So Russ thinks this new stadium in Minn is going to be a disaster

mofome

Banned
Bugs everywhere when its warm. Nasty weather at times early/late in the year. No more home field adv, or at least not as much.

Agree?

Integrity

EOG Master
Re: So Russ thinks this new stadium in Minn is going to be a disaster

losing dome field advantage is gonna take some getting used to

but the added revenue they make in getting a new stadium should make up for that, just as long as they use it to improve the product on the field, and by signing mauer to a long term extension, they are def going in the right direction

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Losing the dome will kill this team.

Weather in April will be horrific and they'll lack ticket sales because of it. This team had to build a retractable roof but didn't. The weather sucks in Chicago a lot of the time in April, it's just going to be 10 times worse there.

BADCO

EOG Dedicated

I remember the old Metropolitan stadium the house that Harmon built.

I don't remember any negative aspects,of course was just a kid.

I do remember Joe Kapp,Francis Tarketon and brutal snow storms though.

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

Bad weather will be a home field advantage once the Twinkies learn how to play in it. A la the Packers. The stadium will be packed in April. People are saying these things because they want them to be true. Don't worry about the Twins. They're the best team in their division and they're going to be just fine.

mike499

EOG Veteran

Bad weather will be a home field advantage once the Twinkies learn how to play in it. A la the Packers. The stadium will be packed in April. People are saying these things because they want them to be true. Don't worry about the Twins. They're the best team in their division and they're going to be just fine.
Agree 100% now lets get the vikes an opened air venue

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAOSure... Best team in the division. The team was built around the dome and the excelled in it. It was the best home field advantage in sports.

They'll learn how to play in the bad weather? This isn't football, and you don't play in bad weather, but they will play in cold weather. Problem is they'll have no advantage over the division because all of those teams have been playing in cold weather for years. The team will struggle.

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

BY FAR the best team in the division.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

::LMAO:: You're a funny guy. Nice closer you got there. You lost your best pitcher before the season started, and you're moving outside when your team was about 40 games over 500 at home the past two years. Good luck. 91023i2ndw;l

Every aspect of the White Sox is better than the Twins besides the 3-4-5 in your lineup. The White Sox will no longer have to deal with the dark days in the dome either.

Mammon

EOG Master

500$ timely? I got twins you got wsox?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

No, I got plenty invested into the White Sox this year otherwise I would. I got money on them to win the Central, AL and WS. Also got money on them, practically, in fantasy.

If I didn't have $1200 in side wagers in fantasy, I would, but I capped myself at $1000 in online wagers.

I do think the White Sox beat the Twins rather handily this year and I haven't said that in 10 years.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Everyone who thinks the dome won't make a big difference, here are the home records the past 5 years.

2009 - 49-33 (38-43 road)
2008 - 53-28 (35-47 on the road)
2007 - 41-40 (38-43 road)
2006 - 54-27 (42-39 road)

If you think that dome didn't play a huge part into them succeeding you're smoking the good stuff.

DefenseWins

EOG Veteran

:LMAO:LMAO:LMAOSure... Best team in the division. The team was built around the dome and the excelled in it. It was the best home field advantage in sports.

They'll learn how to play in the bad weather? This isn't football, and you don't play in bad weather, but they will play in cold weather. Problem is they'll have no advantage over the division because all of those teams have been playing in cold weather for years. The team will struggle.

Exaggerate much? Twins still have a better season than the white sox.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Exaggerate much? Twins still have a better season than the white sox.

See the records above. 91023i2ndw;l

It is the best advantage in sports and it has been for 10 years. They are a completely different team inside that dome.

DefenseWins

EOG Veteran

Most good teams have a better record at home, thanks for stating the obvious.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Most good teams have a better record at home, thanks for stating the obvious.

Really? Most good teams finish 15-20 games above 500 at home and below 500 on the road? That's not true at all. :thumbsup While teams tend to finish with better records at home, the discrepancy isn't nearly as consistent as it is with the Twins.

You go out of your way to call me out whenever you can, but you never point to any facts. I'd be interested in a professional team with a better home advantage.

Vanderbilt in basketball is up there, and there are a few others, but the Twins are #1 in baseball and #1 in professional sports.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Stadiums that rank up there with the Twins.

Arrowhead
The Barn
Qwest Field
Fenway

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

For the sake of the argument we'll remove all college teams though.

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

You're a fan, and I respect that. But here is where we disagree. You seem to be saying the Twins were good because they had a big home field edge. I'm saying the Twins were good at home because they were good. We'll have to agree to disagree. We'll see soon enough.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

You're a fan, and I respect that. But here is where we disagree. You seem to be saying the Twins were good because they had a big home field edge. I'm saying the Twins were good at home because they were good. We'll have to agree to disagree. We'll see soon enough.

I may be a fan, but my assumption is based on facts while yours is not. If you watched them play everyday in the dome, I'm shocked that you can't admit that it is a huge advantage. They were a completely different team in that dome than they were out of it. Once again, that point has been backed up by stats.

I think you'll be in for quite the surprise when they move outside this year, but GL because I learned a lot time ago to never count out those pesty twinkies.

DefenseWins

EOG Veteran

y-Boston 56-25 39-42
Tampa Bay 52-29 32-49
Toronto 44-37 31-50

Heres 3 from one Division. There you go. Case closed.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Yes disaster. It can snow there in May. They gave up the biggest home field advantage in sports.

munson15

I want winners...

