My Friday blog

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Gambling serious money on sporting events is a full-time job without the benefits of stock options, expense accounts, insurance coverage, vacation time or overtime pay. Furthermore, a paycheck is not guaranteed unless gamblers isolate significantly more winners than losers.

To offset the house edge, a sports bettor laying odds of 11-10 is required to record a winning rate of 52.38%.

Let's suppose a gambler makes approximately three plays a day over the course of the year. After 1,000 plays, his hypothetical record stands at 524 wins against 476 losses. Does the gambler win, lose or break even?

Answer: our gambler loses. And loses big.

He has spent an entire year of his life not earning a single dollar. Forty-eight games over the .500 mark in a sample of 1,000 plays is unacceptable.

The 11-10 vigorish, providing the house a 4.54% edge, is not the only obstacle facing a sports bettor. Four other hurdles must be cleared before sports bettors turn a profit.

Here's a list of the four human opponents a sports bettor must defeat to conquer the world of 11-10:

1.) The oddsmaker...Your evaluation of a team's ability level must be sharper than the oddsmaker's opinion of the same team. Oddsmakers are not all-knowing. Respect the oddsmaker, but don't fear the oddsmaker.

2.) The bookmaker...A discriminating gambler patronizes establishments that offer players a chance to gamble and win. Do not deal with only one bookmaker. Seek "multiple outs" in order to secure the most attractive prices available in the marketplace. Find bookmakers who are fair, credible and legitimate.

3.) Other sharp gamblers...Here's some stiff competition. Astute sports bettors correct the market quickly when finding mistakes made by the oddsmakers, bookmakers and general public. This select group of winners drains the value from the betting board by wagering large sums of money on games and propositions that are not properly priced.

4.) Yourself...Do not beat yourself. Eliminate mistakes that amateurs make on a regular basis.

PROS VS. JOES.....There are four major differences between recreational players and professional gamblers. The first difference is patience. Beginning gamblers need to be more judicious with their selection process. Professionals are willing to wait until an opportunity provides wagering value, while newcomers look for action at all times.

Another distinction between the rookie and veteran gambler deals with bet-sizing. Inexperienced gamblers constantly overbet their bankroll. Many professionals refuse to risk more than 5% of their bankroll on any single play.

Instinct is another quality that separates the winners from the losers. A beginning gambler has few instincts to trust while an experienced pro develops a "feel" to guide him in the decision-making process.

Finally, respect for the marketplace is essential. Amateurs are not price-sensitive. Professionals will not act until or unless the price is right.

FRIDAY'S BEST BET.....805 CHARLOTTE +6 over Indiana. The Bobcats look to avenge a late October loss to the Pacers in which Indiana spoiled Charlotte's home opener. Indiana is in a funk, having lost three of four games including a two-point loss to Milwaukee two nights ago. The Pacers are struggling rebounding the basketball. Indiana is a deeper team, but Charlotte boasts some star power with former Pacer Stephen Jackson, Gerald Wallace, Boris Diaw and D.J. Augustin. I prefer Charlotte coach Larry Brown in an underdog role over Indiana's Jim O'Brien as a favorite.

SATURDAY'S BEST BETS.....I'll return Friday night by posting a thread in the main forum titled "Five NCAAB Selections." I was 2-1 last week in my Friday blog, 3-2 with my Saturday selections, and 1-0 in my Monday blog, before flaming out with the Washington Wizards, 116-91 losers to Sacramento, on the latest episode of "Winning Wednesdays."

SUNDAY'S BEST BET.....115-116 GREEN BAY-DETROIT "OVER" 46.5. Aaron Rodgers is the hottest quarterback in the NFC (Brady competes in the AFC) and Drew Stanton looked solid last week (20-of-26 for 234 yards) against a stingy Chicago defense. The Packers have averaged more than 32 points per game over their last four games while the Lions have surrendered more than 29 ppg over the same time frame. Ford Field this season has produced final scores of 35-32, 44-6, 37-25, 23-20, 45-24 and 24-20 for an average final score of 34-21.

COMING MONDAY.....A look at the BCS Championship Game between Auburn and Oregon.

Re: My Friday blog

Very sharp post. One thing I can add is having an emotional detachment from your bets. After the bet is placed dont get so caught up rooting for your side that you dont look at the game critically.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Very sharp post. One thing I can add is having an emotional detachment from your bets. After the bet is placed dont get so caught up rooting for your side that you dont look at the game critically.

Agree completely. I sometimes hold grudges against teams that beat me. I'm 0-7 this season in games involving Gonzaga and San Diego State. Right now, I can't even look at one of their games.

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

Thanks JK, top notch as usual. Got some prior comittments that will keep me away from Ford Field Sunday, so sorry, no updates. :)

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

great read JK and i like the GB over myself

thanks

Thanks for the compliment on the blog and your recent criticism of "Winning Wednesdays." One surefire way to improve EOG's podcast is to invite your good friend, Adam Meyer.

