Is it just me or has the 2009 baseball season been the worst baseball season of all-time?

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran
Not talking about in a betting sense. Im just talking about the season in general. Not one great storyline. Not one great playoff race. Not one player chasing after some sort of record. It seems like its the same 5 teams year after year, with your occational small market team here and there.

Im tired of seeing Pittsburgh have 20 consecutive losing seasons, its just not good for baseball.

The deconstruction of Tampa has already begun. It wont be long before NY and Boston raids there whole team.

I wonder which NY or LA team is going to get Greinke in a few years.
Its just not fair and not watchable anymore.

Its sad that Toronto does not have Haliday, Carpenter, and Burnett as there starters right now like they deserve.That would make the AL East race a whole lot more interesting dont you think?? They are forced to give those players away.

Baseball is in a sad state and being overtaken by football because of the imbalance of power.

How boring would football be right now if Dallas, NY, and NE had all the talent. It would be unwatchable.

Baseball is getting more and more unwatchable bythe season, and this season seems to be the worst season of alltime.

I cant wait for it to end.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!
Re: Is it just me or has the 2009 baseball season been the worst baseball season of all-time?

Its just you.

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran
Re: Is it just me or has the 2009 baseball season been the worst baseball season of all-time?

Its just you.

Not according to the TV ratings and the attendance.

According to FOX, they dont even want to renew there contract with MLB because nobody watches it anymore.

ABC and NBC and CBS dont want it either.
It wont be long before baseball is in the same boat as hockey watch the world series on the home shoping network.

I know thats a slight exageration, but the point is it is not just me.

Last nights Dallas/Giants game got a rating that was 25% higher then the last game 7 of the world series, and that game was game one of the regular season and it was on cable.

Its sad to say, but its not just me.

I believe the public has grown tired of the media forcing the Yankees and Red Sox down our throats.

cheapseats

EOG Master

Over exposure has added to the problem as well, and with prices as they are, I don't think MLB is creating a boat load of new fans.

ballwonder

EOG Master

Ichiro Suzuki. Guy broke an 84 year old record and did it legit. This gave me some reason to still enjoy the game. Has it gone south yes, but still a few left that make you still want to follow.

High Times

EOG Master

1/3 of the MLB teams are really minor league teams that have Major league schedules.

Toronto, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay all got screwed and for a long time getting stuck in the same division as the Greedy Red Sox and Yankees who refuse to make the playing field fair.

The AL central has Detroit and Chicago with a couple minor league teams and they can't even win the division year after year.

The west coast divisions include both Los Angeles teams and the rest have horrible management or are minor league teams.

It's amazing that anybody except both L.A. teams win a west division title EVER!

Yea, Baseball sucks big time!

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

1/3 of the MLB teams are really minor league teams that have Major league schedules.

Toronto, Baltimore, and Tampa Bay all got screwed and for a long time getting stuck in the same division as the Greedy Red Sox and Yankees who refuse to make the playing field fair.

The AL central has Detroit and Chicago with a couple minor league teams and they can't even win the division year after year.

The west coast divisions include both Los Angeles teams and the rest have horrible management or are minor league teams.

It's amazing that anybody except both L.A. teams win a west division title EVER!

This is what im talking about.
Some of these teams that you are calling minor league are not that way because they want to, they are that way because they have to.

Some of the worst run teams in baseball are the big market teams that do no asswork with there farm system. All they do is let the Tampas and KCs of the world develope all the talent then the big teams go steal it all away after 5 years.

Then these big teams cant even get that right half the time. This is the only reason that teams like the Twins and Marlins can compete every once in a while because despite the advantages of the big market teams, sometimes they make such stupid moves that the small market teams compete in small windows once in a blue moon.

mofome

Banned

its been a boring one from where I sit. Im with you chop

Expansion has so diluted the talent pool that the game on the field has really suffered.

Four to six teams need to be contracted, remove the wild card, remove the designated hitter, remove body armour for hitters and remove interleague play.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

What do you suggest the Yankees do, since its all their fault that everyone else sucks? What should the Yanks and Sox do?

