DALLAS VS. MIAMI: WHO DO YOU LIKE IN THE REMATCH FROM '06?

jimmythegreek

The opening odds start here
The Miami Heat won the championship in six games over the Dallas Mavericks, winning the final game at the American Airlines Center in Dallas, and becoming the third team to win a championship after trailing 0–2 in the series. This was Dallas' and Miami's first appearance in the finals, as well as the second matchup of teams from Florida and Texas (with the Houston Rockets and Orlando Magic participating in the 1995 NBA Finals). Heat guard Dwyane Wade was named Most Valuable Player of the series. It was also the first Finals not to have either the Los Angeles Lakers or San Antonio Spurs since 1998, and the only one of the 2000s decade.

Game summaries Game OneDallas' Jason Terry scored a playoff-high 32 points as the Mavericks overcame a 31–23 deficit at the end of the first quarter.

June 8
9:00pm ET 1 Miami Heat 80, Dallas Mavericks 90 American Airlines Center, Dallas
Attendance: 20,475
Referees:

No. 17 Joe Crawford
No. 14 Joe DeRosa
No. 15 Bennett Salvatore
ABC
Scoring by quarter: 31–23, 13–23, 24–24, 12–20
Pts: Dwyane Wade 28
Rebs: Udonis Haslem 8
Asts: Dwyane Wade 6 Pts: Jason Terry 32
Rebs: Josh Howard 12
Asts: Nowitzki, Howard 4 each
Dallas leads series, 1–0.

Game TwoDirk Nowitzki had a stellar 26 point-16 rebound performance, and the Mavericks cruised past the Heat to take a 2–0 series lead.

June 11
9:00pm ET 2 Miami Heat 86, Dallas Mavericks 99 American Airlines Center, Dallas
Attendance: 20,459
Referees:

No. 26 Bob Delaney
No. 29 Steve Javie
No. 32 Eddie F. Rush
ABC
Scoring by quarter: 17–18, 17–32, 24–32, 27–17
Pts: Dwyane Wade 23
Rebs: Dwyane Wade 8
Asts: Payton, Williams 4 each Pts: Dirk Nowitzki 26
Rebs: Dirk Nowitzki 16
Asts: Jason Terry 9
Dallas leads series, 2–0.

Game ThreeLed by Dwyane Wade's 42 points and 13 rebounds, the Heat rallied from a 13-point deficit with six minutes to go in the fourth quarter. The momentum-changing comeback was capped by a Gary Payton field goal from just inside the three-point line with 9.3 seconds left. Dirk Nowitzki had a chance to tie the game at the free throw line with 3.4 seconds to go, but missed 1 of 2, sealing the win for Miami.

June 13
9:00pm ET 3 Dallas Mavericks 96, Miami Heat 98 AmericanAirlines Arena, Miami
Attendance: 20,145
Referees:

No. 43 Dan Crawford
No. 41 Ken Mauer
No. 35 Jack Nies
ABC
Scoring by quarter: 21–29, 22–23, 34–16, 19–30
Pts: Dirk Nowitzki 30
Rebs: Erick Dampier 9
Asts: Jason Terry 5 Pts: Dwyane Wade 42
Rebs: Dwyane Wade 13
Asts: Shaquille O'Neal 5
Dallas leads series, 2–1.

Game FourDwyane Wade shined again for the Heat with 36 points, and Miami held Dallas to just seven points in the fourth quarter en route to a series-tying, blowout victory. The Mavericks' low-scoring fourth quarter was the lowest ever by any team during the NBA Finals. Jerry Stackhouse caught Shaquille O'Neal with a flagrant foul that resulted in him being suspended for Game 5.

June 15
9:00pm ET 4 Dallas Mavericks 74, Miami Heat 98 AmericanAirlines Arena, Miami
Referees:

No. 27 Dick Bavetta
No. 14 Mike Callahan
No. 7 Bernie Fryer
ABC
Scoring by quarter: 25–30, 19–24, 23–24, 7–20
Pts: Jason Terry 17
Rebs: Dirk Nowitzki 9
Asts: Jerry Stackhouse 4 Pts: Dwyane Wade 36
Rebs: Shaquille O'Neal 13
Asts: Jason Williams 6
Miami ties series, 2–2.

