Pretty good week for Boston fans.....

Celtics destory the Nets....SOX get Gonzo for AAA or less players....and the Pats....shut the fat bastard up...winning by 6 TD's....

and for me....my Steelers beat the Ravens.....:houra

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: Pretty good week for Boston fans.....

Adrian Gonzalez should appreciate the switch from Petco to Fenway.

BEANTOWNJIM

Banned

HE WONT ENJOY IT EARLY IN THE SEASON JOHNNY BOY.THE RED SOX PLAY SOME GAMES IN APRIL WHERE IT IS 45 DEGREES AND COLD AND I KNOW ADRIAN PROBABLY LIKES IT HOT.12io4j2w90

I JUST HOPE HE CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURE OF PLAYING IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST AND HE ISNT ANOTHER J.D. DREW

focker

EOG Veteran

Celtics destory the Nets....SOX get Gonzo for AAA or less players....and the Pats....shut the fat bastard up...winning by 6 TD's....

and for me....my Steelers beat the Ravens.....:houra

Jed Hoyer drafted all these guys himself as he was the assistant GM to Theo at that time. He knows these 3 prospects. The kid Kelly has been compared to Zack Greinke. There are only 4-5 teams that can afford to pay 22 mill a year to a guy into his mid 30s, so I would say the Padres did good. Time will tell....

focker...i know who these guys are...but i have heard the same shit about michael bowden and lars anderson....show me some real stats...a-gone has...he is a top 10 mlb player and in this line-up the sky is the limit.

as for kelly...he got rocker at aa lowell last year and lots of folks have him as a 3 or 4 man at best in the rotation...hoyer got some good players no doubt...but he didn't get ellsbury or bard...and i am fine with that...

let's go sox!!

BEANTOWNJIM

Banned

THEY SHOULD HAVE THROWN IN PAPPLEBAUM HIS DAYS IN BOSTON ARE JUST ABOUT OVER ESPECIALLY AFTER LAST SEASON 2938u4ji23

BTJ...this will be his last season with the SOX...if he makes it through the winter...

ProfaneReality

EOG Dedicated

Boston fans have a tendency to over-hype their acquisitions... top 10 player is a big big reach I can name 8 position players in the NL alone that you would have a hard time arguing against being better than Gonzalez...and thats just in the NL.. not even bringing up pitchers, or the AL

Pujols
Holiday
Utley
Howard
Votto
Braun
C. Gonzalez
Tulowitzki

and... I could include Fielder and Hanley Ramirez...but those weren't as clear cut as the ones above

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

HE WONT ENJOY IT EARLY IN THE SEASON JOHNNY BOY.THE RED SOX PLAY SOME GAMES IN APRIL WHERE IT IS 45 DEGREES AND COLD AND I KNOW ADRIAN PROBABLY LIKES IT HOT.12io4j2w90

I JUST HOPE HE CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURE OF PLAYING IN THE AMERICAN LEAGUE EAST AND HE ISNT ANOTHER J.D. DREW

Good point, JIMMY BOY.

focker

EOG Veteran

focker...i know who these guys are...but i have heard the same shit about michael bowden and lars anderson....show me some real stats...a-gone has...he is a top 10 mlb player and in this line-up the sky is the limit.

as for kelly...he got rocker at aa lowell last year and lots of folks have him as a 3 or 4 man at best in the rotation...hoyer got some good players no doubt...but he didn't get ellsbury or bard...and i am fine with that...

let's go sox!!

the reality of it is when a guy is going to be a free agent the next year you really take what you can get. Who knows if the kids ever make the bigs, but I remember when SD traded CHP for chris young and the unknown adrian gonzales and everyone was like "who is this guy"

fenway is a hard place for lefties to hit HRs, thats why Mo Vaughn, aka big papi hits more on the road.....

what the redsox need to address is their trash pen, as we all know pitching (SF giants) wins championships

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

welcome Carl Crawford.

these non Red Sox teams sicken me with their cheap spending ways. Next, I think Red Sox should trade Dice-K and a couple prospects to Rays for David Price and then sign free agent Cliff Lee as a long reliever.

rjt721

EOG Master

Boston fans have a tendency to over-hype their acquisitions... top 10 player is a big big reach I can name 8 position players in the NL alone that you would have a hard time arguing against being better than Gonzalez...and thats just in the NL.. not even bringing up pitchers, or the AL

Pujols
Holiday
Utley
Howard
Votto
Braun
C. Gonzalez
Tulowitzki

and... I could include Fielder and Hanley Ramirez...but those weren't as clear cut as the ones above
Putting Howard ahead of A-Gone is funny.