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

This is what im talking about.
Some of these teams that you are calling minor league are not that way because they want to, they are that way because they have to.

Some of the worst run teams in baseball are the big market teams that do no asswork with there farm system. All they do is let the Tampas and KCs of the world develope all the talent then the big teams go steal it all away after 5 years.

Then these big teams cant even get that right half the time. This is the only reason that teams like the Twins and Marlins can compete every once in a while because despite the advantages of the big market teams, sometimes they make such stupid moves that the small market teams compete in small windows once in a blue moon.

Wow, how far off can this post be? The marlins basically bought their world series title and then sold all their players right away the next year. That wasn't a farm system team.

You want to know why the Nats and Royals have a lot of good young players? They finish last every year and sign the top college talent. Then sell them to the big market teams. A lot of those "small" market team owners are perfectly happy having small payrolls and collecting that luxury tax. They have no interest in winning championships.

The "worst run teams in baseball" are doing quite well in profit year in and year out. These owners wouldn't be operating at large losses just for the fun of trying to win a championship.

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

What do you suggest the Yankees do, since its all their fault that everyone else sucks? What should the Yanks and Sox do?

i dont blame the yanks and sox...I blame MLB....there should be a salary cap and they should eliminate all the shenanigans like Hoffa discussed

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

i dont blame the yanks and sox...I blame MLB....there should be a salary cap and they should eliminate all the shenanigans like Hoffa discussed

But everyone comes down on the Yanks. Everyone chants Yanks suck. They don't chant MLB sucks, why is that if its all MLB's fault?

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

Yup. MLB baseball needs a cap big time. The Yanks/Sox/Ddgers/Mets shouldn't be blamed. Imagine Mark Cuban's payroll if NBA didn't have a cap? He would make sure he won the championship.

CHOPTALK

EOG Veteran

Wow, how far off can this post be? The marlins basically bought their world series title and then sold all their players right away the next year. That wasn't a farm system team.

You want to know why the Nats and Royals have a lot of good young players? They finish last every year and sign the top college talent. Then sell them to the big market teams. A lot of those "small" market team owners are perfectly happy having small payrolls and collecting that luxury tax. They have no interest in winning championships.

The "worst run teams in baseball" are doing quite well in profit year in and year out. These owners wouldn't be operating at large losses just for the fun of trying to win a championship.

The Marlins bought there first title, not the 2nd one. The owner is a very rich person and decieded to take a chance to see if Miami would support a winner. Once he learned that he still could not put 14K in the seats he auctioned off the team and I dont blame him.

The 2nd title was all from the farm almost 100%.

Then they had to get rid of Beckett and Burnett, and Cabrara, Lowell, etc.. Just a few of the names off the top of my head all from the farm team.

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

But everyone comes down on the Yanks. Everyone chants Yanks suck. They don't chant MLB sucks, why is that if its all MLB's fault?

Everyone doesn't chant that. Boston fans chant that. Just like Yanks fans chant Boston sucks. Yanks have the most fans of any MLB team. They have alot of fans at every single road game no matter where it is.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Yup. MLB baseball needs a cap big time. The Yanks/Sox/Ddgers/Mets shouldn't be blamed. Imagine Mark Cuban's payroll if NBA didn't have a cap? He would make sure he won the championship.

I don't think its the American way to tell people they can only make a certain amount of money. I think the leagues with caps are really breaking laws, but the country lets them get away with it. Its not the american way to collude and keep famous entertainers from making as much as people are willing to pay them.

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

I agree with you that they take the brunt of the blame but I'm not one of those people blaming the Yankees

ShavenCoinpurse

EOG Dedicated

The Marlins bought there first title, not the 2nd one. The owner is a very rich person and decieded to take a chance to see if Miami would support a winner. Once he learned that he still could not put 14K in the seats he auctioned off the team and I dont blame him.

The 2nd title was all from the farm almost 100%.