BigDaddy

EOG Master

JK its just my opinion

the show has just not interested me lately

that doesn't mean its not a good show for others.

i doubt adam would do your show anyways after the stunt you pulled on him in the leroys contest. i have no clue if he would or not again its JMO

we have college basketball and no alan boston? he is a great guest but again you fucked him over as well after he gave you 3 great shows.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Thanks JK, top notch as usual. Got some prior comittments that will keep me away from Ford Field Sunday, so sorry, no updates. :)

So much for Detroit's home-field advantage when Chicago fans last week started chanting "Let's Go Bears." I assume Packer fans will travel to Detroit this Sunday.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

JK its just my opinion

the show has just not interested me lately

that doesn't mean its not a good show for others.

i doubt adam would do your show anyways after the stunt you pulled on him in the leroys contest. i have no clue if he would or not again its JMO

we have college basketball and no alan boston? he is a great guest but again you fucked him over as well after he gave you 3 great shows.

I pulled a "stunt" on Adam Meyer and "fucked over" Alan Boston? You must be kidding me or as the ESPN knuckleheads say, "C'mon Man."

BigDaddy

EOG Master

i'm not going to rehash the money talks situation. a few threads about it if people want they can look them up and yes you ambushed a great guest (alan boston) as you were the host of the show and allowed it to be asked.

i said the same things in those threads as i am now so nothing has changed.

again many threads on both subjects
:cheers

John this part amongst all the other battles, must be hard when the gambler gets into his later years. "Gambling serious money on sporting events is a full-time job without the benefits of stock options, expense accounts, insurance coverage, vacation time or overtime pay. Furthermore, a paycheck is not guaranteed unless gamblers isolate significantly more winners than losers."

Insurance coverage I know their is a Cobra plan but have heard it is very expensive. I am sure you guys that are close out their in Vegas discuss some stock tips, insurance plans etc. Still gotta be tough.

Like your Bobcats play for tonight. Larry Brown was quoted as saying "he hates the 3 point shot, I think it ruined our game." I tend to agree 1980's basketball was great, the flo of the game etc.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

Great post, but your preamble depressed me. I have to overcome the same obstacles - except the 11-10 part - to make a living, as well. Your points are solid and are essential for anyone self-employed to consider before going at it alone. To the fun part, I like the two picks and look forward to your Friday night extravaganza.

munson15

I want winners...

I agree with JHU, the fact that a bettor loses going 524-476 over the course of a year is a chilling statistic. Fortunately, low juice options abound and I take advantage of them when I do play. Food for thought while on hiatus, and thanks for the picks. GL.12io4j2w90

2W2P2S

EOG Dedicated

LV Rocks December Top 5

<!-- post date -->
12-01-2010

<!-- post text -->John Kelly retains the top spot with his weekly 'Winning Wednesdays" show while Las Vegas hockey makes it's first appearance in the top 5 as Wranglers Roundup just squeezes in at number 5!

The full Top 5 in order.

1. Winning Wednesdays - Live Wednesday 12PM-1PM
2. Law By Barry - Live Wedneday's 6PM-7PM
3. Carey Sisters - Live Thursday's 7PM-8PM
4. The MMAchine - Live Wednesday's 7PM-8PM
5. Wranglers Roundup - Live Saturday's 10PM-10:30PM

LV Rocks November Top 5

<!-- post date -->
10-31-2010

<!-- post text -->John Kelly's Winning Wednesdays remains in the top position this month while The Carey Sisters surge to #2 (their highest position yet!)

There are two new entries to the Top 5 also as The 19th Hole makes it's first appearance at #3 and The MMAchine reminds us they are still kicking ass while covering mixed martial arts every Wednesday!

The full Top 5 in order.

2. The Carey Sisters - Live Thursday's 7PM-8PM
3. The 19th Hole - Live Thursday's 3PM-4PM
4. The MMAchine - Live Wednesday's 7PM-8PM
5. Heatwave Sports - Live Sat & Sun 10PM-12AM

LV Rocks October Top 5

It must be football season! Sports handicapping shows Winning Wednesdays and Sports Forum Picks have taken over the top two spots (in respective order). Also, Heatwave Sports enjoys another climb to an all time high #3 spot this month.

The full Top 5 in order.

2. Sports Forum Picks - Live Wednesday 6PM-7PM
3. Heatwave Sports - Live Sat & Sun 10PM-12AM
4. King Hesh - Live Friday's 9PM-12AM
5. The Carey Sisters - Live Thursday's 7PM-8PM

Tim Patterson

EOG Dedicated

Solid blog JK,

Nice write-up about the human element of it all.

For the record, I don't believe you ambushed
Adam or Alan.

Looking forward to seeing you tonight.

WINBET

EOG Dedicated

Simple guidelines like never bet vig under -110, restrictions in spread like NFL never over -10, pass on bets at -3.5, 7.5 etc. There are loads of these that will make even the biggest joker suddenly viable. Half the problem is reading rubbish on Sports forums posted by idiots trying to make the game more complicated than it is. Buying points, playing teasers, logging line movement, closing line nonsense, following certain steam, it all makes the water murkier for the novice. Sports forums are full of clueless dopes who have no life other than talking bollocks about sports betting. Steer clear of the Math guys, their poison for beginners. :cheers

mrbowling300

EOG Dedicated

So much for Detroit's home-field advantage when Chicago fans last week started chanting "Let's Go Bears." I assume Packer fans will travel to Detroit this Sunday.

Yes, Packer fans travel well to Detroit too. The game was announced as a sellout on Tuesday...so that means we will be hearing chants of "Let's Go Packers" by all the cheese heads that will be there.

asportsguy

EOG Veteran

Also J.K. do not forget this aspect of Sports Betting it’s important.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p> </o:p>
The $60 fee the off shore books now charge their customers. Just another expense sports bettors have to overcome.
<o:p> </o:p>