William and Mary (8-2) at Maryland (8-3)

Line currently Maryland -12.5, total of 141.5

Here we have the classic power conference versus mid-major matchup to wind up the non-conference slate before we hit the avalanche of conference games in January. Maryland, basically mired in ACC mediocrity since their championship game visit a few years back, sports an 8-3 record feasting on cupcakes and losing to better opposition. William and Mary is off to their best start in history, losing their opening two to UConn and Harvard then reeling off eight straight wins.

The Tribe is the epitome of the old saying the sum is greater than the parts. Certainly less athletic than their opposition almost all nights they play a team game reminiscent of a European squad. The whirlingdervish of passes and screens helps the Tribe get open three-point looks where they rank among the nation's leaders. Valuing the ball is another key element for Coach Tony Shaver's troops as their rock-steady backcourt play of David Schneider and Sean McCurdy limits turnovers. Marcus Kitts has been a revelation inside during his sophomore year and nicely balances out the Tribe's outside finesse with some brusing banging on the blocks.

Maryland is still largely Greivis Vasquez's team. The all-everything Venezuelan must have a sore back from carrying the Terps hopes and dreams the past few years. Running-mate Sean Mosley is expected to be back tonight after an ankle injury has sidelined him. Eric Hayes and Landon Milbourne are the Terps other scoring threats with Hayes being the key shooter from downtown. Freshman Jordan Williams gives Maryland an inside presence that they have sorely lacked.

This game comes down to who will impose their will. Maryland likes to press the pace and force turnovers as evidenced by their opponents 19 giveaways a game. William and Mary likes to control the pace and their scoring output is more a reflection of their efficiency than their speed of play. When the Tribe has trouble it is against teams that are patient and can bang the ball inside. Those two traits are not earmarks of a Gary Williams team of late. The experience is the backcourt for W&M should be able to negate the Terrapin press and turn it into more of a halfcourt game. Likely this game comes down to a three-point horse contest and the hotter team will win.

At this time of the calendar year it is hard to figure out which team will come out motivated and which team will have the Saint Nick hangover or be looking ahead to the conference season. Both teams sport similar records but closer inspection reveals W&M has much more quality in their victories. Their number seven ranked RPI attests to this fact as well.

I expect a close game, if not and outright upset here. Maryland certainly could blow out William and Mary should their threes fall and the Tribes fail to in a worst case scenario, but one has to side with the likelihood that statistics will not vary to that degree.

The sum is greater than the parts here and a true team is greater than five individuals. Here's thinking the Tribe will be the team to impose their will.

Taking:

W&M +12.5 3 units
W&M ML +700 .5 unit
Under 141.5 1 unit

Last edited:

OSU COWBOYS

EOG Dedicated
Re: William and Mary (8-2) at Maryland (8-3)

That is one amazing write up.

The market doesnt agree as the line has gone from 11.5 to 12.5. But hell, the market isnt right every time.

Good luck!

mofome

Banned

Jordan Williams is a bit of an oaf. The Terps don't have any decent inside presence at this point. If this comes down to a 3 point shooting contest, Vaz better get on track. The Terps use their flex offense to get looks round the basket, this version of the Terps is not one that depends a great deal on the 3. They score almost 60% of their points from inside the arc.

From everything you've said, this should be a close one. The Terps have a fairly useless press, decent guards make a joke of it. The Terps don't have a very athletic back court. Once Bowie gets in they become a little more athletic, but he doesn't have a polished game on the offensive end.

Maryland is going to need much more useful minutes out of Vazquez than they've been getting. He is working hard, but this season has been a disappointment. Mosley is their most consistent offensive, and defensive, player at this point. Vazquez has been better since the 2H of the eastern Kentucky game, but this is a large step up in competition from what he's seen over the last two and a half games.

I hope the game is on. Get some Terps/WM and some Az/Neb tonight.

gl clyde.

