Rangers fan dies going for ball

Re: Rangers fan dies going for ball

Josh Hamilton threw the foul ball to a fan who lost his balance and fell 20 feet right on his head.

People need to get over this obsession with catching a ball at a ballpark.

You see grown men tumbling over little kids and woman just to get a ball.

It's retarded and sometimes deadly.

Another sad note to this was his young son was right next to him and saw his dad fall to his death.

All for a damn baseball.

edit. conflicting details as to if that was his son or not.

not just men..remember that bitch last week that wrestled a ball away from a sweet little girl

what a flukish tragedywho goes to a ball game expecting to die..this is as tragic as the little girl who got killed by the hockey puck in the stands

MLB and the Rangers will be sued for not adequately protecting their fans. Bet it!

remember the monday night football game where some guy jumps like two stories to catch (successfully) a missed field goal

mr merlin

EOG Master

Looks like he could have grabbed the top of that fence as he fell, but wouldnt let go of the baseball,

MLB and the Rangers will be sued for not adequately protecting their fans. Bet it!
The Rangers should be sued. They have a waist high railing protecting the first row of fans from a 25 foot plunge or thereabouts. Seriously? They couldn't install a cheap mesh net along the top of that cavernous space to prevent someone from falling that far? It is entirely reasonable to think that fans in the first row will reach over and/or lean over the fence to catch a ball. I'm not one to advocate suing people unless there is merit, and this has merit written all over it.

Talk about a substandard duty of care.

It's very unlikely that the Rangers - or any other ML sports team - could be successfully sued for injuries sustained by a patron at their facility.

When you or I purchase a ticket to such events, we agree (per very detailed fine print on both the ticket and any related media like an online purchase) to preemptively waive all such potential liablility for either the club or the supporting facility.

mr merlin

EOG Master

The Rangers should be sued. They have a waist high railing protecting the first row of fans from a 25 foot plunge or thereabouts. Seriously? They couldn't install a cheap mesh net along the top of that cavernous space to prevent someone from falling that far? It is entirely reasonable to think that fans in the first row will reach over and/or lean over the fence to catch a ball. I'm not one to advocate suing people unless there is merit, and this has merit written all over it.

It's a shame what happened to the guy, but he and he alone is responsible. Not jumping over railings from high places is one of the hazards that people must face alone. The team, the govt, can't protect you, nor should they. Think of it this way, someday some kid(or adult) is going to be killed by a line drive ,should we put nets around the whole stadium to stop it(or perhaps force people to wear helmets)? Of course not, when it happens we 'll move on.

Flamingo kid

Everybody's hands go UP!

AND, they had a fan fall a year ago, so there was precedent to someone falling over the railings. No reason not to have a 'catch net' there. Shit, the Golden Gate Bridge has catch nets for people who want to jump, no reason this place shouldnt have one.

Of course now, they'll install them.

If a line drive hits someone in the head and kills them, I don't see how the stadium is responsible. There is a certain assumption of risk one takes in attending a game. Getting hit by a ball is one of those risks. But that tiny railing without any netting on the opposite side is not a risk anyone should take.

Here is what will happen: the guy's family will hire a lawyer and he'll find out 29 MLB stadiums have netting or some other structure so that no fan can fall that far and injure themselves. The only stadium I can think of that may have such a drop is the San Diego Chargers stadium. Those seats in the first row of the endzone are very high, but not as high as the Rangers' stadium, I don't believe. Even the announcers in that clip said there should be something stopping the fall.

mr merlin

EOG Master

If a line drive hits someone in the head and kills them, I don't see how the stadium is responsible. There is a certain assumption of risk one takes in attending a game. Getting hit by a ball is one of those risks. But that tiny railing without any netting on the opposite side is not a risk anyone should take.

Here is what will happen: the guy's family will hire a lawyer and he'll find out 29 MLB stadiums have netting or some other structure so that no fan can fall that far and injure themselves. The only stadium I can think of that may have such a drop is the San Diego Chargers stadium. Those seats in the first row of the endzone are very high, but not as high as the Rangers' stadium, I don't believe. Even the announcers in that clip said there should be something stopping the fall.
Evey stadium has upper decks all around the field, fans could and have fallen over onto the stands(and fans) below. You cant and shouldnt put nets everywhere.
It's the same when that idiot in sanfran climbed into the lion pit and some people said they should have had higher fences to stop drunk fools from doing that.

I agree, there shouldn't be nets everywhere. It is unreasonable to expect there to be a net on the upper deck for all sorts of reasons (e.g. there is not the same expectation for fans to reach over the railing in the upper deck, a net in the upper deck would obstruct the view of the game, no stadiums have it, etc).

However, if there already was a fan that fell over the rail at this same park last year and other MLB stadiums have instituted safety mechanisms to prevent this from happening, I think the Rangers are liable. The bottom line is that a cheap net could have prevented this from happening and it's entirely foreseeable that someone could fall over that railing reaching for a ball.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

Uh, every stadium in baseball has a drop from the upperdeck to the lower deck... US Cellular and Wrigley both do for sure - the fall is 20-40 feet in areas. There is no "net." The fan's family should sue because he was an idiot? It's sad, but not sure how you think there should be "catch nets" around an entire ballpark so fans can't fall to their death.

