Cal @ Oregon

cheapseats

EOG Master
CAL goes north to play Oregon in a game that takes on far greater meaning now that USC tanked to UW. Oregon just downed then 18 Utah while CAL got by Minny on the road for a somewhat rare road win-and Minny is not all that. Line at -6 Cal with USC on deck for the Bears. Oregon at home, in an environment that is hard to play in for visitors, is looking to take command in the PAC 10 early in the year and this is where they can start; and they know it. I really like Oregon in this game to keep it close, within 2, if not win outright. More as the week goes along.

LaxDevil

EOG Addicted
Re: Cal @ Oregon

I agree with you guys. Oregon is so tough at home. They just need to limit the stupid turnovers and control the clock with the run game.

Oregon has huge coaching issues. They were terible against Boise State, and look really lost against Utah. They were very lucky to beat Purdue. Cal has the superior talent on both sides of the ball. Everyone talks about how tough it is to win up there, but the fact is that Oregon has not gone undefeated at home since 2000. Cal takes complete control of the Pac 10 with a win at Oregon. They have won the last 3 vs Oregon. All the technical information points to a Cal win. I think Cal wins and covers. Remember, Oregon has given up 79 points in 3 games against competition that is not near Cal's caliber.

cheapseats

EOG Master

Autzen Stadium is a very difficult place for the visiting team to play as its' stands are right on top of the playing field giving the home crowd a big advantage. Jahvid Best for Cal has shown some exceptional skills and is a top 10 back in College foots IMO. On the other side of the ball, Lamichael James has also shown his ability and of late against some fairly decent defenses. Cal carries a 77.57 power rating with a SOS of 47 while Oregon is 78.99 with a SOS of 9. If your into such numbers, it certainly favors the home team. As of Wednesday the line has dropped to 5' from 6 opening. These stats tend to support the line being to high.

The stats mean little. The fact is that Oregon has no way to defend Best and Cal. This is the problem they face. Their coaching problems have not been solved. This may be a case of another OC not being a very good HC. We see that time and time again. If Oregon can stop Best and force Riley to win the game with his arm, they have a very good shot at winning the game, but I do not think they have enough on defense to do so. Two starters are very questionable on a defense that can ill afford to lose any starters.

if this line creeps down more im taking Cal

Oregon would need a next to perfect effort from masoli to win this game

The line history is pretty straight forward so far, moving steadily down. It is -5 at some books in Vegas now. This may be bottom for the line. A correction back up would not be a suprise here.

Illini_in_AZ

EOG Enthusiast

My gut tells me that home field won't matter much here. Teams with star running backs are typically less prone to road struggles, and Cal has the nation's best in Jahvid Best.

Cal should be able to control the clock here, and if we're all being honest, they're simply a better team than Oregon. Yeah, Oregon got right against Utah last week, but that wasn't nearly the same Utah team that poleaxed Bama in the Sugar Bowl. They struggled to beat a Purdue team that just lost to Northern Illinois, and of course we all saw how Boise State dominated them in Boise on opening night.

Give the points with the significantly better team - Cal by 2 TDs.

LaxDevil

EOG Addicted

Cal has shown that they are the better team for sure. But defensively, who have they faced? Nobody worth a damn. Minnesota has a pretty good pass attack, but no running game and Cal's first two opponents aren't even worth mentioning (Maryland and E. Wash). Going into Oregon to play a ground control team may cause Cal some problems.

Now Oregon has not shown very much consistency on offense, but I have been saying this over and over, if Oregon can limit stupid turnovers and special teams blunders they have a good shot to win this outright. In sloppy weather against Utah, Oregon made some fixable mistakes - they don't make those mistakes they beat Utah by 2-3 td's and this game against Cal they are 2-3 point dogs.

I think it is all up to the Oregon defense. If they can not stop Cal and force Riley to win the game, they are in trouble. Either way, it promises to be a very good game. My asociates and I will be tuned in on Saturday to watch this one. A lot of technical information points to Cal in this game. We are watching the line very closely, as well as the injury reports.

Oregon as a home dog is very attractive.

Also Cal has done some serious traveling while Oregon is lying in wait.

Last thing, and this is bias...but I believe Cal is soft. Talented but soft. Autzen stadium is a bear and Oregon has an attitude there. Tedford teams never seem to rise to that challenge when punched in the mouth.

Last thing, and this is bias...but I believe Cal is soft. Talented but soft. Autzen stadium is a bear and Oregon has an attitude there. Tedford teams never seem to rise to that challenge when punched in the mouth.

Against USC, a team with a strong defense, that is true, but against Oregon, it is not. Two years ago, when Oregon had the #2 team in the nation and a healthy talented QB, they faced Cal at home as a 7 point favorite. They lost by 7, because the defense could not stop Cal. Cal has had it's problems against teams with solid defenses, but Oregon is certainly not that kind of team. That is why Oregon is a home dog.

Heim

EOG Master

Something is missing from this Oregon squad this year...still can't put my
finger on it. They had a chance to put a very average Utah team away and
couldn't do it.

The future markets had heavy play on over '9' with Cal and heavy under
play on the Ducks under '8'. I think most saw this as a win for Cal. Plus
I'd take Tedford over this new numb nuts at Oregon any day. Without doing
a lot of capping I think the linesmaker (market) is giving you the winner here.

What is missing at Oregon is continuity. Things stargted to go bad forOregon when Bellotti was forced to either take the A.D. job at Oregon or pass on it, and was given little or no time to decide. He wanted to wait another year, but was told to crap or get off the pot, so to speak. He waited until the last second to decide. Then he screwed around for 3 months before he actually took over the job. Meanwhile, Oregon did not hire a QB coach, so Bellotti took over that responsibility. They were also short on coach on the defensive side of things. By time Bellotti and Kelly got the coaching staff organized, too much time had passed. The coaching staff is too helter-skelter. Kelly looks lost as a HC. This is nothing new with OC's who step up.

cheapseats

EOG Master

Thank you all for the input. Here is what I have decided to do. ML Parlay with, yes, CAL Georgia and Ohio State, getting just over 1.00 on the 3-teamer.

choslamshe

EOG Master

What kind of game/role do you think Best will have today? How does he stack up against Oregon's run defence? I'm looking to play a prop for Best...his rushing yard o/u is 127.5 yards.

Seems like most of this game will take place on the ground...

cheapseats

EOG Master

Dont know if you saw this, but the comments are certainly interesting chos...

Most have written the Ducks off after their 8-19 road loss to Boise State to open the season. But quietly, Oregon has put together back-to-back wins against quality opponents in Purdue and Utah. Cal is a great team and one of the best in the Pac-10, but they did struggle to beat Minnesota on the road last week in a very close game throughout. Jahvid Best rushed for all 5 of Cal's touchdowns in that one, but we feel the Ducks will have an answer for Best Saturday. Oregon is giving up just 3.3 yards per carry this season, and that's come against teams with good running games. They held Boise to just 31 yards on 17 carries. Oregon is 6-1 SU & 5-2 ATS in their last 7 home meetings with Cal. After losing the last 2 meetings to the Bears, look for Oregon to come out a little extra motivated for this one to get back into the national picture. Cal is 2-13 ATS (-12.3 Units) as a road favorite of 7 points or less since 1992. Take Oregon and the points.

this guy was pretty smart...:houra

On the money line kids...GO DUCKS!!!!!