PAC-10 is clearly the best football conference this season

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Re: PAC-10 is clearly the best football conference this season

Well, I know at least one poster who will agree with you.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Let's see what happens come bowl season. Pac-10 teams need better defense.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I respectfully disagree, Fishy. The SEC towers over every conference in NCAAF. Simply check the NFL Draft every season. No conference produces bigger, faster linemen than the SEC. I also like the running backs of the SEC. Auburn once featured Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams and Brandon Jacobs on the same roster.

JohnNetto

EOG Senior Member

I respectfully disagree, Fishy. The SEC towers over every conference in NCAAF. Simply check the NFL Draft every season. No conference produces bigger, faster linemen than the SEC. I also like the running backs of the SEC. Auburn once featured Ronnie Brown, Cadillac Williams and Brandon Jacobs on the same roster.
And I respectfully disagree with you JK within the context of this season versus previous years. Over the past five years there is undoubtedly no better conference than the SEC. However, this season has seen a Pac 10 conference which is its deepest in years, especially at the most coveted position, quarterback. Number one Oregon alone has two QB's who could start for most Div I teams in the conference. Jake Locker from Wash, Andrew Luck from Stanford, Foles from Arizona, Barkley from USC, and Katz from Oregon State. As Wash St has proven in recent weeks, Teams 1-10 every week in the Pac 10 schedule have the potential to be competitive and while Wash St is clearly the worst side, there is an unparalled amount of parity.
I do however want to call out the SEC on their non-conference schedule. Can anyone tell me the last time Florida played a non-conference game outside the South Eastern region? At least Tennessee has schedule some one-and-ones with Cal and Oregon in recent years, but this isn't a fair proxy. The addition of Utah and Colorado, a championship game, and a new TV deal should only contribute to this depth b/c right now we are comparing a 12 team conference vs. a 10 team conference...

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

What does all this have to do with 2010?

If you want to talk history, the BIG TEN is far, far, far and away the greatest football conference, ever.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

Not even close Fish. I'm very impressed with Oregon, usually not big on PAC 10 football but I'm starting to believe they're the real deal. Even with that being said the conference overall does not come close to the strength of the SEC. Once again they are the best conference, PAC 10 is not even close to having the same depth and/or quality of teams from top to bottom even if the Ducks did go on to win a title this year. One thing I give them is they would roll Boise this year IMO, fun team to watch. However the PAC 10 conference as a whole better than the SEC? Wrong, your evaluation is flawed.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

What does all this have to do with 2010?

If you want to talk history, the BIG TEN is far, far, far and away the greatest football conference, ever.

I'm talking recent history, not ancient history. To judge the 2010 season, I think it's fair to check the results of the past 3-5 years to see where the programs have been and where the programs are headed. Good offensive cycle for the Pac-10 right now, but the most talented players come from the SEC. Check the bowl records (SEC v Big 10) over the past five years. SEC is 14-5 in BCS games.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

SEC has won the last four National Championships...just probably a cycle, lol

I guess Oregon is looking for a little revenge from last year with Boise....

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

Yeah, UCLA and Washington State are looking solid this year. If anyone's trying to convice Fish that the SEC is better than the Big 10, give up. The only thing he holds holier than the Big 10 is Iowa. And Iowa farmland.

railbird

EOG Master

The NFL draft selections are dogshit, they couldnt figure out Max Hall was best qb available becuz he was Mountain West. Matthews,Magula,Cushing all lead their team in tackles last yr.

Pac 10 is best every yr.

railbird

EOG Master

SEC has won the last four National Championships...just probably a cycle, lol

I guess Oregon is looking for a little revenge from last year with Boise....

NONE of the 4 were won on MERIT. They were Political Popularity contests. USC was locked out like Barry Bonds.

railbird

EOG Master

I'm talking recent history, not ancient history. To judge the 2010 season, I think it's fair to check the results of the past 3-5 years to see where the programs have been and where the programs are headed. Good offensive cycle for the Pac-10 right now, but the most talented players come from the SEC. Check the bowl records (SEC v Big 10) over the past five years. SEC is 14-5 in BCS games.

cycle? you mean a 40 yr cycle?

Enfuego

EOG Dedicated

Guys, he said this year not the last 5 years. The SEC is not the best conference in college football this year. Top to bottom they just aren't as good.

