Deron Williams = Coach Killer? How can you tell Sloan you don't wanna run his system?

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows
That makes no sense, wtf? It makes you a great PG, but you don't want to run the system? It's been successful for 1/4 of a century and you think it's not for you?

Shocked that the Jazz chose Deron over Jerry. Deron doesn't understand that Jerry helped make him who he is.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Re: Deron Williams = Coach Killer? How can you tell Sloan you don't wanna run his system?

Sloan was too old school. These new kids are hard-headed and think they know everything. He's taught the same system to all his players including HOFers like Malone & Stockton... I guess D-Will is too good for it.

Big mistake by the Jazz.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Re: Deron Williams = Coach Killer? How can you tell Sloan you don't wanna run his system?

Players are starting to run the teams now... just look at the Heat.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Players are starting to run the teams now... just look at the Heat.
It's embarrassing. Sloan has done more for the game than Deron ever will, and he helped create Deron Williams. It's a shame that Deron thought he was too good/smart for one of the 5 greatest coaches of all-time; IMO.

I think it was a big reason Urban left Florida also.
Players threatening to revolt if they dont get their way.

Going to really funny if Williams leaves when his contract is up next year also.

not as funny as if the league goes on strike though.

tripp

EOG Master

Big loss for the Jazz, as I've already said I think Sloan is one of the best coaches to ever be apart of the game. With that said, if it were the Knicks and they had to chose between the coach and their superstar PG I would hope they choose the superstar PG. In the end the players win the games, not the coaches. There are plenty of very intelligent basketball minds in the world capable of coaching NBA talent. There aren't many PG's as talented as Deron Williams.

Big loss, but in today's game management almost has no choice but to side with the superstar that puts butts in the seats and gives the team a chance at winning.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Jerry Sloan has plugged in whoever for 23 years tripp and one - he's one of those rare coaches that has a system that simply works.

tripp

EOG Master

Cavs need to fire Scott and hire Sloan.
no way, no reason to waste big money on a high profile coach with that team. You could have a staff of Sloan, Phil Jackson, and Pat Riley and that team would be a bottom 3-5 team in the league still.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

With Sloan, the Cavs would have won 24-29 games this year.

true. not worth it if it cost you the #1 pick.

Wouldnt surprise me though if the Cavs get on a hot streak at the very end and wind up with the 3rd or 4th pick.

tripp

EOG Master

With Sloan, the Cavs would have won 24-29 games this year.
Which in reality would be much worse for the future of the organization.

Much better to be the worst team in the league than simply a mediocre team that finishes with a pick around 7-10 each year.

The last few years have been very frustrating as a Knicks fan for that very reason. Too good to really get much better in the draft, not good enough to be worth a damn.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Which in reality would be much worse for the future of the organization.

Much better to be the worst team in the league than simply a mediocre team that finishes with a pick around 7-10 each year.

The last few years have been very frustrating as a Knicks fan for that very reason. Too good to really get much better in the draft, not good enough to be worth a damn.
I agree with you 100%. The worst thing to be is the 8th seed in the playoffs every year, that's what I call basketball hell. You don't get into the lottery and you never have a chance at a title. I just used that point to state his value as a coach.

High Times

EOG Master

Another reason todays athletes are no where close to those of 30 years ago!

Not close!

Sloans got to be the only one to coach 2 of the 50 best NBA players EVER and never win anything.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Just lowered my power rating on Deron Williams.

Apple

Banned

Jerry Sloan deserves more respect than this.. Seeing someone else on the Utah sidelines will never look right w/o Sloan.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

Sloan will hopefully coach the Lakers after Phil retires.

Michael and Magic both got coaches fired. I'm not taking Deron's side, just pointing this out.

enzymex

EOG Enthusiast

What the... Slaon is a legend.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Michael and Magic both got coaches fired. I'm not taking Deron's side, just pointing this out.
Michael got a young, and inexperienced Doug Collins fired. Michael didn't get a HOF, top 5 coach of all-time, fired.

hmm from details coming out seems Sloan wasnt a good fit and maybe it was more him than Williams.

only had 2 video sessions in 2 years?
not very into the practices(which were very light in nature)

maybe Sloan lost the fire and was running on fumes.
The spark didnt seem to be there as in years past on the sideline,that I had noticed.

Perfect Storm

EOG Enthusiast

the Jazz never won anything under Jerry Sloan and why so quick to throw Deron Williams under the bus when he is a top 5 PG for christ sake

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

hmm from details coming out seems Sloan wasnt a good fit and maybe it was more him than Williams.

only had 2 video sessions in 2 years?
not very into the practices(which were very light in nature)

maybe Sloan lost the fire and was running on fumes.
The spark didnt seem to be there as in years past on the sideline,that I had noticed.

Eh, there gonna do everything in their power to spin this so the PR downfall isn't that bad.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

the Jazz never won anything under Jerry Sloan and why so quick to throw Deron Williams under the bus when he is a top 5 PG for christ sake
Jerry Sloan is a top 5 coach of all-time - Deron Williams is just another good PG coming through the league. Sloan got MJ'ed - that happened to plenty.

Anyone ever stop to think maybe Deron wanted to win a championship.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Anyone ever stop to think maybe Deron wanted to win a championship.
Quick, name me the coach Utah is going to hire that's better prepared to win a title than Jerry Sloan.

If they could get Raegan Pebley it would be move in the right direction.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

Sloan a top 5 coach all time?

Get the fuck outta here.

How many championships does he have?

WVU

EOG Master

Sloan a top 5 coach ever? No way in Hell. He has had plenty of talent over the years and nothing to show for it except a bunch of regular season wins and choke jobs in the playoffs.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Sloan a top 5 coach ever? No way in Hell. He has had plenty of talent over the years and nothing to show for it except a bunch of regular season wins and choke jobs in the playoffs.
Name me 1 time in his entire career in which he had the best team in basketball - don't worry, I'll wait.

WVU

EOG Master

Name me 1 time in his entire career in which he had the best team in basketball - don't worry, I'll wait.

I didn't say he did, but he has had good talent most years as a coach. You on the other hand claim he is one of the top 5 ever. I am simply disagreeing as I think you need a title to be considered one of the best.

all-time is a long time.
a lot of great coaches :

Auerbach
Jackson
Riley
Dunleavy
Daly
Holtzman
Popovich
Karl
Brown

1 of these isnt like the others.

all-time is a long time.
a lot of great coaches :

Auerbach
Jackson
Riley
Dunleavy
Daly
Holtzman
Popovich
Karl
Brown

Karl? Nobody has done less with more than that guy. Most overrated coach in any sport.

all-time is a long time.
a lot of great coaches :

Auerbach
Jackson
Riley
Dunleavy
Daly
Holtzman
Popovich
Karl
Brown

Karl? Nobody has done less with more than that guy. Most overrated coach in any sport.

Any how many NBA titles has Sloans system won ? I forget ?

mosemn

EOG Member

It's to bad his assistant didn't stay Phil Johnson didn't stay there wouldn't have been that much change, he is Jerry sloan's shadow. Anyone want to bet Ty Corbin has more success than Adrian Dantley did