Report: Poor have highest obesity rate; Solution: ....

Re: Report: Poor have highest obesity rate; Solution: ....

Hey now, jes' cause dem damn yankees can't cook worth a damn . . . . if you ain't overweight in New Orleans, you're missing the whole point of being there. Galatoire's, Commander's Palace, Mother's, the Grill Room at the Windsor Court . . . .

: ^)

pvcpipe

EOG Master

I don't think those using EBT should be able to use it on shitty junk food. Milk, bread, meat, produce, etc., all fine. But when I'm in line at Wal-Mart and the lady in front of me is using her EBT for 7 boxes of Whitman's samplers and 15 bags of potato chips, it makes me mad.

I don't think those using EBT should be able to use it on shitty junk food. Milk, bread, meat, produce, etc., all fine. But when I'm in line at Wal-Mart and the lady in front of me is using her EBT for 7 boxes of Whitman's samplers and 15 bags of potato chips, it makes me mad.

I was in line at Wal-Mart and the couple ahead of me was buying a dozen ribeyes and a dozen t-bones, along with plenty of other fine foods.

When it came time to pay, the woman whipped out an EBT card. I was thinking wtf? Then, to top it off, the guy whipped out a roll...I mean a big roll...of $100's to pay the portion that was not EBT eligible.

After I paid for my stuff, I was walking to my car, when I saw the same couple getting into their car...a new Dodge Charger, with the ghetto wheels, hood scoop, gold trim, etc...parked in a handicap parking spot.

The only thing handicapped about them was the fat fucking bitch was probably 500+ lbs.

They are driving around in a 2011 Dodge Charger with probably $15K - $20K worth of accessories and carrying probably $10K in cash, why the hell are they getting food stamps?

Blondie

EOG Master

I agree to an extent.

We have six people in our home (four kids) and I spend an average of $100-$150 a week on groceries during the summer. To keep it at this level there is not a lot of junk food in my list. I don't see how someone can spend that much on junk food and manage to still feed their family anything worthwhile.

I agree that it is frustrating to see someone use the EBT card for what you mentioned, but on that same note I am less likely to be pissed off if I see the majority of their stuff is healthy food and there is a bag or two of chips, cookies, soda, whatever mixed in.

I get more pissed off when I see them in the gas station using it for soda and junk while paying cash for their case (s) of beer. Then proceeding to tell their kids that they don't have the extra money for something else.

Sounds like the officials from government assistance programs should hang out at the Walmarts. They may find a few surprises.

Sounds like the officials from government assistance programs should hang out at the Walmarts. They may find a few surprises.

The officials from government assistance programs don't give a shit.

They just do the minimum that they have to do to get their paycheck.

michael777

EOG Dedicated

i could not agree more

DJDalamar

EOG Dedicated

Government officials will never reform welfare. Politicians main goal is to get reelected and the more people that rely on the government the more power they have. If you do happen to get successful you will be heavily taxed for your gall to not depend on the government.

You can't effectively regulate what " Food Stampers" buy beyond general categories. I was a cashier 30 years ago in a supermarket. The stuff is either eligible or not. No toiletries, cigs, beer, TP, etc, of course.

Are you going to try and call what cereal they can buy ?

Corn Chex and Cheerios are OK, but no Count Chocala or Sugar touts ?

Hamburger is ok but no Filet mignon !

You can't regulate that tightly, administrative nightmare !

The benies can still get fenced, like old style paper foodstamps, but the seller will just get less than the old 50% for them. I used to buy them when I lived in Vegas to save 50% on my groceries.

There should be some hotline to report suspected abuse like in this 2011 Charger case ( just get the plate #). They have hotlines to report drunk drivers and tax evaders that register their cars in non -car tax states to evade taxes.

Regulating what is FS eligible isn't the answer....check out who gets these benies and why instead of nitpicking what they buy with it.

If you are indeed in need and choose to eat twinkies and ring-dings and doritos....oh well.

There was a thing called WIC ( 30 years ago when I was a checker)....stood for women with infant children or something like that. That was also welfare but it specified what you could buy with it...each coupon was individual

Like good for :

one case of infant formula and it specified brands and sizes

then maybe....

30 jars of baby food....

same restrictions

This made sure the mother got the actual stuff the welfare baby needed !

other stuff, like that !

