Did Rutgers get screwed????

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated
I just watched the last 20 or so seconds online but it sure looked like St Johns got away with a bunch. The Rutgers kid driving the lane with 7 seconds to go sure looked like he gout fouled as did the Rutgers guy on the rebound, not to mention it looked like St Johns knocked the ball out.

cassiusclay

EOG Master
Re: Did Rutgers get screwed????

that was rough, 2 fouls not called but rutgers should have set a better last play up, driving the lane that early was a bonehead play.....

scrappy team though

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Some of the worst officiating I've ever seen.

As Doug Gottlieb pointed out after the game these 3 refs need to be given the rest of thetourney off. The conference MUST "send a message" that what happened at the end of the game will NOT be tolerated. I can LIVE with the non-shooting foul call and I can LIVE with the non push call (THERE IS NO SUCH THING as an "Ovetr the Back" foul - it is a push)

I CAN'T live with the guy stepping OUT OF BOUNDS w/1.7 sec left because unlike the other 2 this one is NOT "Subjective". The first 2 were subjective calls - this one was NOT. Refs quit trying at the end

I also agree with the commentators who say "The Refs shouldn't decide the game - the Players should" is hogwash. By swallowing their whistles the refs allowed fouls and bad plays to go unpunished - something they would NOT have let happen if this had been the F5 mins of the game

Screwed is a gross understatement. That was the worst officiating that I have seen in years.

brians

EOG Dedicated

As Doug Gottlieb pointed out after the game these 3 refs need to be given the rest of thetourney off. The conference MUST "send a message" that what happened at the end of the game will NOT be tolerated. I can LIVE with the non-shooting foul call and I can LIVE with the non push call (THERE IS NO SUCH THING as an "Ovetr the Back" foul - it is a push)

I CAN'T live with the guy stepping OUT OF BOUNDS w/1.7 sec left because unlike the other 2 this one is NOT "Subjective". The first 2 were subjective calls - this one was NOT. Refs quit trying at the end

I also agree with the commentators who say "The Refs shouldn't decide the game - the Players should" is hogwash. By swallowing their whistles the refs allowed fouls and bad plays to go unpunished - something they would NOT have let happen if this had been the F5 mins of the game

Yea I never understood why people expect officials to call a game any differently with 0:05 left than 15:05 left.

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

Yea I never understood why people expect officials to call a game any differently with 0:05 left than 15:05 left.

OK - I can chime in here on this one. It is - TRUST ME - IT IS - to a certain extent

The feeling is "make the foul a good one - NO "ticky tack" stuff. I would also say where you are on the court also affects any calls. If it is the end of a quarter and some guy is gonna launch a 70-footer he better lose a limb if he expects a foul called. I am NOT going to GIVE a team 3 FT attempts on a 70-foot heave. We can argue if a kid is dumb enough to foul someone he deserves to be called for it - and I agree. But Impact/Advantage is minimal on this play

End of game - it does play a factor although I personally have never shied away from these kinds of calls. I did a game where I called a 2 shot foul in a 1-point game with 0.5 seconds left in the game. The kid went up for a layup and got hammered from behind - he made BOTH FTs and his team won by 1

The one thing I will say is the "over the back" call there at the end. I understand the ref not wanting to put Rutgers on the line for a foul 94 feet from the hoop - I understand that. IF you are going to do that, though, give Rutgers the ball even though it went off them. That is called "Passing on a Foul" and is done all the time. We know there was a foul on Team A and we know the ball went off Team B but we will give the ball to Team B even though we know it went off them because we don't want to call a foul on Team A. Coaches know when this happens and you almost never hear the Team A coach complain because he knows his guy commited a foul and none was called

Ching or Dong

EOG Enthusiast

Of course they got screwed!! Jim Burr (R)< Tim Higins and Carl Walton who I don't know much about decided they would "let the players play", which as an ex BB official my partners and I have done many times. We never gave a game away like the above 3 did today. Have listened to some NCAA and Big East people and they said there would be consequences. Burrr and Higgins are big time officials in ACC and Big East so I would expect at a minimum of a 1 game suspension. If I was a Commissioner of Officials they wouldn't get another game throughout the rest of the NCAA tournament but that will never happen. I would guess that for the Big East Tourney that they are getting 1250-1500$$ plus per diem. It is a very lucrative part-time job. A couple of years ago there was an official Steve Welmer who did over 100 NCAA games and made over 100k for 6 months. He was easy to see as he was 6'9" AND BALD and was always hitching up his pants. Haven't seen him this year so guess he is injured.

matrix1429

EOG Addicted

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT! I was there today and the place was crazy after for an hour waiting to see if they were going to come out. TOTAL BULLSHIT! THOSE REFS SHOULD NEVER HAVE A JOB AGAIN! To teach the system a lesson.

Ray Luca

EOG Master

Unlikely they would have scored but they deserved a shot with 1.6 left

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

They are so quick to review stupid shit & take several minutes & different angles & all that other bullshit.

You would tkink the last play of the game would warrant the refs to take a closer look & not go running off the court.

