OT: Who here even remembers what their New Years Resolution was?

thegreatdiatchi

EOG Addicted
Re: OT: Who here even remembers what their New Years Resolution was?

Haha, well one of mine was proposing to my girlfriend. I didn't expect to do that until the end of the year but I knew she would be expecting it then so I had to do it earlier. I also try to make it a goal to get in shape every year but so far I've been more concerned with finding a job and finishing up my MBA.

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

:tub:

Maybe my New Year's resolution was to not gain 40lbs...fail. :slep:

janus

EOG Dedicated

Haha, well one of mine was proposing to my girlfriend. I didn't expect to do that until the end of the year but I knew she would be expecting it then so I had to do it earlier. I also try to make it a goal to get in shape every year but so far I've been more concerned with finding a job and finishing up my MBA.

well, congrats on the proposal at least, my friend. glad to hear somebody is manning up.

J

joeybagadonuts

I never make one.

How good an idea can you come up with black out drunk on the last day of the year? Honestly I think its just silly in general. Why make a false promise to yourself that you'll probably fail at? If you actually want to do that, the other 364 days of the year work fine also.

mofome

Banned

janus, sounds like somebody is contemplating.

that sounds like a phone call this week.

mofome

Banned

I never make one.

How good an idea can you come up with black out drunk on the last day of the year? Honestly I think its just silly in general. Why make a false promise to yourself that you'll probably fail at? If you actually want to do that, the other 364 days of the year work fine also.

a rebirth of the mind/soul. a fine consideration, but tremendously flawed as you noted. Even still, the positive nature behind the premise is a good thing. Gets people feeling good about themselves for a bit and, for a spell, creates goals.

Give me the person with the positive frame of mind now, and we'll deal with the failure should we get there. One day at a time.

Integrity

EOG Master

a rebirth of the mind/soul. a fine consideration, but tremendously flawed as you noted. Even still, the positive nature behind the premise is a good thing. Gets people feeling good about themselves for a bit and, for a spell, creates goals.

Give me the person with the positive frame of mind now, and we'll deal with the failure should we get there. One day at a time.

solid

diogee

Verly isnt going anywhere

I like that...on to tomorrow. :whip:

J

joeybagadonuts

Classic. As soon as I saw Mo's post I knew you would come give him props for the use of "positive" thinking.

I call bs.

Anyone that can think for themselves and make goals does NOT need a special day to do it. I know this for fact. Also, as you mentioned, failure is common. Isn't it healthier and more positive to make a reasonable goal to accomplish so you feel good about the journey, as well as the end?

Not trying to argue about dumb shit like this, I just feel new year resolutions are intrinsically set up to fail.

Integrity

EOG Master

Classic. As soon as I saw Mo's post I knew you would come give him props for the use of "positive" thinking.

I call bs.

Anyone that can think for themselves and make goals does NOT need a special day to do it. I know this for fact. Also, as you mentioned, failure is common. Isn't it healthier and more positive to make a reasonable goal to accomplish so you feel good about the journey, as well as the end?

Not trying to argue about dumb shit like this, I just feel new year resolutions are intrinsically set up to fail.

What's funny is, I pretty much agree with you about New Year's Resolutions, that's why I don't make them...

But anything that can work for a certain person is good, imo. IF they take the cause of a N.Y.R. to do it, so be it. Good for them

Maybe it won't work, but perhaps that positive thought process will start to take shape.

But yeah, this is dumbshit to argue about...

mofome

Banned

I call bs.

Dont forget to rip diogee.

"anyone" is a bit broad, no? That, actually, is the wonderful thing about it. For some it works, for some it doesnt. For some it matters, for some its a joke. If it helps one person better their lives while it hurts no one, then the idea, imo, is a success.