Florida sucks, Georgia Sucks and Tennessee sucks. These are 3 teams that usually produce a ton of wins for the conference but this year they're down. As much as I hate to say it..I think it's the Big 10.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

Guys, he said this year not the last 5 years. The SEC is not the best conference in college football this year. Top to bottom they just aren't as good.

Florida sucks, Georgia Sucks and Tennessee sucks. These are 3 teams that usually produce a ton of wins for the conference but this year they're down. As much as I hate to say it..I think it's the Big 10.

The PAC 10 and BIG TEN should be even stronger next season with the additions of Utah and Nebraska .................

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

???

Patrick McIrish claimed two weeks ago that they were clearly a TOP TEN team in the country.

texansfan

EOG Master

SEC has 6 teams in the top 25. The SEC is the best conference year after year, that's a fact.

The PAC 10, thanks for the morning laugh.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

SEC has 6 teams in the top 25. The SEC is the best conference year after year, that's a fact.

The PAC 10, thanks for the morning laugh.

2010--PAC-10
LAST 10-15 YEARS---SEC
IN HISTORY---BIG TEN

......to be more precise, THE BIG TEN, SEC, PAC-10 are all very, very, very close this year in terms of which is the best conference(was a little dramatic saying the PAC-10 was clearly the best). I think anyone can make a case for any of the three conferences at this time being the best.

All three conferences are very proud conferences and all have great schools with great traditions........when you get right down to it, that's the bottom line.

texansfan

EOG Master

2010--PAC-10
LAST 10-15 YEARS---SEC
IN HISTORY---BIG TEN

......to be more precise, THE BIG TEN, SEC, PAC-10 are all very, very, very close this year in terms of which is the best conference(was a little dramatic saying the PAC-10 was clearly the best). I think anyone can make a case for any of the three conferences at this time being the best.

All three conferences are very proud conferences and all have great schools with great traditions........when you get right down to it, that's the bottom line.

I just like messing with that wingnut Railtard.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

I just like messing with that wingnut Railtard.

Railbird likes to stir the pot...........much like the majority of posters.

Most all posters are guilty of this at some point.

IT'S A FORUM

Also, I don't care who you are, a poster of a particular region is always going to be a little biased towards their hometurf...........some examples...........

FISHHEAD--MIDWEST
McFIDDLE--SOUTHEAST
RAIL---WEST COAST

Having said this, no fans in the country can top IOWA fans as a whole if taking loyality, partying, tailgating respectfulness, generosity, and knowledge of the game all into consideration as ONE.............:yay12io4j2w90

This is one reason I'm trying to get VEIJO DINO to a BCS game involving Iowa........of course, they may never happen again in my lifetime. EEEK!!

ArchieBunker

EOG Dedicated

NONE of the 4 were won on MERIT. They were Political Popularity contests. USC was locked out like Barry Bonds.

Nice comparison, Rail. BOTH USC and Bonds cheated and were caught. :LMAO

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

Many do not know this, but poster ARCHIEBUNKER is named after the great BIG TEN RB from OSU.......ARCHIE GRIFFEN, two-time Heisman winner.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

It can definately be argued that Pac 10 is the best top to bottom this year. Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona, Arizona St, Washington, Stanford and USC are all good and competitive. Not sure any other conference can go 7 deep.

texansfan

EOG Master

It can definately be argued that Pac 10 is the best top to bottom this year. Oregon, Oregon St, Arizona, Arizona St, Washington, Stanford and USC are all good and competitive. Not sure any other conference can go 7 deep.

Well, the SEC has 6 in the top 25, I'm sure there's a 7th team in that conference as well that's decent. Does the PAC-10 have 6 teams in the top 25?

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Well, the SEC has 6 in the top 25, I'm sure there's a 7th team in that conference as well that's decent. Does the PAC-10 have 6 teams in the top 25?

I understand that, but having watched SEC football this year, do you really think LSU is a top 10 team? There is no doubt that the SEC is down this year and much of their rankings are based on an SEC aura. Of course, we never really know how good the SEC really is on a yearly basis because they dont play anyone of substance in September so we can only base things on reputation. This great conference does not do a great job of showing how great they are during the bowl season.

rayray

EOG Dedicated

its threads like this one that convince me that fishhead just wants attention, be it good or bad... pac-10... this year ??? come the fuck on... it doesnt even deserve a response its so stupid... so does he just create these threads knowing he will get bashed for being a moron? its so 5stardunce its scary... beginning to think they might be related

oh and railturd... bama going undefeated and winning the title last year wasnt on merit??? jaysus frickin christ...

i feel like a damn 5 yr old after reading posts from you tubesocks.

texansfan

EOG Master

I understand that, but having watched SEC football this year, do you really think LSU is a top 10 team? There is no doubt that the SEC is down this year and much of their rankings are based on an SEC aura. Of course, we never really know how good the SEC really is on a yearly basis because they dont play anyone of substance in September so we can only base things on reputation. This great conference does not do a great job of showing how great they are during the bowl season.

