Is Fort Lauderdale a nice place to live?

joe blow

EOG Addicted
Company i work for asked me if i would be interested in transfering there.
My wife works at home on the interent.She can do her job anywhere.
We have two daughters 7 and 9.Anybody know how the school are there?
The offer is only 10k more a year,but no winters does sound nice..
I live in the NY/NJ area now...

Mr. Smith

EOG Master
Re: Is Fort Lauderdale a nice place to live?

yes

I grew up nearby.

schools in Florida are not the best. private would be better

soli

EOG Dedicated

I would make that move and not think twice.

Mr. Smith

EOG Master

use the 10k extra to pay for private school

it is a good place to grow up

Property should be WAY cheaper, I'd do it for sure.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

Leaving Florida in 20 days..........will hopefully never set foot in the state ever again.

My thoughts

I do recommend North Tampa though, great area........PASCO COUNTY/HILLSBOROUGH county line.

FOOD sucks in Florida, and the sun/humidity are torture.

WVU

EOG Master

I live in Ft Lauderdale and love it. I am also from NJ. If you are buying there are some great buys all over. The rental market is booming so expect to pay in the 2k/month neightborhood for something nice.

There are good public schools in the West and shitty public schools in the East. That is just how it goes in Broward County.

The beaches are fantastic and the night life is top notch. Ft. Lauderdale is the boating capital of the world if you are into that. We have at least 100 great (4-5 star) restaurants in the Ft Lauderdale area.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

I live in Ft Lauderdale and love it. I am also from NJ. If you are buying there are some great buys all over. The rental market is booming so expect to pay in the 2k/month neightborhood for something nice.

There are good public schools in the West and shitty public schools in the East. That is just how it goes in Broward County.

The beaches are fantastic and the night life is top notch. Ft. Lauderdale is the boating capital of the world if you are into that. We have at least 100 great (4-5 star) restaurants in the Ft Lauderdale area.

Do love the beach there, FT LAUDERDALE by the SEA is my favorite on that side of the coast.

Ft. Lauderdale is hit or miss. Las Olas Boulevard is nice, and anything up and down A1A is going to be good. However, there are some hoods nearby on Sunrise Blvd., Oakland Park, etc. that will make you think you're in Compton. Anything west of I-95 is usually suspect until you get further west than University Drive.

North of Commercial Boulevard is nothing but good communities for the most part unless you're near MLK Boulevard and Powerline Road. South of Ft. Lauderdale is equally hit or miss. You run into Hollywood pretty fast and then anything south of that is pretty much Spanish speaking predominantly.

I think moving from Jersey to Florida with a nice raise is a no-brainer ! The problem with Florida seems to be jobs, you have that one licked.

sunnyisle

EOG Dedicated

1. where will your job located( area) in Ft.L. ?

I have been in the Miami/ Ft.L area since 1978. Your raise for transferring and zero state tax will help for private school. Public schools are bad as others have said. Anything EAST of US 1( Federal Hwy) if you work downtown is ideal, but more money. You want to stay away from a daily rush hour drive on I-95 ( North & South) or 595( East & West).

A guy from NY/NJ should be at at home in that Ft L/ Miami traffic, should be a wash there ? more money and nice weather are huge plusses.

Go for it !

Whoson1st

EOG Dedicated

I wasn't crazy about Florida when I work and lived there for a bout 14 months. But it has to be better than NJ. The TAXES THERE ARE TERRIBLE!!!!!!!

anywhere in Florida would look pretty sweet from about Nov-April compared to the Northeast. The other six months are nicer up North....for many people. I could handle Florida year-round with a decent job and being near the coast.

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

DOUG...............chooose LV over FLORIDA

Thanks,
Your friend,
FH

Nah, If I return anywhere I've lived before it would be North county San Diego over Vegas, or even Colorado before Vegas, but I want warm. I'm more like NC, SC, Tampa, maybe Austin. The Carolinas seem to be a nice mid-point while still being reasonable in price.

joe blow

EOG Addicted

A guy from NY/NJ should be at at home in that Ft L/ Miami traffic, should be a wash there ? more money and nice weather are huge plusses.

Go for it !

A wash or maybe better.From june till sept the garden state parkway basically a parking lot

joe blow

EOG Addicted

1. where will your job located( area) in Ft.L. ?

