PAC-10 is clearly the best football conference this season

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: PAC-10 is clearly the best football conference this season

I dislike the conservative scheduling, too, but I don't hold it against the teams when evaluating the talent in the SEC, and neither do the NFL scouts.

JohnNetto

EOG Senior Member

I value your opinion. But I watched both Oregon State and Kentucky play Louisville. While I don't give huge credence to "common denominator" evaluations, I think Kentucky gets that win.
You saw Oregon St play Louisville between playing two enormous road games at TCU and before playing at Boise St. Oregon State was a 19 point favorite in this game and we all know Mike Riley's coaching record for Oregon St in October is 11-2 the last 3 years ( two losses were at USC losing by 8, and last week at Washington losing by 1). Oregon State was not looking to win a beauty contest in the game against Louisville and got the win, however, unimpressive it may have looked...

JohnNetto

EOG Senior Member

The 2010 SEC out of conference schedule this year is a joke, and they should be punished in the rankings for it. Real tough to rack up wins with:

La-Monroe (3) Parentheses meaning 3 teams scheduled them this year
UL-Lafayette (2)
UAB (2)
Memphis (2)
App. St.
Idaho St.
Charleston Southern
Furman
UT Martin
Alcorn St.
Mcneese St.
Jacksonville St.
Arkansas St.
UT Chatanooga
Tennessee Tech
Troy
Western Kentucky
Akron
Miami of Ohio
Eastern Michigan
Southern Miss
UTEP
San Jose St.
Fresno St.
Tulane
Houston

Got to give them credit for these power houses from BCS conferences:
South Florida
Uconn
Wake Forest
Duke
Northwestern
North Carolina
Louisville
Colorado
Northwestern
Penn St.

You guys go ahead and look to play them in bowl games this season.....I'll be fading this conference and the embarrassment that was their out of conference scheduling.
I couldn't agree with you more...but as handicappers a lot more goes into the equation than what someone's out of conference schedule was in September when deciding how to play a bowl game in January...Net-net though, you are championing my point and many others about why we need a true playoff in college football. Does anyone really think USC shouldn't have been playing for the title game against LSU instead of Ohio St?

JohnNetto

EOG Senior Member

I dislike the conservative scheduling, too, but I don't hold it against the teams when evaluating the talent in the SEC, and neither do the NFL scouts.
You don't as a handicapper, but the voters should when it comes to the rankings...That schedule is embarrassing...

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

Where are you getting your numbers from?
Texas, Miami, and USC should get auto births to the BCS championship game if this is what we're going by.

High Times

EOG Master

The big 10 is a joke this year.

Only 1 team should even be in the top 20. The rest are average to bad!

Big ten :LMAO

And list the teams they (big ten) played out of conference. Now that is a joke

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

Big 10 out of conference schedule is awful as well.

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

Patrick McIrish claimed two weeks ago that they were clearly a TOP TEN team in the country.

And you claimed to be a multimillionaire that drove a cab in Vegas just for the hell of it. Come on Fish, what I said was if the Gators played in the Big 10/Pac 10 they probably would still be a top 10 team. I said they were down this year, losing perhaps the best college QB in the history of the game would tell you that, but they can still play with almost anyone in the weaker conferences. The SEC knocks each other off this year as a result of parity and suddenly all these homers are out talking about how their conference is better.

As for their nonconference schedule OF COURSE the SEC isn't going to push the envelope, when you play against the best teams in the nation you don't need to prove anything like schools that play almost nothing but in-conference patsies. When you take the SEC you earn it, all the pollsters are aware of that, why try and prove yourself in September when you don't have to? Also there is no more physical of a conference than the SEC, again you can't go out and pound the shit out of your team before you play Alabama, LSU, Auburn, SC, Florida, Arkansas, Ole Miss and so on, of course they play some patsies before the big boys tee it up.

I respect the conference loyalty stuff but you aren't paying attention if you can't see SEC from top to bottom is far and away the best conference in college football. The only debate in any of this should be who's #2.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Big 10 out of conference schedule is awful as well.

The Big Ten loves to bully the poor MAC teams. I think it's a regional thing with SEC and Big Ten scheduling. Avoid the road trips, if possible. Why chance a loss to Boise State or TCU? There's no upside.

I credit the Pac-10 for its non-conference scheduling and its nine-game conference schedule. I also recognize the great improvement in California high school football over the past decade or so. California is now right there with Texas and Florida as the elite states to produce football talent.

Of the 12,853 players on FBS rosters last season, 1,714 (13 percent) came from Texas. Two cities - Dallas and Houston - produce one-fourth of all Big 12 players

High Times

EOG Master

The Big Ten loves to bully the poor MAC teams. I think it's a regional thing with SEC and Big Ten scheduling. Avoid the road trips, if possible. Why chance a loss to Boise State or TCU? There's no upside.

I credit the Pac-10 for its non-conference scheduling and its nine-game conference schedule. I also recognize the great improvement in California high school football over the past decade or so. California is now right there with Texas and Florida as the elite states to produce football talent.

Sharp post