Revisiting Kobe's 81 points- More impressive than Wilt?

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
I was reading about Wilt's 100-point game and found out that the last few minutes of the game became a foul fest and stopped being a real game.

--Philadelphia Warriors team was intentionally fouling the Knicks down the stretch in order to get Wilt the ball every time down court in a contest that was a 16-point game at the end of the first quarter.--

The pace was much faster those days, too. And, of course, Wilt was a dominant 7-2 center that was very difficult to guard. Let's face it, Wilt played against a bunch of chumps that couldn't do anything to him.

Then you take what Kobe did- in a playing field that's far more equal than the one in Wilt's era.

What do you guys think? Which performance is more impressive?

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Re: Revisiting Kobe's 81 points- More impressive than Wilt?

<table id="inlinetable" align="right" border="0" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1" width="249"><tbody><tr><th colspan="3" style="background-color: rgb(0, 0, 0);">Top 2 Scoring Games in NBA History</th> </tr><tr style="background-color: rgb(153, 153, 153);" valign="top"> <td width="75"> </td> <td width="75"> Wilt </td> <td width="75"> Kobe </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" valign="top"> <td width="75"> Date </td> <td width="75"> 3/2/62 </td> <td width="75"> 1/22/06 </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td width="75"> Points </td> <td width="75"> 100 </td> <td width="75"> 81 </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" valign="top"> <td width="75"> FG-FGA </td> <td width="75"> 36-63 </td> <td width="75"> 28-46 </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td width="75"> FT-FTA </td> <td width="75"> 28-32 </td> <td width="75"> 18-20 </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" valign="top"> <td width="75"> 2nd half </td> <td width="75"> 59 </td> <td width="75"> 55 </td> </tr> <tr style="background-color: rgb(236, 236, 236);" valign="top"> <td width="75"> Assists </td> <td width="75"> 2 </td> <td width="75"> 2 </td></tr></tbody></table>

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Abso-freaking-lutely Kobe's performance was more impressive. By a long shot.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Didnt Kobe rest the entire 4th quarter of that game? He could have had 100 if i remember correctly.

Also, Kobe actually had to shoot the ball in the basket, Wilt stood under the basket and placed it gently in the hole. Wilt was very good at placing things in holes.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

MUCH more impressive. I'm tired of the Wilt hype that I've been hearing my whole life.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Didnt Kobe rest the entire 4th quarter of that game? He could have had 100 if i remember correctly.

Also, Kobe actually had to shoot the ball in the basket, Wilt stood under the basket and placed it gently in the hole. Wilt was very good at placing things in holes.

Doubt it. He scored 28 points in the fourth. And he finally sat to chants of "MVP!" with under a minute remaining.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I'm surprised Wilt hit 28-of-32 from the line.

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

wilt changed the game. widened the lane. altered offensive goaltending.
he had to wait for the ball. kobe could gun whenever he wanted.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

I'm surprised Wilt hit 28-of-32 from the line.

Me, too - he was an AWFUL FT shooter - think Shaq and you have an idea

I am a diehard Lakers' fan so one might expect me to say Kobe - but the answer is Wilt. I don't care who he played to score 100 when NO ONE has come close is impressive and more impressive than Kobe. As for the game where Kobe scored 81 King got it right - he played until there were a few seconds left and actually the Lakers tried to take him out but there wasn't any dead balls to do it if I recall

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

Back in the 60's Wilt was a man against boys...he had his way in the paint and only Bill Russell could give him any trouble....

And the thing is that Wilt was not overly aggressive...he could have been better...it was just too easy....

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Yes, and the Raptors were actually up at the half.

Here is Kobe's 81-point game...

soli

EOG Dedicated

Kobe 81 was scored within the context of the game. He pretty much was scoring to keep them in the game and not to break a record.

Ace

EOG Veteran

wilt scoring 100 more impressive

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Kobe 81 was scored within the context of the game. He pretty much was scoring to keep them in the game and not to break a record.

Exactly. It makes it more impressive. Wilt's team was trying to get him to 100...it stopped being a competitive game.

bernardoincr

EOG Dedicated

VD-NATE THURMOND WAS NO SLOUCH. WALTER DUKES-JEJE.
REED WAS LIKKE A BARKLEY-SMALLER IN HEIGHT, WHAT 6'9'' BUT THICK
AS A MOUNTAIN. HOW ABOUT KAREEM, HEWAS PLAYING IN WILT'S TIME?
MUST BE MORE, CAN'T REMEMBER..

Apple

Banned

didn't Kobe have to play because it was a relatively close game vs. the Raptors?

Lakers were down by DDs in the 3rd.. Kobe single handily won the game..

kobe is by far the better performance, kareem said so too.,

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Wilt was also quoted, calling his 100-point game "a farce."

Kobe, no doubt. Eighty-one, in the current league (slower pace than in those days) is insane!

Apple

Banned

I mean the fact that a lot of Kobe's points were scored from shots that were taken 15-23ft away should dismiss any other argument.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

I mean the fact that a lot of Kobe's points were scored from shots that were taken 15-23ft away should dismiss any other argument.

Great point, Gyno. Wilt camped out under the rim. Kobe shot the ball. No contest.