I don't know how WIC works now, but you got specific stuff, 30 years ago, it was a PIA to check these things out....but who cares when you are paid hourly as a HS kid....I'm going to be standing behind the cash register either way... if some boss needs to approve it or something.

It was uncommon back in 1980 in the 06437 zip code.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

We're to the point where welfare can't be cut off. The cities would all burn to the ground. The USA is toast, guys. Enjoy the last pickings from the carcass.

I agree Chessman...I'm glad to be entering the last 20 years of my life. I'm 47, don't want to see 70. The future looks awful.

DJDalamar

EOG Dedicated

I posted this a few months back on my blog. This is my idea for welfare reform.

The food stamp and most welfare programs are currently set up to where is you have no job you get the benefits. That makes sense but the problem is once you get a job they drastically cut all your benefits. A single mom working an 8.00 job will get almost no benefits to where a mom sitting at home with no job gets everything.

So that leads to most people either not working or finding under that tale means of employment. Now that seems like a bad thing but really you can’t blame the people for gaming the system. Everyone is trying to get ahead and the government makes it so easy to do.

I believe they do it on purpose and want a large percentage of Americans on government help. That helps them get reelected when they promise more money to these people.

So I propose a radical change to the welfare system and would love to here your opinions on why this wouldn’t work:

You obviously get full benefits when you lose your job. However have a time limit on how long you receive full benefits. After 6 months they start slowly getting cut back till they reach a bare minuim of living standard. Obviously if you prove you can’t work there will be exceptions

Have a condition be that you are ties to the employment agency to receive benefits. The employment agency must sign off that you are actively looking for work to receive benefits. Even disable people can work. No legs doesn’t keep you from working just makes it harder to find a job.

Then this is the really radical part, If you get a job the benefits go UP! This would encourage more people to work and help the ones that are really trying. The extra taxes they pay would help offset the cost of the benefits. You would make the cut off somewhere around 10-14.00 hour.

I much rather help a single mom working an 8.00 hour job have a better life then someone who just doesn’t think they should have to work. Business could also experiment with paying just under the cut off and this lower the cost of there services which in turn would make people have more disposable income.

Blondie

EOG Master

You can't effectively regulate what " Food Stampers" buy beyond general categories. I was a cashier 30 years ago in a supermarket. The stuff is either eligible or not. No toiletries, cigs, beer, TP, etc, of course.

Are you going to try and call what cereal they can buy ?

Corn Chex and Cheerios are OK, but no Count Chocala or Sugar touts ?

Hamburger is ok but no Filet mignon !

You can't regulate that tightly, administrative nightmare !

The benies can still get fenced, like old style paper foodstamps, but the seller will just get less than the old 50% for them. I used to buy them when I lived in Vegas to save 50% on my groceries.

There should be some hotline to report suspected abuse like in this 2011 Charger case ( just get the plate #). They have hotlines to report drunk drivers and tax evaders that register their cars in non -car tax states to evade taxes.

Regulating what is FS eligible isn't the answer....check out who gets these benies and why instead of nitpicking what they buy with it.

If you are indeed in need and choose to eat twinkies and ring-dings and doritos....oh well.

There was a thing called WIC ( 30 years ago when I was a checker)....stood for women with infant children or something like that. That was also welfare but it specified what you could buy with it...each coupon was individual

Like good for :

one case of infant formula and it specified brands and sizes

then maybe....

30 jars of baby food....

same restrictions

This made sure the mother got the actual stuff the welfare baby needed !

other stuff, like that !

I don't know how WIC works now, but you got specific stuff, 30 years ago, it was a PIA to check these things out....but who cares when you are paid hourly as a HS kid....I'm going to be standing behind the cash register either way... if some boss needs to approve it or something.

It was uncommon back in 1980 in the 06437 zip code.

Last I knew they still have the WIC program. In our small town they almost beg people to be on it simply so they don't lose the funding to major cities in the state.

The income limit on it is very generous as well or at least it use to be...

My husband and I both had jobs that paid a fair amount above minimum wage and it was recommended for us. (Then again we also had three kids under the age of two at the time)

However, to buy the formula it would have cost us an arm and a leg especially since one of my twins had to have a special kind due to a stomach issue she had.

