If someone owed you $1100 what would you do?

2 years ago a guy made a few friendly bets with me, no vigs involved, just friendly wagers. Well they started out at $50 then went to $100. He lost every bet and owed me $1100. He wound up quitting his job and ducking me for 2 years. Well not really ducking me cause I just let it go and never looked for him or the money. Now last week he gets stabbed multiple times by a guy and girl robbing him. Do I go visit him in the hospital being I no where he is now,lol. But no I won't cause I let it go and don't want the money. They are saying he was robbed on a Saturday morning at 9am,lol. I am thinking he owed money to them, otherwise why would someone go to a guys house at 9am and stab him multiple times Looks like a girl in her twenties stabbed him while her boyfriend in his 50's robbed him is what the papers are saying. I say gambling or drug related. Just was wondering what you would do? Glad they caught the people involved cause noone deserves to have that happen to them.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master
Re: If someone owed you $1100 what would you do?

If he is a friend, then I would go visit him....

I have friends that owe me more...

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Would never speak to him again.

Had a friend that ended up owing me money and never paid. Realized he has no integrity and isn't really a friend so I've never spoken to him again. That's not the kind if friend I want to have. I tried to get the money at the time and scared him shitless getting up in his face about it, but wasn't successful and haven't tried since.

CHIHUAHUA

EOG Veteran

2 years ago a guy made a few friendly bets with me, no vigs involved, just friendly wagers. Well they started out at $50 then went to $100. He lost every bet and owed me $1100. He wound up quitting his job and ducking me for 2 years. Well not really ducking me cause I just let it go and never looked for him or the money. Now last week he gets stabbed multiple times by a guy and girl robbing him. Do I go visit him in the hospital being I no where he is now,lol. But no I won't cause I let it go and don't want the money. They are saying he was robbed on a Saturday morning at 9am,lol. I am thinking he owed money to them, otherwise why would someone go to a guys house at 9am and stab him multiple times Looks like a girl in her twenties stabbed him while her boyfriend in his 50's robbed him is what the papers are saying. I say gambling or drug related. Just was wondering what you would do? Glad they caught the people involved cause noone deserves to have that happen to them.

John Quinones at ABC's 20/20 might be interested in that topic for their series on 20/20's "What would you do?"

patswin

EOG Veteran

depends on how much you need that money. Sounds like you already had written it off in your mind that you would never collect. It might not be worth the hassle to try and get money you may never see. This guy has other troubles now that may hinder you in ever collecting

Real friends would settle each other's debts, or at least acknowledge on a somewhat regular basis that they have not forgotten. Sounds like this guy dissed you. If it were me, it would be a tough choice to visit him or not. If you do, you should tell him that you are forgetting the debt, but don't ever "lend" money to him or anyone ever again.

pvcpipe

EOG Master

If you have resentment over it, do what you need to do for you, not for him or the friendship.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

I wouldn't visit him, but that's not important. A bigger concern is that if this guy was recently stabbed, supposedly over a debt, why would you post something online about him owing you money? Haven't people been attacked before by a perpetrator who may have been hired by someone who held a grudge??? I would keep my thoughts private.

I wouldn't visit him, but that's not important. A bigger concern is that if this guy was recently stabbed, supposedly over a debt, why would you post something online about him owing you money? Haven't people been attacked before by a perpetrator who may have been hired by someone who held a grudge??? I would keep my thoughts private.

My reason is "KARMA". I wrote that debt off soon after he quit and didn't respond to a couple phone calls. Never expected any money from him then or now. this guy is NOT a friend only knew him a couple weeks and he was obviously a gambler and so am I and he wanted to bet a couple games with me without a bookie being involved. He did lose $200 and paid me then he went crazy and lost and didn't pay. I wrote it off in my mind, was wondering what others would do? Maybe I should've made him pay and scare him this way IF he had to pay do to a gambling debt he might have thought twice about doing so again. My guess he kept doing his thing and got caught up with someone who didn't let it go. Thats just my opinion.

newport2

EOG Dedicated

I'm pissed you didn't post his picks. Just saying......

