So is Deron Williams going to play in Turkey or not?

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
I keep reading conflicting reports. Apparently he signed a deal but it's only valid if the lockout continues?

Other stars could follow-- giving the middle finger to the league.

Interesting turn of events here.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler
Re: So is Deron Williams going to play in Turkey or not?

New York Times
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/08/s...iams-reaches-deal-to-play-in-turkey.html?_r=1

“We confirm” the contract with Williams, said Ergin Ataman, the coach of the Turkish team Besiktas, in a telephone interview Thursday.

Ataman said that the deal should become official in the next 24 hours and that Besiktas’s president, Seref Yalcin, would join Williams for a news conference in the United States next week.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Of course, now the rumors really start. They're even saying Kobe Bryant is 'open to considering overseas offers.' It looks like we won't be having basketball this year.

I need to get some of these international channels that show Euro ball.

JAKEPEAVY21

EOG Dedicated

I hope a bunch of them sign 1 year contracts overseas and say FU to the league

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

They should all try and sign conditional contracts overseas. Thats the one place where the NBA is screwed because basketball is huge throughout Europe and these guys can make enough that they wouldnt get too hurt from an extended lockout.

Chessman

EOG Dedicated

These guys are already set for life, Nick. Getting "too hurt" doesn't apply here.

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

They should all try and sign conditional contracts overseas. Thats the one place where the NBA is screwed because basketball is huge throughout Europe and these guys can make enough that they wouldnt get too hurt from an extended lockout.

I'd love to see Stern's face after finding out a bunch of the stars decided to sign conditional contracts. The NBA better be careful here.

JAKEPEAVY21

EOG Dedicated

I'd love to see Stern's face after finding out a bunch of the stars decided to sign conditional contracts. The NBA better be careful here.

agree...I think it's great the players are being proactive

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

You know Rudy Fernandez is loving it. Hell, he didn't want to come back the last time. :LMAO

Lots of things need to be taken into consideration first. Here are a few thoughts that spring to mind:

1) Does "conditional" mean the contract only takes effect if there is no start to the NBA season on time?

2) What happens to an NBA player under contract in Europe if the lockout ends and the NBA imposes a 50-game season with a late start date? Can he simply abandon his European team without consequence? Would he have to return part of his signing bonus?

3) When do the European leagues begin play? Is it different from country to country?

4) Can players currently under contract with an NBA team play overseas or do some contracts preclude it even in the event of a lockout?

5) If an NBA player under contract goes overseas and suffers an injury that impairs his ability to play in the NBA down the road, what happens?

KingRevolver

Born Rambler

Good questions.

I know the Euro League, which has teams from different countries. That's the highest level of basketball there, and I believe that's where players are talking about, when they mention playing overseas. And, I think, certain countries, also have their own smaller leagues.

I assume that the contract would state that if at any time the NBA season resumes, then the player is free to go.

I'm not really sure of everything... but it sure is an interesting turn of events...

NickPappagiorgio

EOG Dedicated

The way I understand it Doughboy is that once the owners lockout players, they are free to sign a contract with a different league and make a living. I am guessing that contracts are only enforceable while the NBA is "working" and once owners lock out players then the existing contracts are not in effect until the NBA "goes back to work." So knowing this, any european contract has to have language in it that states once a new NBA CBA is done, then the player goes back to the states. Now since the players NBA contract is somewhat frozen, my guess is that the owner would still owe the player any money on his contract even if he got injured overseas.

Nick, I agree that NBA contracts should be invalid if there is a lockout so that players have the right to earn a living. Hypothetically, if there was a five year lockout, I don't see how the NBA can prevent a player from earning a salary for that time.

Believe it or not, however, this is not a clear cut issue for players under contract. Check out this article from cnnsi.com: The Point Forward ? Posts Nets’ Williams taking his talents to Turkey? ?

FIBA is another obstacle for players under contract that wish to play overseas.

nomamesguey

EOG Senior Member

i wonder is Lebron goes to Greece I hope he stays there

Turkey's population is over 99% Islamic if secular people of Islamic background are included (per Wikipedia).

I'll pass.