Well doing it that way at least assures the actual formula and whatever is in the hands of the mother in need, no food stamps or whatever, you have to buy this and only this for your baby....way harder to fence that, but still doable . If you're getting WIC stuff for your kid and trading that off for beer or drugs or whatever....well you should be executed.

That program probably works a whole lot better than traditional foodstamps

Say a crackhead gets $300 in FS on the 1st of the month....I'm sure somebody will drive him to the 24 hour supermarket at 12:01 am and go shopping and chew up the $300 instantly and give the crackhead $100- $150 cash....or even trade some rocks for it.

Blondie : Cool of you to admit you might have needed it temporarily !

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

They need to make crack more powerful so people die at a younger age.

I don't think you'll be finding many 65 + Crackheads down the road....

Blondie

EOG Master

Well doing it that way at least assures the actual formula and whatever is in the hands of the mother in need, no food stamps or whatever, you have to buy this and only this for your baby....way harder to fence that, but still doable . If you're getting WIC stuff for your kid and trading that off for beer or drugs or whatever....well you should be executed.

That program probably works a whole lot better than traditional foodstamps

Say a crackhead gets $300 in FS on the 1st of the month....I'm sure somebody will drive him to the 24 hour supermarket at 12:01 am and go shopping and chew up the $300 instantly and give the crackhead $100- $150 cash....or even trade some rocks for it.

Blondie : Cool of you to admit you might have needed it temporarily !

Figure it up.

Formula is approximately $100 a month or more.

Take that times two for twins that's $200 a month (not counting growth spurts where they ate every time you turned around) for the first year of life. (and factor in that we also had a 1 year old as well )

$1200+ alone in just formula

It was worth it not only for us but for those that would need it after us.

The state divides up the funding by the counties that use it. If people don't use it they move the funds to other counties.

For a family of five the upper limit on income is roughly 45k a year they are extremely lenient on income guidelines. (Not sure what it was in 2000 but this is current.)

Since we were both working we also had to factor in day care so basically we were able to offset the cost of daycare for three kids with what we saved in formula.

I do agree anyone that trades their WIC for beer or drugs should be shot.

I do know though that we would end up with so much extra that we ended up donating it to a local crisis center just so it didn't go to waste.

Blondie: I'm sure you are not an abuser of the system. I never suggested anything of the sort.

I like the concept of specific items for general food stamp receiving population, but it can't work like that....you can't give peanut butter to somebody allergic to peanuts for example. Are we to get diet specific for millions of recipiants ?

Certainly $25 / lb lobster tails or Alaskan king crab legs are abusing the system....you should get Chicken if you're poor, I got split breasts for $.99 /lb with a coupon today.

I respect you a lot more now, Blondie !

mr merlin

EOG Master

They should do away with any kind of card or money system to buy food items, replace it with pure handouts of basic items to feed them, such as potatoes, peanut butter, bread, ramen, baked beans, bologna, perhaps bananas, mealy apples in season, milk, generic corn flakes. All the cheap stuff, and make em show up every week in person and only give them what they need. The govt can boast and proclaim "no one will go hungry in this country, but if you want to eat good, get a job". This would cut the cost of welfare by 80% or more and give people a true incentive to get off it.

And no chicken either, only on holidays, but it has to be the big chicken leg quarters that no one wants.

Blondie

EOG Master

Blondie: I'm sure you are not an abuser of the system. I never suggested anything of the sort.

I like the concept of specific items for general food stamp receiving population, but it can't work like that....you can't give peanut butter to somebody allergic to peanuts for example. Are we to get diet specific for millions of recipiants ?

Certainly $25 / lb lobster tails or Alaskan king crab legs are abusing the system....you should get Chicken if you're poor, I got split breasts for $.99 /lb with a coupon today.

I respect you a lot more now, Blondie !

I didn't think you were Doug. I am sure a lot of people are not familiar with the program and if more were they might actually participate in it...

I gotta admit I miss the days of not having to pay for milk now that they go through a gallon and a half at least a day...

Interesting that you mention chicken though as I was at the store the other night and noticed the outrageous price of it and changed the dinner plans for the week around.

Of course I made my youngest of the twins mad as it was her week to plan the menus out.

Each week one of the kids plans the menu around a basic list that we have for them to choose from.

