DANDY DON MEREDITH DIES AT AGE 72

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
Early Cowboys star, MNF pioneer Meredith dies at 72

CBSSports.com wire reports
Dec. 6, 2010
SANTA FE, N.M. -- Former Dallas Cowboys quarterback Don Meredith has died in Santa Fe after suffering a brain hemorrhage and lapsing into a coma on Sunday. He was 72.

Meredith's wife, Susan, confirmed the former football star's death. She says a private graveside ceremony is being planned and that family members are traveling to Santa Fe.

Meredith played for the Cowboys from 1960-1968, becoming the starting quarterback in 1965. While he never led the Cowboys to the Super Bowl, Meredith was one of the franchise's first stars.

Over his nine-year career, Meredith threw for 17,199 yards and 135 touchdowns. He retired unexpectedly before the 1969 season.
<!-- / message -->

munson15

I want winners...
Re: DANDY DON MEREDITH DIES AT AGE 72

Dandy Don was a classic on Monday Night Football, the times he would crack Howard Cosell and Cosell wouldn't even realize it were priceless. I also remember him for one of the great moments in Oakland Raider history. Meredith was the analyst in the "Sea of Hands" game in 1974 when Oakland dethroned Miami in a tremendous playoff game. Curt Gowdy has the call, and in the background, Meredith is heard yelling "he caught it, he caught it!" as Clarence Davis clutched the game-winner to his chest in the endzone.

The man was a classic, both on and off the field. His Monday Night Football announcing led to a pretty good career in Television. I loved his laid back approach. It was such a sharp contrast to Cosell's lawyer like approach that it made Monday Night Football the highlight of the week. It was "must see" T.V. R.I.P Dandy Don.

Blackcloud

EOG Dedicated

The man was a classic, both on and off the field. His Monday Night Football announcing led to a pretty good career in Television. I loved his laid back approach. It was such a sharp contrast to Cosell's lawyer like approach that it made Monday Night Football the highlight of the week. It was "must see" T.V. R.I.P Dandy Don.

Agree 100% JYD. Those were the good old days of MNF.

rainbow

EOG Master

Don Meredith, Frank Gifford, and Howard Cosell were the best days for Monday night football for me... Turn out the lights the party is over...RIP Don Meredith...

newport2

EOG Dedicated

My favorite "Dandy Don" line was during a Raider-Houston game in the Astrodome. Houston was down 0-38, and George Webster hung the "finger" to the cameraman. Dandy said, "well I guess ole George still thinks Houston is #1!

carolinakid

Banned

Always love Dandy Don here and he was on mnf when it was great and you made sure to be in front of the tv, unlike today monday nites games ck RIP

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Not my style, but I appreciate his fun-loving ways. "Turn out the lights..." was classic Dandy Don.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

I thought he paid no attention to the game, but he was a friendly clown compared to the acerbic Cosell.

lordjeff

EOG Enthusiast

my favorite DD memory focuses on a frigid mnf contest at Penns franklin field where the roof provided most of the cover for the tv booth cossell apparently reviewed his game notes at smokey joe's, a penn campus watering hole, because he showed up for the game dressed for a winter on the russian steppes,well lubricated as the temperature plunged during the first half, cossell's sycophantic rants escalated DD responded with a well timed sequence of sarcastic barbs cossell's absence in the booth for the second half was alluded to only once said DD "i guess the weather got to ole Howard"

Great stuff guys.

My favorite is when Frank Gifford says .....Fair Hooker makes the catch for the Browns.

Meredith replies "I have never met a hooker that was fair." lol

Frank laughs

howid

EOG Dedicated

loved the mnf booth with him, cosell and gifford. when he left to pursue an acting career a few times the broadcast
suffered, it was always a treat when he would return.

rip.