The Greatest Athlete of All Time

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated
Re: The Greatest Athlete of All Time

you guys have lost your mind if you think they are better....perhaps the better statement should have been "nobody has ever been better in their sport than Michael Jordan"

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post2376236 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> 09-07-09, 11:34 AM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right> #1 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175>Tim Finchem******** type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2376236", true); </SCRIPT>
PGA Tour Commissioner

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2376236 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> The Greatest Athlete of All Time
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1>Michael Jordan and it is not even up for debate.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Check him out in golf and baseball and see if you can still call him the greatest athlete of all time. Best basketball player.... I'll give you that one.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

<table class="tborder" id="post2376236" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0" width="100%"><tbody><tr><td class="thead" style="border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(43, 41, 94); border-width: 1px 0px 1px 1px; font-weight: normal;">
</td><td class="thead" style="border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(43, 41, 94); border-width: 1px 1px 1px 0px; font-weight: normal;" align="right">
</td></tr><tr valign="top"><td class="alt2" style="border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(43, 41, 94); border-width: 0px 1px;" width="175">
</td><td class="alt1" id="td_post_2376236" style="border-right: 1px solid rgb(43, 41, 94);">
</td></tr></tbody></table>

Check him out in golf and baseball and see if you can still call him the greatest athlete of all time. Best basketball player.... I'll give you that one.

Damn straight. :devil: He sucked at everything but Basketball.

Bo knows. :houra

you guys have lost your mind if you think they are better....perhaps the better statement should have been "nobody has ever been better in their sport than Michael Jordan"

Yes, this would have been better, and I think that would still be up for debate.

ballwonder

EOG Master

Walter Payton a brutal sport he survived only to pass way to early in life.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Athlete is all encompassing. He had a great team, coach and had a knack to take it on himself to win games. Outstanding I say. However, to say the best ever is a reach. You have to like the old with the new, i.e. Russell, Brown, Maravich, Bird, Ruth, Thorpe and many others to generalize. How do you rate best? Winning Championships? What they did in charity work? Team sports are very hard to judge this.

The game has turned into business. Look at the 60's Packers who won how many championships. Most had other jobs in the off season. The $ changes everything. I loved watching Mike however.

Hard question to answer, it is all relative and personal.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Payton was awesome. Loved the hard work and handed the ball to the ref after every score. No show boating.

JoJo Jerksalot - second baseman for the 1989 Riverside, CA little league WS team. JoJo had six RBIs in the semifinal game against Climax, Georgia.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

LOL. Plus they were better looking, better genes, and had much better athletes to choose from.

I am ignorant to the HS football issue but how does the Texas HS champs compare with the SoCal teams, if they ever played against each other.

I forgot to mention - JoJo went on to win the 1993 curling championship and he is the first known white boy to munch Elena Dementieva's box.

railbird

EOG Master

Im a better athlete than Michael Jordan. Can Jordan throw a football 65 yds? Can Jordan hit a tennis serve 125? Does Jordan play world class paddle tennis? Jordan can dunk a basketball? I hope so he is 6'7. Lets talk about the part where he got EVERY call from the refs for 10 years.

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

<TABLE class=tborder id=post2376497 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=3 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid"> 09-07-09, 01:58 PM </TD><TD class=thead style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 1px solid; FONT-WEIGHT: normal; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 1px solid" align=right> #19 </TD></TR><TR vAlign=top><TD class=alt2 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-TOP: #2b295e 0px solid; BORDER-LEFT: #2b295e 1px solid; BORDER-BOTTOM: #2b295e 0px solid" width=175>railbird******** type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_2376497", true); </SCRIPT>
EOG Dedicated

</TD><TD class=alt1 id=td_post_2376497 style="BORDER-RIGHT: #2b295e 1px solid"> Re: The Greatest Athlete of All Time
<HR style="COLOR: #2b295e" SIZE=1>Im a better athlete than Michael Jordan
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Hey Tim,

I'll give you that Jordan is a better athlete than Rail except in Rail's mind.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Rail is a legend in his own mind. Not a bad fault to have.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Bo, the best multi I have seen. The broken bat on the thigh was awesome. Too short of a career.

tripp

EOG Master

jordan was the best basketball player ever, by far. i think he is certainly the best ever at his sport and I think that is what many are trying to say when they say he is the best "athlete" ever.

tripp

EOG Master

rail also makes a bit of a valid point in theory about overall athlete, but you have to take a few things into consideration:

1) how much Jordan is better at basketball than you rail

2) Golf and baseball Jordan would hold his own at, or beat you

3) Throwing a football far and serving hard in tennis doesn't make you good at either sport really. JaMarcus throws the ball further than a few elite QB's I'm sure, but I would not even want him as my 5th string QB