I thinh that Rutgers was hurt by their coach running onto the court complaining about a hold on the inbound pass.They just said F-it we aren't discussing the non call.The coach kinda missed the boat on this one.If you think Calhoun or Pitino or Beiheim would have lrt those refs run off the court you're crazy.The first year coach got the shaft

fifty cint

EOG Dedicated

They are so quick to review stupid shit & take several minutes & different angles & all that other bullshit.

You would tkink the last play of the game would warrant the refs to take a closer look & not go running off the court.

I thinh that Rutgers was hurt by their coach running onto the court complaining about a hold on the inbound pass.They just said F-it we aren't discussing the non call.The coach kinda missed the boat on this one.If you think Calhoun or Pitino or Beiheim would have lrt those refs run off the court you're crazy.The first year coach got the shaft

Moldoveanu

EOG Master

you are a fucking ref that first thing you do is you watch the guy with the ball he fucking took the ball in his hands and took 3 steps and no whistle ?? he also stepped out of bounds big time and no whistle???

and there was still time left on the clock as he was traveling and still nothing what was the ref doing ??? what were they watching ??

this was fixed 100% no wonder why fucking games end up right at the over under total the ref know the spread they know everything and they know how to fix games fuck this bull shit i am convinced now fucking gambling is bs except hockey

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

Rutgers coach Mike Rice and his players should have never left the court, demanding a complete review from the Big East higher-ups. If I were Rice, I would have demanded technical fouls on Steve Lavin (leaving the coaches box) and Justin Brownlee (delay-of-game technical for throwing the ball in the stands).

bomzee

EOG Dedicated

Wait a second everyone. Be very careful.You guys need to remember what David Stern said about Donaghy being the only ref ever that messed up in any game ever or words to that effect. Perhaps someone could interview "the above reproach" Stern to straighten the whole world out about the ending in this game.

cassiusclay

EOG Master

Rutgers coach Mike Rice and his players should have never left the court, demanding a complete review from the Big East higher-ups. If I were Rice, I would have demanded technical fouls on Steve Lavin (leaving the coaches box) and Justin Brownlee (delay-of-game technical for throwing the ball in the stands).

that is 100% correct

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Lavin didnt leave the coaches box before the buzzer.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

I dont watch college bb, but i saw the ending of the game on the first minutes of Jim Rome (yeah, i tape rome and watch him late at night when nothing else is on) can someone answer this question for me. How come Rutgers didnt get the ball back with 1.7 left? And, not only that, but the St Johns player should have been given a T for throwing the ball in the stands.

If this was an NBA game, the refs would have huddled up at the sidelines, watched a little tv and got the call right.

What did i miss?

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

Because no violation was called, the clock ran out. The refs cannot chack the video to see if someone stepped out of bounds, its one of those things that isnt reviewable.

matrix1429

EOG Addicted

Bullshit!!! they can review anything!!!! I WON 6000 today just on the bullshit yesterday ,I took full advantage of the bullshit ,I bet OVER and knew these new refs would call anything under the fukin sun today and did!.....way over total . Guys take advantage of future bullshit!

JT242

EOG Enthusiast

they didnt deserve to win the game. why should they get one call at the end when they didnt earn it during the game...i

JT242

EOG Enthusiast

its a game played by humans and ruled by us too...knowone talks about all the other close or wrong calls during the other 39 min of basketball

winkyduck

TYVM Morgan William!!!

JK - you and everyone else here needs to learn something about officials

First off this desire to give a "T" to Brownlee for throwing the ball in the stands is both stupid and ignorant. NOT ONE official will EVER call a "T" there - nor should they. At best they would blow the whistle and stop the clock saying the ball left the court and thus time should be stopped. The Louisville C-leader got a "T" because the game wasn't over, the ball was live and he interferred with the play - a good call. Tossing the ball into the stands on a call like that will NEVER (or should NEVER) get a "T" called. The player isn't trying to "show me up" as a Ref so I will NEVER blow my whistle and "T" him there. IF I make a call he doesn't like and he tosses the ball into the stands - NOW I am gonna "Whack Him" (Refs prefer to say "Whack Him" or "Pop Him" as opposed to "T-ing him up").

An officials job is officially over once he/she leaves the confines of the court. Once the refs leave the confines of the court - GAME OVER AND THEY ARE NOT ALLOWED TO COME BACK ON THE COURT! If the 3 refs are in the lockerroom GAME OVER! As a matter of fact if they are in the lockerroom and in this case had they been brought back on the court and made to play the last 1.7 (or whatever) seconds of the game (as they should have done) and Rutgers won the game - St John's would have protested and.............THEY HAVE WON THAT PROTEST! Think I am joking? NOPE! In a close game watch how fast the refs run off the court so they get back to their lockerroom before anything like this can happen. If the game is a 40-point blowout we might stick around longer but the speed we run off the court is directly related to how close the game was. Close game - Usain Bolt is slow compared to me.....Blowout - I'm not racing at top speed. In situations like this the refs will even get together at a whistle near the end and plan their escape route from the court/gym. Refs come out before the game with our jackets on - then we take them back in the lockerroom with us at halftime and come back for 2h w/o them so when the game is over we don't have to stop at the scorer's table and get them - we can exit ASAP

Rutgers got jobbed by bad calls - no argument. But at the same point in time they would have had only 1.7 seconds left and the ball about 55 feet from the hoop. Not likely they would have done something although you wish they coulda at least had a chance