It can be argued that there's only one bowl game that matters. What't the SEC's record in the BCS title game? I'm not even a fan of the SEC, but they are the best year in and year out without question.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

The SEC is down this year, but still by far the best conference in the nation.

Auburn vs. Stanford
Alabama v. Oregon
LSU vs. USC
South Carolina vs. Arizona
Arkansas vs. Cal
Florida vs. ASU
Miss. St. Washington
Kentucky vs. Oregon State
Vandy vs. Wazzou

Top 4 games COULD go either way. The rest are all SEC except MAYBE Vanderbilt.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Last bowl season, Pac-10 teams were 2-5.

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

It can be argued that there's only one bowl game that matters. What't the SEC's record in the BCS title game? I'm not even a fan of the SEC, but they are the best year in and year out without question.

Having the best team in the country and having the best conference are completely separate things.

JohnNetto

EOG Senior Member

The SEC is down this year, but still by far the best conference in the nation.

Auburn vs. Stanford
Alabama v. Oregon
LSU vs. USC
South Carolina vs. Arizona
Arkansas vs. Cal
Florida vs. ASU
Miss. St. Washington
Kentucky vs. Oregon State
Vandy vs. Wazzou

Top 4 games COULD go either way. The rest are all SEC except MAYBE Vanderbilt.
You are comparing a 12 team SEC vs. a 10 team Pac 10 and Oregon State would house Kentucky. I think this shows how deep the Pac 10 is. The two extra teams from the SEC make this comparison a tough one. The coming years with a 12 on 12 format will make things easier to compare...

pvcpipe

EOG Master

You are comparing a 12 team SEC vs. a 10 team Pac 10 and Oregon State would house Kentucky. I think this shows how deep the Pac 10 is. The two extra teams from the SEC make this comparison a tough one. The coming years with a 12 on 12 format will make things easier to compare...

I value your opinion. But I watched both Oregon State and Kentucky play Louisville. While I don't give huge credence to "common denominator" evaluations, I think Kentucky gets that win.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

JohnNetto;3008831[B said:
]You are comparing a 12 team SEC vs. a 10 team Pac 10[/B] and Oregon State would house Kentucky. I think this shows how deep the Pac 10 is. The two extra teams from the SEC make this comparison a tough one. The coming years with a 12 on 12 format will make things easier to compare...

EXACTLY!!!!!

texansfan

EOG Master

I believe thatFishhead is the one making comparison between the conferences, throwing in the two extra team argument doesn't wash. The point he made was the PAC-10 is the best conference, something I disagree with.

If he wants to add disclaimers to his argument then they should be added in the original post.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Not sure if your question was rhetorical in nature, but the SEC is 6-0 in BCS title games, while the Pac-10 has never won a BCS national championship after USC's victory was vacated.

texansfan

EOG Master

Not sure if your question was rhetorical in nature, but the SEC is 6-0 in BCS title games, while the Pac-10 has never won a BCS national championship after USC's victory was vacated.

Yes it was. Nick gave a record regrading the SEC's record is bowl games, my reply was there's only really one bowl game that matters, the BCS title game.

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

The 2010 SEC out of conference schedule this year is a joke, and they should be punished in the rankings for it. Real tough to rack up wins with:

La-Monroe (3) Parentheses meaning 3 teams scheduled them this year
UL-Lafayette (2)
UAB (2)
Memphis (2)
App. St.
Idaho St.
Charleston Southern
Furman
UT Martin
Alcorn St.
Mcneese St.
Jacksonville St.
Arkansas St.
UT Chatanooga
Tennessee Tech
Troy
Western Kentucky
Akron
Miami of Ohio
Eastern Michigan
Southern Miss
UTEP
San Jose St.
Fresno St.
Tulane
Houston

Got to give them credit for these power houses from BCS conferences:
South Florida
Uconn
Wake Forest
Duke
Northwestern
North Carolina
Louisville
Colorado
Northwestern
Penn St.

You guys go ahead and look to play them in bowl games this season.....I'll be fading this conference and the embarrassment that was their out of conference scheduling.