a lot of different angles and systems so I often have a lot of bets, sometimes I just want to get a single, or a 3outta5, but usually I'm betting anything I see with an edge.

nothing wrong with that pound it strategy if they are +EV. I do it too. I bet over 6% total BR on LA +3/3' in game 5. I bet over 5% on USC over Ohio State and Oregon State over Hawaii. I often go shotgun, betting between 30 and 50 events a day. Sometimes I launch rockets, but I usually only bet over 1.5% when I have a close to a perceived 60% chance of winning.

a lot of this is psychological.

even IF you are a 55% bettor, there is a lot of variance involved. If you flip a quarter weighted to 45/55 you are going to come up tails over 10 times in a row fairly often over a large sample size. At just 5% an event you would lose over half of your bankroll very,very quickly and at large amounts of money, not only is it hard to replace, it is psychologically hard to over come which detracts from performance. a vicious circle develops.

ATX

to be clear, I'm not disagreeing. I'm just saying that they know what they are doing. They are not beginners. They are hitting soft numbers and/or advantage situations and they recognize the opportunities as such.