Game FiveDwyane Wade was the star yet again with 43 points, shooting as many free throws as all the Mavericks combined (a fact that did not sit well with head coach Avery Johnson[3]), leading the Heat to their third straight win over Dallas after being down 0–2 in the series. After getting the ball in to Wade with 9.1 seconds left, Dallas committed a controversial foul to send him to the line to shoot two free throws with 1.9 seconds left on the game clock. Wade hit the first free throw when Josh Howard mistakenly called the Mavericks' last remaining time-out which would prevent them from advancing the ball should Wade convert on the second attempt. Wade eventually made the second free throw to give his team a one-point lead after which Devin Harris attempted and missed a desperate half court buzzer beater. Wade set an NBA Finals record for most made free throws in a game with 21.[4]

After the game, Dirk Nowitzki kicked a ball into the stands and Mavericks owner Mark Cuban caused many "acts of misconduct" resulting in both of them being fined $5,000 and $250,000 respectively.[5]

June 18
9:00pm ET 5 Dallas Mavericks 100, Miami Heat 101 (OT) OT AmericanAirlines Arena, Miami
Referees:

No. 17 Joe Crawford
No. 14 Joe DeRosa
No. 15 Bennett Salvatore
ABC
Scoring by quarter: 21–24, 30–19, 20–27, 22–23, OT: 7–8
Pts: Jason Terry 35
Rebs: Josh Howard 10
Asts: Marquis Daniels 4 Pts: Dwyane Wade 43
Rebs: Shaquille O'Neal 12
Asts: Wade, Williams 4 each
Miami leads series, 3–2.

Game SixBehind Dwyane Wade 's 36 points, Miami edged Dallas to win their first championship in franchise history as Jason Terry missed a critical 3-pointer that would've sent the game to overtime. Averaging 34.7 points per game in the championship series, Wade was named NBA Finals MVP (Most Valuable Player).

June 20
9:00pm ET 6 Miami Heat 95, Dallas Mavericks 92 American Airlines Center, Dallas
Attendance: 20,522
Referees:

No. 43 Dan Crawford
No. 29 Steve Javie
No. 32 Eddie F. Rush
ABC
Scoring by quarter: 23–30, 26–18, 22–20, 24–24
Pts: Dwyane Wade 36
Rebs: Shaquille O'Neal 12
Asts: Jason Williams 7 Pts: Dirk Nowitzki 29
Rebs: Dirk Nowitzki 15
Asts: Jason Terry 5
Miami wins series, 4–2.

2010-11: The rematch:
Perhaps it is only fitting then that in Dirk's quest for his first NBA championship, he must face a familiar Finals foe, the same team that foiled the Mavericks the last time they were here. However, much has changed since 2006.

Both teams are much improved, and many of the key players in this series will be vying for their first championship rings. Here's a look ahead at how the teams match up, by position:

Point guard: Jason Kidd vs. Mike Bibby/Mario Chalmers

Advantage: Dallas.
The 38-year-old Kidd has looked rejuvenated in these playoffs, racking up the steals and three pointers in bunches. More importantly, he has been the cool, calm veteran floor leader that comes through in clutch situations.

Other than hitting the occasional three, Bibby and Chalmers have been relative non-factors so far in the playoffs. This doesn't hurt the Heat as much though, because both LeBron and Wade can take turns handling point guard duties.

Shooting guard: Jason Terry vs. Dwyane Wade

Advantage: Miami.
Although Deshawn Stevenson is the Mavs' starter at shooting guard on paper, Jet gets the bulk of the minutes, so it makes more sense to list him here as the team's primary 2-guard.

Dwyane Wade's recent shooting struggles aside, his impact for the Heat is understated, as he has been playing tough defense and crashing the glass. Like any of the Big 3, Wade has the ability to explode for thirty points at any time.

Jet, although rock-solid for the Mavs in the playoffs, struggled in two games against the Heat during the regular season. However, as a key member of the Mavs team that lost to the Heat in the 2006 Finals, look for Terry to come out extra motivated for this series. Jet has been lights out from downtown in this year's playoffs, nailing more than two a game thus far on a scorching 46% rate.

When it comes down to it though, Wade is one of the best five players in the world right now and can impact the game on so many levels.

Small forward: Shawn Marion vs. LeBron James

Advantage: Miami.
No one is as hot as LeBron in the playoffs right now, not even Dirk. He seems to have a focus and intensity that was lacking in his previous playoff appearances with the Cavs, and this may simply be due to the fact that he actually believes he can win it all with his new teammates.

Marion will prove to be a tough matchup, though. He was extremely disruptive against Durant, the NBA's scoring leader this year. This was highlighted by his clutch block in Game 4 on KD, effectively sending the game into overtime.

The series might very well hinge on Marion's ability to disrupt Lebron's ability to get into the lane and receive passes. This will be no easy task, however. While Derrick Rose may have won his first MVP this season, LeBron has actually been playing like one this postseason.

Power forward: Dirk Nowitzki vs. Chris Bosh

Props to Chris Bosh for playing so well despite that massive chip sitting on his shoulder.

In light of all the criticism and jokes that Bosh has endured for essentially being a third wheel to James and Wade, he has actually produced at a very high level. Maybe Carlos Boozer should have considered that he actually had to play defense on this guy before calling him out.

Regardless, Dirk has simply been unstoppable in the 2011 playoffs, playing at an MVP level and making seemingly impossible shots in clutch situations. Defensively, Bosh has never been known as a stopper, so he definitely will need help from LeBron to contain Nowitzki.

Center: Tyson Chandler vs. Joel Anthony

Just as the length and athleticism of the Bulls' frontcourt were an issue for the Heat in the Conference Semifinals, it will also be an issue in the final round.

Chandler is a monster on the offensive glass for the Mavs, averaging almost four offensive rebounds per game through 15 playoff games this year. This will create multiple second looks for his team. He is also a very agile, solid finisher at the rim, and will consistently challenge shots at the defensive end.

Anthony can also change the game on the defensive end, but he makes little to no impact on the other side of the court.

Bench: Jason Terry, J.J. Barea, Peja Stojakovic vs. Udonis Haslem, Mike Miller

Much of Dallas' postseason success has been due to their ability to spread the floor and knock down the three ball, highlighted by the three-point barrage that they used to knock out the Lakers in Game 4 of that series. Terry has been great in fourth quarters, Barea has been causing headaches for opponents with his ability to penetrate the lane at will, and Stojakovic is tough to stop if he gets hot.

For the Heat, Haslem hasn't been doing that much on offense, but he has brought a much-needed toughness to the Heat and he will probably be instrumental in the team's defense against Nowitzki. Miller has also woken up as of late, emerging as a perimeter threat for the Heat. Better late than never.

However, the depth of Dallas' bench is what makes them such a dangerous team, and they are simply deeper than the Heat.

My overall prediction: Dallas in 7. The popular pick for NBA champion this year is the Miami Heat, both because of the tremendous momentum that they seem to have and their home court advantage due to being a higher seed. However, I think the heavy minutes that the Big 3 have been playing for Miami because of their lack of bench depth will catch up to them.

Curious to hear the forum's thoughts.​

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: DALLAS VS. MIAMI: WHO DO YOU LIKE IN THE REMATCH FROM '06?

I don't want to bet against either team at this point.

Miami's team play and togetherness has impressed me.

I think LeBron gets his first ring, but I don't want to lay -200 to find out.

waco

EOG Dedicated

I love Miami too and Vegas wants u to bet Dallas because of the odds. I cant lay the juice

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member

I love Miami too and Vegas wants u to bet Dallas because of the odds. I cant lay the juice

Too much to lay, not enough to take.

The classic "pass."

Derrick Rose played atrocious, Boozer underperformed, Deng was invisible for large stretches offensively, Kyle Korver is on a milkbox somewhere, Taj Gibson must have been kidnapped after Game 1 and yet....Miami struggled to beat the Bulls in each of their wins.

They won't have that luxury against Dallas. Dirk having an off-night? Feed Terry, Marion, Kidd, Chandler, Stojakovic, etc. Miami will have to shift it's defensive focus from double-teaming one player, to man on man. If you thought Chicago had a lot of offensive rebounds against the Heat, wait until they play against Dallas. Lets not forget Dallas annihilated the Los Angeles Lakers and handled OKC when they wanted to. Mavs win the series and shock the world.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

This is an intriguing series to me for a lot of reasons.

I'm really interested to see how Marion matches up on Lebron on the defensive end of the floor. The Matrix has the athleticism but he is a step slow at this time in his career - one thing he has going for him is LENGTH, LENGTH, and more LENGTH.

If Lebron James tries to guard Dirk it could get ugly for Miami in stretches, IMO. Dirk can get his shot off over anyone, especially a guy he towers over, and athleticism doesn't seem to effect Dirk that much because he has such a quick release, and he's so good when he faces up. I would imagine that the Heat will rotate multiple defenders on Dirk, similar to what they did to Rose, but the difference is that Dirk has been here before and has seen it all at this point in his career.

Dallas has no one in the entire series that can guard Dwyane Wade. Bogans and Brewer are two of the better defensive 2's in the game and they frustrated Wade immensely. Stevenson will be on Wade, and he is a formidable defender (probably a + defender at this point in his career) but I don't think he has the feet to stay in front of Wade.

Jason Kidd will not let Chalmers and Bibby do anything. Kidd has been the unsung hero for the Mavs in this playoffs, because his veteran leadership and composure have kept the Mavs in every single game mentally.

The Heat close out poorly on the 3 point line. If Dallas shoots threes like they have been all playoffs, this is going to be a tough series for Miami. The Bulls missed a TON of open 3's in the series vs the Heat, and frankly just shot the ball like shit from the perimeter. Chandler is simply a better version of Joel Anthony and Dallas' bench bigs are > than Miamis. Outside of Dirk, Dallas is very perimeter oriented but the Heat can't abandon their post crunching defense because Dirk will be unstoppable.

If Dallas hits their threes, they win the series in 6-7.
If Miami gets out on the 3 point shooters, and can contain the post with their athleticism they'll win the series in 6-7 games.

For me to pretend like I know what will happen between the two above would be silly. If I was forced to chose, I guess I'd go with the team with Bron and Wade.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

I love one of Dough's arguments. Feed (everybody that plays not named Dirk). Ok, so you know their roster. Just listing off players doesn't say anything about how they'll perform or matchup in this series.

It's not just Dough. Tons of people do it, and ESPN analysts are the absolute worst, just wanted to point that out.

I don't see much value on either side of the series bet. I'll be playing the Heat a few times probably...will likely just watch Game 1.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Dough's point was that Dallas has capable shooters all over the floor while the Bulls do not. The problem that I fear about shooters in the Finals is that the stage is too big and it's tough to shoot on a stage of that size.

His point made sense, IMO. The Heat have struggled to close out on shooters, and that's part of Dallas' strength as a team.

Dough's point was that Dallas has capable shooters all over the floor while the Bulls do not. The problem that I fear about shooters in the Finals is that the stage is too big and it's tough to shoot on a stage of that size.

His point made sense, IMO. The Heat have struggled to close out on shooters, and that's part of Dallas' strength as a team.
Timely, you'll have to forgive Weinke, he's a little slow.

Weinke, turn on some Orlando Magic reruns and pipe down.

WeinketoWarrick

EOG Master

"The Patriots are a solid team. Brady, Green-Ellis, Woodhead, Gronkowski, Branch, Welker. I really think they'll be able to score some points and win." -Dough.

Not sure where that quote is from or if what I said was taken out of context. I don't know if it's more amazing I may have listed players' names once in 1,500+ posts, or that Weinke felt compelled to drudge through my 1,500+ posts to find a particular quote of mine. Either way, I'm flattered.

Teddy, remember you were saying how bad the Dallas Mavericks were, oh, about a month ago? Yeah. About that...