Hanley is better than every player on that list but Pujols.

Just Win Baby

EOG Enthusiast

The Red Sox still have Beckett,Dice-K and Lackey and a bad bullpen.They led the majors in runs scored last season who cares.

BEANTOWNJIM

Banned

WHAT THE F-CK THEY JUST PICKED UP CARL CRAWFORD.I AM NOT A CARL CRAWFORD FAN I THINK HE IS GOING TO BE A BUST FOR 160 MILLION.

WHAT THE F-CK ARE THE RED SOX DOING THEY NOW HAVE A BIGGER PAYROLL THAN THE YANKEES

I DO NOT LIKE CARL CRAWFORD HE DOESNT HIT FOR A GOOD AVERAGE AND HE MIGHT BE A CANCER IN THE CLUBHOUSE

turn out the lights the parties over....SOX win the division for the next 3 to 5 years and 2 world championships....

ellsbury
pedrioa
crawford
gonzo
youk
ortiz
drew
scutaro/lowry
salty/tek

that is a fine line up and they make the staff 5x better!!

the glue

EOG Veteran

Gonzo and Crawford and more pitching on the way...

I love it...

BOSOX

rickdee

EOG Senior Member

If one more Yankee fan tells me today that Crawford is a bad signing i might pee myself... Here they are signing a 37 year old SS and trying to wine and dine a 32 year old pitcher who will receive 23 million when he is 39 years old... Crawford to Boston- Suck on that NY!

rickdee

EOG Senior Member

WHAT THE F-CK THEY JUST PICKED UP CARL CRAWFORD.I AM NOT A CARL CRAWFORD FAN I THINK HE IS GOING TO BE A BUST FOR 160 MILLION.

WHAT THE F-CK ARE THE RED SOX DOING THEY NOW HAVE A BIGGER PAYROLL THAN THE YANKEES

I DO NOT LIKE CARL CRAWFORD HE DOESNT HIT FOR A GOOD AVERAGE AND HE MIGHT BE A CANCER IN THE CLUBHOUSE

Cancer in the clubhouse and doesnt hit for good average? The guy is a career 300 hitter- how much better do you want?Just because he isnt white don't hate!

crawford is a major win....yankees wanted him and crawford wanted to play for the sox...lots of folks want to be there now....
and maybe this sends lee back to texas....

as for crawford....he is a career .296 avg. and is never in trouble....his old coach said he is pleasure to coach....don't listen to beaner...he doesn't even like the sox!!:LMAO

yankees are gonna pay 200m for lee!!

don't forget...cc..burnett..tex....

the sox loss 90m off of their payroll in next 2 years even with these deals....and i don't think they are done yet!!

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

Sox are by far the best team in baseball right now, it's not even close on paper. But paying $20MM per year to a guy who will be in late 30s for half the contract and makes a living with legs will not be a good long term investment. I suspect he'll be great for the next 3-4 years, then not so much.

the glue

EOG Veteran

Isnt good, are you kidding....

Great no...Good yes...

They will be in the post season

You guys been eat retard sandwichs or something?

PALMTREE......Crawford is 29 years old and wont be 30 until Aug....in the 7th year of his contract he will turn 36 in Aug....when he is in his late 30's he will be playing with another team...and don't look for him to be stealing a ton of bases in Fenway batting in front of GONZO...