What "safety" mechanisms have teams put in place? Maybe I missed them all. Yankee Stadium doesn't have catch nets in their upper-deck in the outfield and balls can go there. People need to stop trying to blame everyone else in society for their mistakes and just accept that sometimes you do dumb things and sadly die.

Timely, you missed where I said there should not be nets in the upper deck.

mr merlin

EOG Master

They should put a small net directly under the spot where that fan fell from. Or perhaps have some area's "netted" and some that aren't, people could opt for net or net free zones. Seriously though, if they put up nets, people will be flying off those railings diving for the balls, they could still get hurt - then what?

If there is a net and someone gets hurt thats on them, IMO. At least then the stadium implemented a safety measure designed to prevent this from happening. It'd also depend on the fan's actions. Did the fan consume 10 beers, stand on the railing like a jackass, and then jump over when there was no ball hit near him? Here, there was a ball tossed his way and it's reasonable to think a fan will reach out for it.

I assure you that right now, whoever owns the Texas Rangers stadium is saying "oh shit..."

mr merlin

EOG Master

The point is that there's risk in everything, every ball game/golf tourny/plane ride/commute, and that risk is ok, it's acceptable that the risk level is not zero, there are more important things than human life and we accept that, otherwise society would demand we all drive 15 miles per hour wearing helmets.
I'm sure the rangers are worried, but hopefully everyone in those front rows will think twice after that guy fell, that awareness will do far more good than a few nets ever would.

SlipperyPete

EOG Dedicated

I am surprised this sort of thing doesnt happen more often. Stadiums should put protective netting under every level. Or make the the railings much higher at the edge

Fans do crazy things when balls come there way. Am remembering the fan who dropped his young daughter so he could catch a ball coming his way. Chances are the wording on the ticket will mean the Rangers can't be successfully sued for this fan's death, however, the right thing to do is put up a protective mesh to make sure this tragedy isn't repeated.

markinsac

EOG Dedicated

Did you notice the new Yankee Stadium's upper deck isn't as steep as the Old Yankee Stadium . . .This will be a wake-up call for more safety measures for fans.

Oh. good grief.

A father gets caught up in the moment to snare a baseball for his kid. I don't know any father who wouldn't do the same thing. It ends badly. I would bet the player is devastated (no good deed goes unpunished), and the son is also.

But calls for netting and chickenwire to be hoisted to protect the fans from themselves is a bit much. The MLB isn't lucha libre in Mexico City.

Timely Hero

Jacoby Blows

It's for sure devastating, and the saddest part about it is that the kid - I imagine - will relate baseball to his fathers death the rest of his life. Can you imagine the feeling of the little boy? This may seem heartless, but I don't mean it that way, but thank god the kid was young enough where he may not fully remember. The sad thing is that it's something tough to forget. It's tragic, but it's not anyone's fault. Accidents happen in life, and there's simply nothing you can do about it.

High Times

EOG Master

How does any animal (humans included) put themselves in that position?

I mean come on.

YOU

HAVE

TO

BE

SMARTER

THEN

THAT

What is happening is that so many things in life are now being done for the average human that they have lost all their natural PROTECTION INSTINCTS.

I blame this country and it's WE WILL TAKE CARE OF EVERYTHING FOR YOU crap

High Times

EOG Master

Humans are thinking for themselves less and less and 1 day they (humans) will not think for themselves even 1% of the time.

VegasRandy

EOG Veteran

Stadiums, like all buildings, have to meet the safety codes governed by law. The stadium would not have been approved if it didn't meet all the legal safety codes. I think that's the argument the Rangers lawyers will make and it's a damn good argument. You want to sue then sue the legal body that govern safety codes.

High Times

EOG Master

The dumbest part of all.

If the fan just dropped the ball.

Hamilton would have made sure the fan (THE KID) got another one.

Every game I have gone to a game, when a fan can't get a ball that a player wanted him to get.

They always made sure the fan gets one.

The fan is/was just stupid and it costs him his life.

mr merlin

EOG Master

The guy died clutching that baseball, his kid deserves it, thats about all the man did right...but he did get the ball.

High Times

EOG Master

He also reached way out in front of another guy Hamilton might have been throwing the ball to.

He had to have the ball. The kid was in the middle of them and Hamilton might not have known who the kids Father was.

But the guy did reach way in front of the other guy.

Amazingly sad shit for the kid though.

Imagine that happening to you as a child.

High Times

EOG Master

The more I wathed it the more I can see that the man had no business even trying to catch the fucking ball.

Hamilton didn't throw it to him and he tried to steal the throw and it cost him his life.

Sucks for the child.

And they said he died from a heart attack later at the hospital.

He was awake and alert the whole way to the hospital.

Boys911

EOG Addicted

And now at last night's game Hamilton hits a foul ball that hits a fan in the head resulting with that fan getting stitches. He's having a rough two days.

How valuable are these balls?
The stories you can tell all the family and friends and neighbors who come over or who you come in contact with.
About how you jumped over 16 people(some females and little kids) and you would NOT BE DENIED!

Its just a fucking ball.

If its a momentous homerun ball I can see the frenzy of going after it with reckless abandon.
A foul ball?
If a player throws you a ball and you can't clearly get it without going over a rail,then your life or getting seriously injured is not worth the prize.

pro's and con's. It's a simple concept.