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Collect the debt. I say you go to the hospital and take another stab at it.

I'm pissed you didn't post his picks. Just saying......

lol, this was actually 3 years ago, i know I posted 2 years in the beginning of this thread but the more I think about it , it was much closer to 3 years ago. Just weird how I was reading the paper and I read how a guy was robbed at 9am Saturday morning and stabbed multiple times to find out its the same guy.

spesh

EOG Member

You in NY ? I just read this in paper on Sunday..LOL

Goddamn stiffs. I deal with this crap at work, too. I will absolutely no longer work on a client's file without an upfront retainer fee. Otherwise, I get "oh, can we push back my next scheduled payment?" b.s. all the time. It's sickening. Doesn't anyone pay their debts anymore these days?

I say go visit the guy and tell him on no uncertain terms you will get paid, whether you have to schedule a payment plan with him or not. Let him know it's not going to just disappear, that he can pay you a lousy $100 every other week until this gets resolved.

sounds like it was a pimp and his Ho.If thats the case,get your money and a cool hat.

Goddamn stiffs. I deal with this crap at work, too. I will absolutely no longer work on a client's file without an upfront retainer fee. Otherwise, I get "oh, can we push back my next scheduled payment?" b.s. all the time. It's sickening. Doesn't anyone pay their debts anymore these days?

I say go visit the guy and tell him on no uncertain terms you will get paid, whether you have to schedule a payment plan with him or not. Let him know it's not going to just disappear, that he can pay you a lousy $100 every other week until this gets resolved.

I was thinking to see if I could get a payment plan as to even $50 a week but said forget it. Then I would have to see him every week and he'll want to bet again, this was a lesson to me as well. At the time he split I was going to sell the debt but didn't and just let it go.

Collect the debt. I say you go to the hospital and take another stab at it.

Kinger you are always thinking, but I will pass on this one. Poor bastard obviously owes more than just me. I don't want to even see him cause I'm the type of guy even if he owes me $1100 I would probably lend him money to pay the people who would hurt him.

spesh

EOG Member

CostcoCousteau
spesh = stabber.

mystery solved.

Unfortunately for this case...im not 56

Buskie

EOG Veteran

Be glad it was only $1100,most people don't stand by their word and that just doesn't mean in gambling understand that about this person and be the bigger man

I am just glad they caught the idiots who did this to him. If they didn't the detectives would've asked him if he has any enemies or owes any money out and would want their names,lol. Been there before, an ex girlfriend had it out for me and owned a business which had all the windows busted out one night. 2 detectives and a local cop had me in the interragation room for 3 hours grilling me about this. They almost had me believing that I did it. Thank god I had proof where I was at the time this happened. Bottom line is what goes around comes around.

I've been fucked by so many so called friends I don't even keep track anymore.

CHIHUAHUA

EOG Veteran

The way I see it, you are up $200. He could really use that money right about now.

Why did you not collect your money when you won? Why did you let it build up so much. You are never going to collect, so you may as well forget about that, and him. When I make wagers with friends, we always settle the next time we see each other after the game is over. Allowing things to build up is just begging to be screwed. Just drop the whole thing. You cannot collect legally, so you have no recourse.

joe blow

EOG Addicted

Call him on the phone and ask him anything you want.At the end of the conversation hit him with "You got my money?"When he saids no ,try to set him up with some kind of payoff...say $300 a month?

Why did you not collect your money when you won? Why did you let it build up so much. You are never going to collect, so you may as well forget about that, and him. When I make wagers with friends, we always settle the next time we see each other after the game is over. Allowing things to build up is just begging to be screwed. Just drop the whole thing. You cannot collect legally, so you have no recourse.

Honestly I felt bad for the guy so I told him we'll settle on a Friday after he paid me the first $200 on a Friday. Then he lost 6 days straight. That Friday he told me he would pay tomorrow as he gets paid then. I fell for it, well he got paid Friday and never went back to work. Just found out the 22 year old girl who stabbed him is a known prostitute, figures.