The kids that plans the best (most balanced but costs the least) menu for their week gets to keep the cash difference between their starting amount and how much they spent.

They have learned that junk food and extra crap costs money and reduces their chances of winning that month ;)

But as they get older they hopefully will have learned how even if they don't have a lot of cash to work with they can still eat healthier than the average person that doesn't realize the actual cost of things.

I don't know a whole lot about what babies need to survive. I'm guessing some formula needs might be extinguished by breast- feeding ?

Correct me if I'm wrong at any time here !

Blondie never mentions diaper cost, I assume she uses the expensive disposable non-green type ?

My mother was born in 10/ 1920

I was born in 11/ 1963.

So , I was born to a 43 year old mother in 1963.....I reckon I was an accident ? I'm pretty sure I was breast fed and wore cloth diapers that got washed.

When exactly did "Formula and Similac become needed" ?

I'm just sayin"

Blondie

EOG Master

I don't know a whole lot about what babies need to survive. I'm guessing some formula needs might be extinguished by breast- feeding ?

Correct me if I'm wrong at any time here !

Blondie never mentions diaper cost, I assume she uses the expensive disposable non-green type ?

My mother was born in 10/ 1920

I was born in 11/ 1963.

So , I was born to a 43 year old mother in 1963.....I reckon I was an accident ? I'm pretty sure I was breast fed and wore cloth diapers that got washed.

When exactly did "Formula and Similac become needed" ?

I'm just sayin"

No actually I didn't. I used cloth most of the time. I did use disposable ones though if we were going somewhere, were traveling a long distance, or when they were sick.

My oldest was prone to breaking out when I used the disposable diapers so it just wasn't worth it to switch after him.

Formula and Similac isn't necessarily needed but when you have a two year old and twins that were just born and then later have a three year old, two two year olds, and a newborn it sure does make a difference in actually getting to sleep for a few minutes at a time!

I'm not a mother or father, Blondie,

but I'll share one of my top 10 favorite songs of all-time

listen to the lyrics closely.....

Interesting lyrics!

Cheap is small and not too steep
But best of all cheap is cheap
Circumstance has forced my hand
To be a cut price person in a low budget land
Times are hard but we'll all survive
I just got to learn to economize

I'm on a low budget
I'm on a low budget
I'm not cheap, you understand
I'm just a cut price person in a low budget land
Excuse my shoes they don't quite fit
They're a special offer and they hurt me a bit
Even my trousers are giving me pain
They were reduced in a sale so I shouldn't complain
They squeeze me so tight so I can't take no more
They're size 28 but I take 34

I'm on a low budget
What did you say
I'm on a low budget
I thought you said that

I'm on a low budget
I'm a cut price person in a low budget land

I'm shopping at Woolworth and low discount stores
I'm dropping my standards so that I can buy more

Quality costs, but quality wastes,
So I'm giving up all of my expensive tastes.
Caviar and champagne are definite no's,
I'm acquiring a taste for brown ale and cod roes

Low budget sure keeps me on my toes
I count every penny and I watch where it goes
We're all on our uppers we're all going skint
I used to smoke cigars but now I suck polo mints

I'm on a low budget
What did you say
Yea I'm on a low budget
I thought you said that
I'm on a low budget
I'm on a low budget
Low budget
Low budget

Art takes time, time is money
Money's scarce and that ain't funny
Millionaires are things of the past
We're in a low budget film where nothing can last
Money's rare there's none to be found
So don't think I'm tight if I don't buy a round

I'm on a low budget
What did you say
Yes I'm on a low budget
I thought you said that
I'm on a low budget
I'm on a low budget
Say it again
Low budget
One more time
Low budget

I look like a tramp, but don't write me off,
I'll have you all know, I was once a toff
At least my hair is all mine, my teeth are my own,
But everything else is on permanent loan.
Once all my clothes were made by hand,
Now I'm a cut price person in a low budget land.
I'm on a low budget
I'll have you all know
We're on a low budget
I'm on a low budget

ajaysdreamplays

EOG Addicted

What bothers me is being at the movies, and watching a 12 year old kid who is 60-80 lbs. overweight with an extra large bucket of buttercorn and like-sized full strength coke.

I mean, don't parents actually parent anymore? Ok, don't answer that one.