Then they had to get rid of Beckett and Burnett, and Cabrara, Lowell, etc.. Just a few of the names off the top of my head all from the farm team.

Good points.

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

I don't think its the American way to tell people they can only make a certain amount of money. I think the leagues with caps are really breaking laws, but the country lets them get away with it. Its not the american way to collude and keep famous entertainers from making as much as people are willing to pay them.

so you want people to stop picking on the yankees but you also dont want to fix the problem that is causing this2938u4ji23

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Twins owner who recently died has more money than Steinbrenner what's his excuse?

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

so you want people to stop picking on the yankees but you also dont want to fix the problem that is causing this2938u4ji23

I dont appreciate someone singling out my team for barbs and jabs and leaving other teams alone. If your son made a mistake at a little league game would you want me singling him out and yelling insults to him the entire game? Of course not, you would tell me to STFU. That's how i feel, These guys are mi familia, i have to stick up for them, i can't have people singling me out without fighting back.

Tim Finchem

EOG Dedicated

I dont appreciate someone singling out my team for barbs and jabs and leaving other teams alone. If your son made a mistake at a little league game would you want me singling him out and yelling insults to him the entire game? Of course not, you would tell me to STFU. That's how i feel, These guys are mi familia, i have to stick up for them, i can't have people singling me out without fighting back.

the problem is not the players, it is the front office. if you are going to buy up all the top talent and not win the WS every year, you can expect fans from other teams to give you(not you personally but your team) shit

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

the problem is not the players, it is the front office. if you are going to buy up all the top talent and not win the WS every year, you can expect fans from other teams to give you(not you personally but your team) shit

But Boston does the same exact thing and no one really gives them any shit. its all about the Yanks. Every time i look up these guys are buying up Victor Martinez and Billy Wagner, etc.

Expansion has so diluted the talent pool that the game on the field has really suffered.

Four to six teams need to be contracted, remove the wild card, remove the designated hitter, remove body armour for hitters and remove interleague play.
Your ideas make too much sense, Jimbo.

Seriously, the MLB Players Association has already ruined the game and it will never be the thrilling sport that it was when I was growing up. I ceased being a true fan about five years ago. Free agency has destroyed America's pastime and they won't get me back.

High Times

EOG Master

The problem with MLB is the teams all operate seperate.

Meaning the Twins or Padres could never get the T.V. contract that the Yankees can get being in New York. They also can not compete with the other obvious source's of income, ticket sales, suites, merchandise sales.

The problem that MLB has is that the Yankees and Red Sox have no reason to change this and probably never will.

The NFL, NBA, and NHL all share the profits in some form. The NFL devides everything and that is the reason every NFL team can compete. The NHL just changed the way they operate and have done the same thing.

These leagues also share the profits with the players by %.

MLB will never change until the Yankees, Red Sox, and the L.A. teams make the playing field fair and they are 1st business men and would never do that, even though it would make the league great again.

The NFL has it right, Baseball has it all wrong and can't even change it because the rich teams are not about to give that up.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

The problem with MLB is the teams all operate seperate.

Meaning the Twins or Padres could never get the T.V. contract that the Yankees can get being in New York. They also can not compete with the other obvious source's of income, ticket sales, suites, merchandise sales.

The problem that MLB has is that the Yankees and Red Sox have no reason to change this and probably never will.

The NFL, NBA, and NHL all share the profits in some form. The NFL devides everything and that is the reason every NFL team can compete. The NHL just changed the way they operate and have done the same thing.

These leagues also share the profits with the players by %.

MLB will never change until the Yankees, Red Sox, and the L.A. teams make the playing field fair and they are 1st business men and would never do that, even though it would make the league great again.

The NFL has it right, Baseball has it all wrong and can't even change it because the rich teams are not about to give that up.

So when the Yankees go to baltimore and 20,000 extra fans from what they normally get show up specifically to see the Yankees, how much of that 'gate' do the Yanks get in their pockets?

Apple

Banned

How about the stupid waiver pick ups long after the trade deadline? Hate that shit.