Jim Thorpe

2 Olympic gold medals (pentathlon and decathlon)
NFL player
MLB player
Greatest athlete of the first half of the 20th century
3 ranked athlete of the 20th century (under Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan)

hard to do much more than that...MJ is arguably the best player ever at his sport (competing w/ ali, ruth, and pele) buuut id have to say somebody like thorpe or jim brown would have to be ahead of them as greater athletes of all time

kid44

EOG Dedicated

Jim Thorpe

2 Olympic gold medals (pentathlon and decathlon)
NFL player
MLB player
Greatest athlete of the first half of the 20th century
3 ranked athlete of the 20th century (under Babe Ruth and Michael Jordan)

hard to do much more than that...MJ is arguably the best player ever at his sport (competing w/ ali, ruth, and pele) buuut id have to say somebody like thorpe or jim brown would have to be ahead of them as greater athletes of all time

Problem is most of these kids do not do their homework. Mainly they only associate greatness with those they have seen.

Problem is most of these kids do not do their homework. Mainly they only associate greatness with those they have seen.

ha ha thats funny...i had a write a paper on somebody famous and chose thorpe back in high school...was nice learning all about somebody like him

Athlete is all encompassing. He had a great team, coach and had a knack to take it on himself to win games. Outstanding I say. However, to say the best ever is a reach. You have to like the old with the new, i.e. Russell, Brown, Maravich, Bird, Ruth, Thorpe and many others to generalize. How do you rate best? Winning Championships? What they did in charity work? Team sports are very hard to judge this.

The game has turned into business. Look at the 60's Packers who won how many championships. Most had other jobs in the off season. The $ changes everything. I loved watching Mike however.

Hard question to answer, it is all relative and personal.

id have to rate the greatest athlete of all time by how well they excelled at multiple sports, whether not they were influential to their respective sports, overall talent in relation to who they played against, championship success, and a few other things that arent on the top of the head at the moment...

MIKEH75

EOG Dedicated

Bo, the best multi I have seen. The broken bat on the thigh was awesome. Too short of a career.

i think it was back in '87 wasn't it? monday night game raiders against seattle where bo kept running after the touchdown and went through the end zone and almost out of the building,lol.i was listening to that game on the radio that night.91 yard TD.also it was bo's 25th birthday

The greatest athlete....I would think would be one that could excel at more than one sport. Jordan was the best in hoops, but when it comes down to best athlete ever.....he is not even close....

You have to first start with multi-pro players.

1. Deoin Sanders......Greatest one on on defender ever. Great punt returner. He could play major league baseball....Alot of talent, and one of the greatest athletes of all time.

2. Bo Jackson....Great running back....excellent baseball player....

3. Rick Rhoden....Good pitcher, Pga Golfer, Pro Bowler....He can have 3 Pro Cards...He was in baseball...He has a PGA card...He qualifies for a PBA card.....

4. Tom Brady...Pro Football Superstar....Scratch golfer....

You need more than one sport here to be the greatest athlete of all time....

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

Hard to argue with Jim Thorpe. How about Dave Winfield? Only player in history to be chosed in the MLB, NBA and NFL drafts.

Hitdogg42

EOG Dedicated

Ace Parker - MLB and NFL Hall of Famer !!! Won a PGA tour event as well and shot a 59 !!!

Bo Jackson - We all know his big sports, but could have won gold medals as well

Carl Lewis - Also a great singer

Deion Sanders - TD and HR in the same freaking DAY !!!!

i think it was back in '87 wasn't it? monday night game raiders against seattle where bo kept running after the touchdown and went through the end zone and almost out of the building,lol.i was listening to that game on the radio that night.91 yard TD.also it was bo's 25th birthday

That was the day he blew up Brian Bosworths Shoulder like a hand grenade....

kid44

EOG Dedicated

The greatest athlete....I would think would be one that could excel at more than one sport. Jordan was the best in hoops, but when it comes down to best athlete ever.....he is not even close....

You have to first start with multi-pro players.

1. Deoin Sanders......Greatest one on on defender ever. Great punt returner. He could play major league baseball....Alot of talent, and one of the greatest athletes of all time.

2. Bo Jackson....Great running back....excellent baseball player....

3. Rick Rhoden....Good pitcher, Pga Golfer, Pro Bowler....He can have 3 Pro Cards...He was in baseball...He has a PGA card...He qualifies for a PBA card.....

4. Tom Brady...Pro Football Superstar....Scratch golfer....

You need more than one sport here to be the greatest athlete of all time....

I have always said that Deion was the best cover guy ever to play the game. Tackling very suspect. Was a great return man also.

Rick Rhoden is a great golfer. Not really familiar with his baseball prowess. I am sure if I put my mind to it I could think of many more. Good choices.

kid44

EOG Dedicated

IMO from what I personally saw Bo was the best. Was not his first AB a homerun?

Also is very humble. Jimmy the greek was right. Good genes.