Costco....they have 2 of the top 10 pitchers in the AL....Lester [19-9 @3.25] and Buchholtz [17-7 @2.78] Lackey is a very good #3, Dice-K won 9 games in half a season and Beckett was hurt, but I'll take him as my #5 over any #5 in MLB!! Throw Wakefield in as a spot starter and you have 6 guys who could win 10+ games and 2 that could win 20+ behind that line up!!

focker

EOG Veteran

You guys been eat retard sandwichs or something?

PALMTREE......Crawford is 29 years old and wont be 30 until Aug....in the 7th year of his contract he will turn 36 in Aug....when he is in his late 30's he will be playing with another team...and don't look for him to be stealing a ton of bases in Fenway batting in front of GONZO...

Costco....they have 2 of the top 10 pitchers in the AL....Lester [19-9 @3.25] and Buchholtz [17-7 @2.78] Lackey is a very good #3, Dice-K won 9 games in half a season and Beckett was hurt, but I'll take him as my #5 over any #5 in MLB!! Throw Wakefield in as a spot starter and you have 6 guys who could win 10+ games and 2 that could win 20+ behind that line up!!

boston had the 21st worst pitching staff last year......

ProfaneReality

EOG Dedicated

Putting Howard ahead of A-Gone is funny.

Hanley is better than every player on that list but Pujols.

How is putting Howard ahead of him funny ?

both with 7 seasons...

Howard .279 Gonzalez .284
Howard 253 HRs Gonzalez 168
Howard 748 rbi Gonzalez 525
Howard .572 slugging Gonzalez .507
Howard .944 ops Gonzalez .875

Gonzalez has never eclipsed 120 RBI's.... Howard has only had less than 120 once in the last 5 years

I guess those 5 batting avg points are the difference for you.

cost of living plus taxes is a big turn off in new york.
Id go to a place that didnt have taxes and my dollar went alot further.

boston had the 21st worst pitching staff last year......

well this is 2011...and we all know the middle relief sucked last season and injuries to the staff hurt them last year....dice-k and beckett were out for the majority of the season...buchholtz got hurt running bases...and okky gave up 4 or 5 by himself...i look for the staff to be much better this season...theo is working on the bullpen as we speak...

rjt721

EOG Master

both with 7 seasons...

Gonzalez has never eclipsed 120 RBI's.... Howard has only had less than 120 once in the last 5 years

Look at the difference in ballparks. Howard plays half his games in one of the best hitters parks in the game. Gonzalez is stuck playing at Petco, far and away the best pitcher's park in baseball, particularly for left-handed power hitters.

The RBI argument is silly. Howard's spent his career with guys like Rollins, Utley and Victorino hitting in front of him. Gonzalez has had what -- Jerry Hairston and David Eckstein? Slight difference I'd say. Tough to drive in runs when no one gets on base and you have no protection in the lineup.

Over the last 3 years, Howard has had 111 more at bats with RISP than Gonzalez.

Gonzalez's road splits the last few years blow Howard away.

Howard is annually among the league leaders in strikeouts and is a disaster defensively. Gonzalez is a Gold Glove 1B.

Yes, they're not close.

both with 7 seasons...

you might want to look at the team surrounding the 2 players over those years and while you are at it check out the dimensions of petco field which is hugh park

PalmTree

EOG Dedicated

You paid $142MM for a corner outfielder that has never hit 20 HR in a season or knocked in 100 runs. His career OBP is under .340. His game is his legs. What is your point?

rjt721

EOG Master

Probably that they're the best team in baseball because of it.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

Theo has made two very sharp moves. Getting Gonzalez for 3 players who were not even close to the majors yet is stealing. Signing Crawford is a good use of funds. He is hitting his prime this year and was calculated to be worth $25 million a year last two years based on his production.

Red Sox have targets and spend money wisely. skankees just carpet bomb and outspend everyone

Theo is having a tremendous winter.

Hello Tony 12io4j2w90

I cannot find that thread You make every year before season stars.
It about ours projection who will win diviiions, league and WS.

Thank You :yay

focker

EOG Veteran

Best team on paper, best moves in winter......pitching still stinks

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Best team on paper, best moves in winter......pitching still stinks
See the 2006 White Sox and 2007 Tigers as two teams that were "The best in baseball on paper" and failed to reach the playoffs.