Which Russ are you referring to, Mo? I think they had a significant advantage in the dome, but as a purist, I am thrilled to see it go. The Yankees have killed them in Minnesota for years, so from a selfish point of view, I should miss it, but I love open-air venues, and I hope that the Twins develop a new home-field edge at Target Field.

DefenseWins

EOG Veteran

Heres to you Timely.

Boston: 57-24 home 39-42 away
Tampa: 52-29 home 32-49 away
Detroit: 51-30 home 35-47 away
Texas: 48-33 home 39-42 away
Seattle: 48-33 home 37-44 away
San Fran: 52-29 home 36-45 away
Colorado: 51-30 home 41-40 away

All teams at least 15 games above 500 at home and right at or below 500 on the road last year. Any more facts that you would like?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

y-Boston 56-25 39-42
Tampa Bay 52-29 32-49
Toronto 44-37 31-50

Heres 3 from one Division. There you go. Case closed.

That's 1 year big guy and last year was a weird season for w/l home and away. Why don't you go back and look at the previous 5 years for all those teams, and none of them compare to the Twins. :thumbsup

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Heres to you Timely.

Boston: 57-24 home 39-42 away
Tampa: 52-29 home 32-49 away
Detroit: 51-30 home 35-47 away
Texas: 48-33 home 39-42 away
Seattle: 48-33 home 37-44 away
San Fran: 52-29 home 36-45 away
Colorado: 51-30 home 41-40 away

All teams at least 15 games above 500 at home and right at or below 500 on the road last year. Any more facts that you would like?

Please go back and look at those teams previous 5 year splits. As I said, last year was a funny year for H/A splits in baseball and the home field advantage was as big as ever.

Texas is another place that gains an advantage by their park. They had a huge advantage there. Let me know what you find. :cheers

Playoff teams do not tend to be terrible on the road and great at home, and that's what the Twins have been. Sorry that you've become with an argument I'm making once again, but I'm sure many would agree about the dome. 12io4j2w90

Hard to believe they didn't put a retractable roof on the new place.

trytrytry

All I do is trytrytry

its too bad we could not get a roof..we tried for years different votes, tax ideas, etc..just could not get it done..the twins felt they had to do something and that deal for this stadium was the best they could do...

ticket sales for 4-5 years will be sky high all months...people here will have to relearn how to prepare for a game, how to dress, what to bring, etc..

they will have the normal MLB home field advantage and be able to get more good players more often..

i was big time negative about this stadium, now that Ive seen it, and they have mauer for his career Im fine with it..new era but different...

I for one am delighted to see the dome and astroturf GONE.

Outdoor baseball and football was a staple in Minnesota for years and they had some damn fine teams there.

It's not the stadium, it's not the manager, IT'S THE PLAYERS that make a team win or lose.

BADCO

EOG Dedicated

The late play by play Bill King for Raiders,Warriors and A's refused to call the Metrodome a park he referred to it as a facility.

I can still remember Tony Oliva, Rod Carew and Harmon Kilebrew tearing up old Metropolitan Stadium.

Baseball fans should rejoice the occasion of outdoor ball returnting to the twin cities..

Bucky

EOG Dedicated

I know the Twins have had a good home record at the dome but they have also been bad on the road.

Consider this: maybe they will improve their ability to win on the road by playing on grass on their home field???

munson15

I want winners...

The late play by play Bill King for Raiders,Warriors and A's refused to call the Metrodome a park he referred to it as a facility.
Bill King was one of the all-time great play-by-play announcers. It doesn't surprise me that he would take a stand on something so artificial as the Humpty Dumpty Dome. Good riddance.:cheers

mr merlin

EOG Master

something like 47 out of the 81 home games are already sold out - they say all tickets will be gone early in the season. I live here, and yea the dome was an advantage...when it was full...most of the time it wasnt half full and we had no advantage (other than knowing how to pick up the ball in the roof). The full stadium will be a huge advantage this year, by the way, you guys really overstate our weather problems, we have been in the 70's the last 3 days and its not even april yet.

tickingclock1

EOG Veteran

See the records above. 91023i2ndw;l

It is the best advantage in sports and it has been for 10 years. They are a completely different team inside that dome.

longer than ten years check cards/twins World Series in 1987. Blowing the damn AC out when the home team was at bat. Blowing the AC the other way when away team was at bat.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

something like 47 out of the 81 home games are already sold out - they say all tickets will be gone early in the season. I live here, and yea the dome was an advantage...when it was full...most of the time it wasnt half full and we had no advantage (other than knowing how to pick up the ball in the roof). The full stadium will be a huge advantage this year, by the way, you guys really overstate our weather problems, we have been in the 70's the last 3 days and its not even april yet.

This post couldn't have been for real. The dome was an advantage because your team was built around it. :+clueless You had guys famously referred to as "Piranhas" by Ozzie Guillen who would just hit the ball into the turf and beat it out or have it bounce over the heads of others. You have great team speed that covered massive ground in that outfield, and could go 1st to 3rd better than any team in baseball.

The Twins mastered that turf and found a way to never make mistakes on it. This will be a drastic change.

You're also crazy about the weather. The weather is horrific in Chicago in April, but it was luckily 70 today but I know (and so do you) that it won't continue.

We'll see how good guys like Denard Span are outside of the dome. The guy stole 4 bases on the road and 19 at home. Guys like that make the Twins what they are, and moving outside will not help them. GL

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Yeah, they won't be able to turn the AC on to give there players an advantage.