How to Put money on On Sports - Key Numbers Happen in the NBA

Rich Allen

EOG Member
I want to speak to you about the occurrence of key numbers in the NBA. When we first started our study we were skeptical that we might find key numbers in the NBA the same as we did in football. With football, there are two main ways in which teams will score, by field goals or touchdowns. And barring missed extra points which happen very infrequently, this means points increase by margins of 3 or 7 in most cases. This provides a great occasion to hit upon statistical advantages.
But what about in the NBA? There's no big jump like 3 points to 7 points or 7 points to 7 more points like in the NFL. You can have free throws (1 point), regular baskets (2points), or three-pointers (3 points). Even more disturbing is the difference in the amount of scoring chances that occur in the two sports. In football games, each team generally scores between 3 and 6 times, with a combination of field goals and touchdowns. Opportunities abound for us to find noticeable patterns.
In the NBA teams typically average between 75-85 field goal attempts and the free throw attempts usually fall in the 20-30 range for each team. That's well over 200 opportunities between the two teams combined to put points on the board. It's enough to make your head spin!
However we surprised even ourselves when we found out that in fact there are key numbers in basketball. The first, and probably the most evident, is the number 2. This is the number by which point increases happen most often in basketball, and in that respect 2 is to basketball as 3 and 7 are to football. (That's just in case you ever have to take the S.A.T. exams again!)
But it may startle you to find out that the most common 'fall-on' number in the NBA (the number of the final margin of victory) is in fact ? 7! When you think about it, there is some logic in this. Seven constitutes a three possession game, which can put the actual won/loss outcome out of reach and teams will usually stop fouling in the finishing seconds if they can't tie it up with two possessions or less.
Not coincidentally, 7 is also one of the key numbers in my NBA system. There are other numbers that occur with high occurrence and there are also numbers that oddsmakers install that make it either easier or more complicated for favorites to cover. You don't need to do all the study yourself. Instead you can take a look at the my statistical system.
The key to winning basketball wagering is to figure out these key numbers and the reason behind them before anyone else does. This gives you a huge gain going into a slate of basketball games. This advantage can make the difference of a slight percentage point in your won-loss percentage, which is so vital when 52.7% is the percentage you must get to turn a profit when betting on football or basketball.
Good luck with all your wagers this season and don't forget the NBA has key numbers just like in football!

Best regards,
Rich Allen - aka Sports Betting Professor

munson15

I want winners...
Re: How to Put money on On Sports - Key Numbers Happen in the NBA

I've read that 2 and 7 are keys, with the numbers in between somewhat less important. Thanks.

52.38%, not 52.7%, at -110 is breakeven.

Boston

EOG Dedicated

I view 5,7 the most important numbers and I will buy off them almost always if betting a fave and buy to them for .5 a point if taking dogs.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

I view 5,7 the most important numbers and I will buy off them almost always if betting a fave and buy to them for .5 a point if taking dogs.
If it is correct to buy to a point, wouldn't it be more correct to buy through the point?:pop:

munson15

I want winners...

That would get pretty expensive, wouldn't it Ray? You'd turn a -110 or -105 into -130 or -125. He'd better hope those numbers come into play often enough before buying them, I believe.

Boston

EOG Dedicated

If it is correct to buy to a point, wouldn't it be more correct to buy through the point?:pop:

The real worry for me is to get a dog to either of these numbers if I can. Buying off them as a fave is just something I tend to do now because of many brutal pushes landing on these two numbers. I won't pay more than -120 in buckets normally and things have worked out so I will continue until they don't.

raycabino

Long Live Wilson!

That would get pretty expensive, wouldn't it Ray? You'd turn a -110 or -105 into -130 or -125. He'd better hope those numbers come into play often enough before buying them, I believe.
I'll give this is shot for you Munson. Let's use the 7 which I believe is the strongest # in the NBA (4.7% push rate). Let's assume that the Lakers -7.5 is a 50/50 proposition. Now if we layed -110 on the Lakers -7.5 we would be giving up a
2.38% edge because the break even point at -110 is 52.38%(110/210). Now lets buy the 1st half point. We now have the Lakers -7 -120. Now our 50/50 proposition at -7.5 turns into a 52.35% proposition because the 7 is worth 4.7% and we bought half of it. So we are laying -120 which has a break even point of 54.55%(120/220) so now we are giving up a 2.2% edge (54.55% -52.35%) instead of a 2.38% edge w/o the buy so we have picked up .18% so far. Now let's buy the Lakers to -6.5 -130. At -6.5 the Lakers will cover 54.7% of the time being that the 7 is worth 4.7% and the break even point at -130 is 56.52% (130/230). So the Lakers -6.5 -130 is only giving up a 1.82% (56.52% - 54.7%) as apposed to the 2.38% edge you give up with no buy and the 2.2% edge that you give up buying the 1st half a point. So buying through the whole point you picked up .56% (2.38% - 1.82%) as apposed to only picking up .18% with the original half point buy. Long story short, if it is correct to buy to a given #, then it is always correct to buy through that #. Keep in mind that most points aren't worth buying but if they are worth enough to buy to, then they are worth enough to buy through. Hope this helps.:cheers

OSU COWBOYS

EOG Dedicated

I'll give this is shot for you Munson. Let's use the 7 which I believe is the strongest # in the NBA (4.7% push rate). Let's assume that the Lakers -7.5 is a 50/50 proposition. Now if we layed -110 on the Lakers -7.5 we would be giving up a
2.38% edge because the break even point at -110 is 52.38%(110/210). Now lets buy the 1st half point. We now have the Lakers -7 -120. Now our 50/50 proposition at -7.5 turns into a 52.35% proposition because the 7 is worth 4.7% and we bought half of it. So we are laying -120 which has a break even point of 54.55%(120/220) so now we are giving up a 2.2% edge (54.55% -52.35%) instead of a 2.38% edge w/o the buy so we have picked up .18% so far. Now let's buy the Lakers to -6.5 -130. At -6.5 the Lakers will cover 54.7% of the time being that the 7 is worth 4.7% and the break even point at -130 is 56.52% (130/230). So the Lakers -6.5 -130 is only giving up a 1.82% (56.52% - 54.7%) as apposed to the 2.38% edge you give up with no buy and the 2.2% edge that you give up buying the 1st half a point. So buying through the whole point you picked up .56% (2.38% - 1.82%) as apposed to only picking up .18% with the original half point buy. Long story short, if it is correct to buy to a given #, then it is always correct to buy through that #. Keep in mind that most points aren't worth buying but if they are worth enough to buy to, then they are worth enough to buy through. Hope this helps.:cheers

Cabbie in the house.

The best post at EOG in months.

munson15

I want winners...

I apologize, Ray, I missed your response earlier probably because the thread got bumped from the front page. Thanks for the info. This is only for pro hoops, right? We had a discussion on NFL 7's earlier this morning and the buy onto and through appeared to be equally valuable to me. Would love to hear your perspective on that as well. :cheers