I have been in the Miami/ Ft.L area since 1978. Your raise for transferring and zero state tax will help for private school. Public schools are bad as others have said. Anything EAST of US 1( Federal Hwy) if you work downtown is ideal, but more money. You want to stay away from a daily rush hour drive on I-95 ( North & South) or 595( East & West).

Noth FT L

joe blow

EOG Addicted

I think you should look in the Plantation area.

I saw a house listed there.A four bedroom with a pool and a nice big backyard $1800 a month.Much better than the house i am living in now,and i am paying $2200 now.If i end up in plantation.Should i still send the kids too private school??

Should i expect to pay 10k for school for both kids??

Thanks for the info gents,i am ready to make the move.My wife is worried about the school systems.The private school info in this thread-Just might be enough to talk her into going.

Bagiant
You know a school i can look into??

joe blow

EOG Addicted

All great info in this post.How long you been living there ?

Patrick McIrish

OCCams raZOR

I didn't like it, lived in Pompano Beach for a few years when I was younger. A big reason people move to Ft Lauderdale right now is it's the "pain management" capital of the world. Some areas there is literally one on every corner. People come from all over the country to Broward county to get their Oxycontin, most make the trip there and back, some move permanently. Of 100% prescribed in the country 85% is dealt in Florida, Broward far and away being the worst area in the state. BTW I realize this probably isn't a reason not to move there, just making conversation. :)

FISHHEAD

EOG Master

I didn't like it, lived in Pompano Beach for a few years when I was younger. A big reason people move to Ft Lauderdale right now is it's the "pain management" capital of the world. Some areas there is literally one on every corner. People come from all over the country to Broward county to get their Oxycontin, most make the trip there and back, some move permanently. Of 100% prescribed in the country 85% is dealt in Florida, Broward far and away being the worst area in the state. BTW I realize this probably isn't a reason not to move there, just making conversation. :)

We both know how much better the TAMPA bay area is than the east coast of Florida.................

Well I never been to Fort Lauderdale,
But I kinda like the music.

------Three Dog Night (19-a-long-time-ago)

Never been there, but seems like a nice area.

From television, I know Morty and Helen Seinfeld moved close to there at Delray Beach late in the sitcom series, and they seemed to enjoy the area.

I've never even been to Oklahoma, but I've been to F/L. Lawrence ( old mod here picked me up at the airport),traffic was like LA type heavy going to Miami. I'd prefer a part of Florida that is not so congested, like Daytona.....I don't know a whole lot about Tampa area, but I'd check it out. I can deal with Miami being like Mexico ( Spanish speaking) ....the heavy traffic would bother me, a lot.

Well I never been to Fort Lauderdale,
But I kinda like the music.

------Three Dog Night (19-a-long-time-ago)

Never been there, but seems like a nice area.

From television, I know Morty and Helen Seinfeld moved close to there at Delray Beach late in the sitcom series, and they seemed to enjoy the area.

so Del boca vista is in Boca Raton ?

befeege

EOG Member

We both know how much better the TAMPA bay area is than the east coast of Florida.................

Fishhead, no offense, but Tampa is a bit redneck for most people from the Northeast.

Joe, I've been in FTL for 5 years, lived in Miami for 7 prior and 3 years in Palm Beach County; so I've lived in all three counties here on the E Coast. FTL is pretty nice from a quality of life standpoint. Posters are correct about the summers; they are long and hot and humid but I actually like them. Tons of golf and year round sporting events. I moved to S FLA in 1997 from Boston and never looked back. I literally don't know how anyone can willingly live up there. Family and job are important considerations, I know but that lifestyle/weather absolutely sucks beyond belief once you move here.

PM me for more specifics. Basically, make the move if your wife is OK with it.

To each his own, but I never liked Tampa. I lived for a few years right outside Tampa in the early 90's and I found it boring.

South Florida is a much quicker pace with much more stuff to do. We might as well draw a line at the northern border of Palm Beach County and make all parts north of that line South Georgia.

Tyrone

EOG Veteran

DOUG...............chooose LV over FLORIDA

Thanks,
Your friend,
FH

Fish when you left Vegas you said you would never return to that cesspool either. Why do you live iand move to places you hate? I am too lazy to dig up your posts but I am sure someone with nothing else to do will find them. I think you posted it either at RX or MW.

Mammon

EOG Master

Just watch House hunters in Ft Lauderdale/ 250k gets a decent place.