Is Ray Allen the best shooter of all-time?

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
He's now the all-time leading 3-point scorer.

He passed Reggie last night, and he did it in 3 less seasons, and 300 fewer games.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Re: Is Ray Allen the best shooter of all-time?

...................Miller Allen
Seasons....... 18 15
Games..... 1,389 1,074
3-pt FGM... 2,560 2,562
3-pt FGA.... 6,486 6,433
3-pt FG pct... 39.5 39.8

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here

They both shot about 40% in their careers from beyond the arc. Miller shot 47% overall, Ray is right around 45. They're both about 89% from the charity stripe. Too close to call. Miller the slight edge when it comes to shooting.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Both clutch shooters, too, but I recall Reggie's shots more. Everyone remember the game against the Knicks, where he scored 8 points in 9 seconds...

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

I go with Reggie because of his heroic shooting efforts on multiple occasions. Reggie has given us some of the most memorable NBA highlights of all-time. Reggie still #1 in my book.

Mark Price might be the greatest "pure shooter" of all-time.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Steve Nash is a shooter that I don't really see come up that often in these discussions. He's had similar numbers to Mark Price. I think they both belong to the same "club," that's shot at least 40% from 3-point land, 50% from the field, and 90% from the FT line, in a season. Insane numbers.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Steve Nash is a shooter that I don't really see come up that often in these discussions. He's had similar numbers to Mark Price. I think they both belong to the same "club," that's shot at least 40% from 3-point land, 50% from the field, and 90% from the FT line, in a season. Insane numbers.
Yeah, the 40-50-90 club. That's the shooters club for you. Nash is the only guy in the NBA to shoot over 40% from three the past 8 years I think?

tripp

EOG Master

Great shooter, but also have to remember he passes up the shots unless they are very open typically as he's a pass first guy, even on drives to the basket. Doesn't take near as many shots as the other great shooters also.

Reggie would be my pick for best pure shooter of all time, but can see the argument for Ray or even someone like Bird.

MadCapper

Head <in> Moderation

I think I would take Jerry West or Larry Bird over Allen.

O'Royken

EOG Dedicated

Three point shots are for the cowards in ths league who lacked the balls to drive it the hole for a high percentage shot in fear of contact.

munson15

I want winners...

Larry Bird for me, he combined clutch shooting with supreme confidence, and that performance in the 3-point competition years ago was classic.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

Chris Mullin. Maybe not the actual best, but he was right up there.

munson15

I want winners...

Mullin's lefthanded graceful delivery reminded me of Gail Goodrich, a sweet-shooting guard in the 60's and 70's and another southpaw.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Goodrich and Mullen, an excellent comparison. Too bad Mullen wasted the best years of his career with an addiction to alcohol.

brians

EOG Dedicated

Ray Allen is as smooth as they come. It's ironic though, he has one of the most consistent shooting forms I've ever seen yet on his record breaking 3 he was off balance and kind of rushed it even though it was in transition and was all alone. His best shot is from the corner. Almost automatic from the corner.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Ray Allen is as smooth as they come. It's ironic though, he has one of the most consistent shooting forms I've ever seen yet on his record breaking 3 he was off balance and kind of rushed it even though it was in transition and was all alone. His best shot is from the corner. Almost automatic from the corner.

22' from the corner, 23'9" from the arc. More NBA teams should shoot the corner "3."

As you wrote, Brian, I noticed Allen rushed the record-breaker, but he was WIDE OPEN.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

I've always argued Allen.

I've heard a decent argument made in favor of Dirk but I can't endorse it...

msftkid

EOG Addicted

Rick Barry hasnt even got a call But if you look he is the purest shooter of all time . If the 3 point shot existed iwhen he played he would be in the top 5 all time scorers. What about his free throw %?

munson15

I want winners...

Barry could light it up, but he was a bomber who took a load of low-percentage shots. And, the underhanded free throws, while amazingly effective, were aesthetically unpleasing.

ray allen seems to shoot 5 for 6 from 3 in a game where they win by like 20 and when they need him to make a 3, he will got like 1 for 7 and they lose the game by like 1 to 4 points.

Most great 3 point shooters were not even starters. Brent barry is a better shooter, as well as that 6th man in dallas

rainbow

EOG Master

Barry could light it up, but he was a bomber who took a load of low-percentage shots. And, the underhanded free throws, while amazingly effective, were aesthetically unpleasing.

Munson, I know you remember downtown Freddy Brown........... I have to agree with you with Bird........

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

MJ had some sweet 3-point shooters at his disposal including Craig Hodges, John Paxson and Steve Kerr.

Discreet Cat

EOG Dedicated

I'm still going with my homie, Pistol Pete.........

I haven't followed the NBA in a long time, but i used to watch a lot of it growing up, and i've never seen a better shooter than Bird. I'm not even sure it's close, either. At least when he was allowed to stop and set. The guy was just deadly.

rainbow

EOG Master

I haven't followed the NBA in a long time, but i used to watch a lot of it growing up, and i've never seen a better shooter than Bird. I'm not even sure it's close, either. At least when he was allowed to stop and set. The guy was just deadly.
I can't dissagree with your pick, and he was better in the clutch.......

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

That was the key, Cat. If Bird was allowed to stop and set, the shot was automatic.

Moldoveanu

EOG Master

allan houston was a really good shooter too really nice jump shot for the knicks!

munson15

I want winners...

Munson, I know you remember downtown Freddy Brown........... I have to agree with you with Bird........
I certainly do, Rainbow, too bad there was no 3-point line back then for his sake. He was a key member of the '79 Sonics championship team and would come off the bench firing them up from anywhere.