With any/all success we have failures, should we try nothing? We each gamble knowing that we will lose sometimes, should we not try? We have all done things knowing that we're not likely to succeed, but if you only attempt something because you feel that you are 90% certain you will be successful, then you are a failure to begin with.

janus

EOG Dedicated

janus, sounds like somebody is contemplating.

that sounds like a phone call this week.

what are you, a psychologist now? i know you work for one, lets not get carried away.

mofome

Banned

what are you, a psychologist now? i know you work for one, lets not get carried away.

Shrink and I never talk about psychology. I was thinking more along the lines of a friendly phone call rather than a break down of the scenario. But, as you wish. Of course.

J

joeybagadonuts

For some reason I can't quote your post Mo. Anyways, in response to it-

I didn't say not to attempt to make goals at all, rather make reasonable ones so you can feel good about your accomplishment. I think setting of solid goals is much easier on days that aren't NYE when you have other things on your mind. That goes for you too, diogee! Though you get a pass unlike mo since you are a niner's fan.

janus

EOG Dedicated

Shrink and I never talk about psychology. I was thinking more along the lines of a friendly phone call rather than a break down of the scenario. But, as you wish. Of course.

ah, man, i know, just giving you shit. ribbing is tough over forum lines.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

resolutions are for people who don't have the discipline to make positive changes on their own..they need some mythical day in order to start.

Winners just make changes without having to rely on Jan 1st to get them to do things they should do anyway.

mofome

Banned

For some reason I can't quote your post Mo. Anyways, in response to it-

I didn't say not to attempt to make goals at all, rather make reasonable ones so you can feel good about your accomplishment. I think setting of solid goals is much easier on days that aren't NYE when you have other things on your mind. That goes for you too, diogee! Though you get a pass unlike mo since you are a niner's fan.

IMO, its all about the premise. A day to set goals. Unlike, say, valentines, there is use/value in that.

Your point about goals is tricky. Goals that are too reasonable are not fulfilling and therefore actually make you feel worse if not accomplished. Thats a no-win scenario.

Of all the things that are complete crap, and there are plenty, I think the idea of talking about/thinking about/acting out a scenario that is meant to improve your life is a completely positive thing.

Even a discussion like this, about 'new years resolutions', could get someone thinking about making goals. the one commercialized phrase/idea that actually gets someone in gear from time to time.

mofome

Banned

ah, man, i know, just giving you shit. ribbing is tough over forum lines.

haha it can be.

been a great night on the boards for me man. no matter what scrimmage may think of us.

MikeOswald

EOG Dedicated

mine was to lose wieght and I am still sticking to it.

mofome

Banned

resolutions are for people who don't have the discipline to make positive changes on their own..they need some mythical day in order to start.

Winners just make changes without having to rely on Jan 1st to get them to do things they should do anyway.

hallmark could not have said it any better.

Integrity

EOG Master

haha it can be.

been a great night on the boards for me man. no matter what scrimmage may think of us.

great night on the boards for me too man..

that madden thread was one of my fave all-time threads, especially since we were posting while playing and shit

good times

janus

EOG Dedicated

mo, i sent you a pm...

mofome

Banned

haha yeah we used to do that all the time. not sure why it stopped. we were trying to build on it but didnt have enough people with a ps3.

thats fun though. some nights we had a bunch of people following different games.

Integrity

EOG Master

haha yeah we used to do that all the time. not sure why it stopped. we were trying to build on it but didnt have enough people with a ps3.

thats fun though. some nights we had a bunch of people following different games.

yeah, well hopefully another madden group emerges

and a way to stream the games for others to see would be awesome too!

mofome

Banned

we can make it happen.

fifa
madden

whatever you fuckers play

Quit smoking cigs which I've done

New Fifa comes out in a month!

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

i agree with bagadonuts....resolutions are silly

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Mine has been the same since I turned 40....lose weight!

Have failed miserably for the past 18 years....

mofome

Banned

i agree with bagadonuts....resolutions are silly

in this thread alone one poster has kept his promise to lose weight and one has kept his promise to quit smoking. the opposite of silly, i would think.

:pop: