Gary Carter

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated
News came down yesterday that the brain tumors that were found are 90% likely to be malignant. Carter was a fine player and never abused his body. It is ironic that on a team which featured Dwight Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Keith Hernandez, Lenny Dykstra, Wally Backman and Kevin Mitchell - all hard livers (sorry if I missed a few), that Gary Carter is facing a diagnosis of brain cancer. Let's hope that he adapts that never quit attitude that he displayed on the ball field to this upcoming battle.

John Kelly

Born Gambler
Staff member
Re: Gary Carter

Carter could play baseball and talk baseball.

I liked the guy, but the MLB establishment apparently disliked him.

He was the Rick Barry of MLB.

JHU Dad

EOG Dedicated

He was a suck up and openly campaigned for Willie Randolph's job, while Willie was still managing the Mets. Still a great player. Funniest episode happened during the 16 inning Game 6 of the 1986 NLCS. Mets were leading the Astros 7-6. Houston had 2 on and 2 out with Kevin Bass up. Mets had Jesse Orosco on the mound and were staring at facing Mike Scott for Game 7. Keith Hernandez says that he went to the mound with Carter and Orosco and threatened to punch Gary Carter in the mouth if he called anything but curveballs during the at bat. Carter said yes - I don't know if he was scared - and Orosco threw 6 straight curves; striking out Bass on a 3-2 pitch. Carter and Hernandez were not close friends, but they did respect each other.

Heim

EOG Master

He was a better football player in HS than baseball. He had a full ride at SC if he wanted it . From the same high school that produced Jackson Browne, Sunny Hills, Fullerton.

Viejo Dinosaur

EOG Master

He was a better football player in HS than baseball. He had a full ride at SC if he wanted it . From the same high school that produced Jackson Browne, Sunny Hills, Fullerton.

Think he went to Cal State Fullerton and played for Auggie...they had great teams in the 70's....