Good stuff, mofome. Obviously I am not as knowledgeable about Maryland as I am W&M. The Williams kid being an oaf in the ACC is a bit different than an oaf in the CAA. Kitts gets the most out of his ability, but his backup Hess is the very definition of oaf.

Opened at 11.5 and moved to 12.5. Have a hard time seeing it get higher so I will take the apex.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that W&M is undefeated ATS this year. (They have had a few non-lined games)

Game is on Comcast down here, not sure if same cable providers up there but pretty sure it would be on in Olney.

mofome

Banned

Good stuff, mofome. Obviously I am not as knowledgeable about Maryland as I am W&M. The Williams kid being an oaf in the ACC is a bit different than an oaf in the CAA. Kitts gets the most out of his ability, but his backup Hess is the very definition of oaf.

Opened at 11.5 and moved to 12.5. Have a hard time seeing it get higher so I will take the apex.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that W&M is undefeated ATS this year. (They have had a few non-lined games)

Game is on Comcast down here, not sure if same cable providers up there but pretty sure it would be on in Olney.

Yeah when you see williams you will know what I mean. 6-10 kid that struggles to dunk, is slow with his feet, and oddly awkward around the hoop. He had incredible HS numbers, but he is a project type kid at this point.

Almost game time. Im glad you got some hype going for the game, im more interested in it now.

Yeah we have it on comcast here too.

chazzy

EOG Dedicated

good luck clyde. hell of a write-up. will join for a few bucks.

Bottom fell out of the total.

All the way down to 136.5 before the bounce.

Don't know if it is a RAS or not, but obtuse-angled Clyde got you the good number.

Did it without caps locks in the thread title too, lol.

GO TRIBE!

Really wasn't even as close as the final score.

Tribe gave another ACC team a basketball lesson.

One team was back-door cutting, passing the ball around for open 3's and playing good fundamentals. The other was standing around with their thumbs up their asses watching the Venezuelan kid trying and knock down running off-balance jumpers. Guess which team won.

W&M 2, ACC 0

Soft, poorly coached, under talented. All fit.

If I were the Maryland AD I would have not let Coach Shaver left the building until he agreed to take over the Terps.

Granted the Tribe plays beautiful team ball, but Maryland is in for a world of hurt in the ACC if they are getting absolutely schooled by a team that has never sniffed the NCAA Tournament (that's right, never).

I just reread my writeup and have to say that I couldn't have done any better breaking down the game if I had watched it first.

The first self-awarded ClydeCoin in history goes to ClydeFontaine.

chazzy

EOG Dedicated

one well deserved clydecoin. thanks for the easy winner

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

fuckin' a. i saw this one coming last night, and forgot to hop on tonight...nice call, clyde.

mofome

Banned

Soft, poorly coached, under talented. All fit.

If I were the Maryland AD I would have not let Coach Shaver left the building until he agreed to take over the Terps.

Granted the Tribe plays beautiful team ball, but Maryland is in for a world of hurt in the ACC if they are getting absolutely schooled by a team that has never sniffed the NCAA Tournament (that's right, never).

Yeah, this is the terps. They cant recruit because no one wants to play for williams. No area has more basketball talent than the DC area, just look at the NBA and teams all over the country really. Its embarrassing to see them all leave the area or, now, head to Georgetown. I mean Dyson, Uconn, is from about 10 minutes from me. Player, after player, after player. Durant, to melo, to rudy gay, to beasely, to ty lawson and the list goes on.

mofome

Banned

Always nice to see an easy +750 winner.

That place had no atmosphere, too be expected, but thats on Williams as well. That place would fill up if they had something to come watch. Vazquez wont see a minute in the NBA, I dont know why anyone was ever worried about him leaving early. The only hope this team has is holding on to the one huge verbal they have, which they likely wont, and getting mosely to assert himself on offense. Hes far too unselfish, a lot of that may have to do with how vazquez plays. Hes brutal to watch these days.

Apple

Banned

Wish I would of seen this, FUCK ME.. I liked W&M a bit myself, felt the line was inflated.. Clyde confirmed what I thought..

Clyde is sharp as fuk.